Yikes please tell me I am reading this syn value wrong!!

debs3693

I made the mistake of eating the biscuits BEFORE i checked their syn value:

McVities Go Ahead Apple & Sultana crisp slices - says 3 syns per slice but they are only small biscuits and there are 3 in the pack and I ate all 3 ahem!! please tell me this actually means 3 syns per pack. I thought these would be a good alternative to Bourbon biscuits!! what am i going to eat now with my evening cup of tea?!

They are nearly 60 calories a slice, with no free food allowance, so yes 3 syns is right.

And just look at the ingredients:

Wheat Flour, Sultanas (28%), Sugar, Apple Paste (9%) (Sugar, Humectant (Glycerine), Dextrose Monohydrate, Wheat Bran, Apple Concentrate, Glucose - Fructose Syrup, Gelling Agent (Pectin), Ground Cinnamon, Flavourings, Citric Acid, Acidity Regulators (Sodium Citrate, Calcium Citrate), Vegetable Oil), Vegetable Oil, Water, Maltodextrin, Dried Whey, Salt, Raising Agents (Disodium Diphosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Ammonium Bicarbonate), Ground Cinnamon, Glazing Agent (Glucose Syrup, Dried Whole Milk, Thickener (Modified Potato Starch)), Rice Flour, Flavourings.

Sugar, Dextrose (sugar), glucose (sugar), fructose (sugar), glucose syrup (sugar).

They are lower in fat than most biscuits, but a lot of products which are pushed as healthy because of a lack of one ingredient are often higher in something else just as bad!

Oh dear, and I thought i was doing so well!! I have to say I am finding the calculating syn values confusing as things that i would think would be low syn values don't appear to be - like the Go Ahead biscuits!!
I don't suppose anyone can recommend any other biscuits that are more syn-friendly?!

Friendly biscuits! Now that would be nice. But unlikely.

All biscuits are full of fat and sugar. Even the "low-fat" ones that are pretending to be "healthy". In fact, you can more or less guarantee that if a label on a manufactured product says that it is low in something, it will be high in something else just as bad. They are trying to sell you something and they don't care how healthy you are.

Just look at all that rubbish in the ingredients list for the Go Ahead biscuits! Who are they trying to kid? The problem is that the information you need is in the very small print on the back of the packaging - so get out the magnifying glass and read all the stuff they would rather you didn't!

If you do check out the nutritional information on the packet, you can roughly calculate 1 syn per 20 calories for things like biscuits which don't have any free food content.

Pink and whites are 2.5 syns for a large wafer biscuit with mallow inside, my consultant cuts them into smaller pieces and eats a bit with every cup of tea throughout the day.

Rich tea biscuits are also quiet low syns at 2 syns per biscuit.

I like biscuits but I have a problem stopping at one tho!

I find the little individual packs stops me from eating too many

Two weightwatchers ginger biscuits in individual packets for 4.5 syns

The mini Jammie dodgers per 20g pack are only 4 syns for 4 mini biscuits.

I know biscuits, cakes and chocolates are full of sugar and things that aren't good for me but my approach is that if I cut them out completely I just crave them more so I have found lower syn alternatives that are within my daily syn value and stop me feel deprived. This has stopped me bingeing on' forbidden foods' like I have done on other 'diets'.

I'm willing to change the way I eat for the rest of my life but I can't live the rest of my life without biscuits and slimming world wouldn't expect me to.

Also ginger nuts are 2.5 each and little bags of cadbury animals are only 5 syns for the bag!
I agree with Wiz Bit totally, a little bit of what you fancy does you good!
Like, for example, i'm a right choccie head, and in the fridge now i have curly wurly's (6) and mini treat bags of buttons (4) which fit perfectly into my daily sins ( i like to save mine until the evening, at least 7pm as that's when my munchie monsters come out :p) but if i didn't have any choccie in the house, i would be going to the shop and buying big bars at 20+ syns and would scoff the lot!
Knowing i have them, and am allowed them, actually helps me restrain myself

Don't be so hard on yourself, it's done, now you know better and you still have 6 syns left, which you can save for your evening cuppa :) x

As this thread has been revived, I looked at the posting I made a week ago, and now I feel that it comes across rather harshly, which I didn't mean at all.

I wasn't meaning to say that you shouldn't have biscuits or other treats - that's what your syns are for, and I certainly do!

It was just a bit of a rant because I get really cross with the whole low-this, low-that, good for you, labelling racket, which is so misleading. And if it came across as being critical of the original poster, it was totally unintentional, and I'm sorry.

I completely understand where you are coming from with companies selling 'healthy foods'. I also think it is a bit sneaky of go ahead to promote their biscuits as 60 Cal... tiny tiny print per slice!! One of my work colleagues got caught out by the same biscuits!

I'm always surprised by some items... Ran out of extra light mayo and was shocked by the fat and calories of the full fat mayo in our fridge, so shocked I went without!

I have just discovered Aldi's chocolate covered rice cakes. I think they are a millions times better than snack a jacks. Much more chocolatey ad really satisfy a sweet craving and cheaper. They are 3 syns each but definately worth it. I would definately recommend them if you are wanting biscuits/a sweet treat. X

Back