You know how big the loss is during 1st week

charlottegrace1

Gold Member
When anyone first starts SW they tend to have a large weight loss the first week, why do you think this is? Most of it is probably water but what foods get rid of it that you eat when starting SW that you weren't eating before. I cann't say that my foods have changed much on SW other than I'm not eating fats, and the bread has been reduced. Obviously the treats have reduced but other than that food is pretty much the same, and I wouldn't have thought fats, bread and treats would have had the water retention factor to such an extent. Does anyone have any ideas on this.

I have hardly eaten any bread since I started. I bought a looaf of nimble 4 weeks ago when I started and there is still half left in the freezer.

In fact I haven't had as many high carb foods as I would have done, but thats because i'm following red, but I have noticed if I follow a green menu even for a day it leaves me feeling very bloated and uncomfortable.

In the last 2 weeks I have eaten very little fruit :eek: but loads of veg, not sure if its coincidence, but I have lost nearly 10lbs in 2 weeks.

For me its not a case of what I have started eating, but what I have cut out.

For me, I think it is definitely what I have cut out.
I have totally cut out bread, crisps, cakes and chocolate. I used to eat huge amounts of those. My meals are more or less the same as they have always been.

So given what you two are saying then, do you think that high carb foods contribute to fluid retention. I'm obviously not including things like tatties and pasta and rice etc, cos they make up the basics of green days and good weight loss is to be had doing this, but they are low in GI if they are brown etc aren't they. Maybe thats how the bread limitation works on SW, you tend to have bread with a filling etc which would bring the GI rating down on the overall meal if you are following my plot in my own little world lol. So in CG's world, does this mean that low GI foods are good for getting rid of fluid?

Personally I think you need to factor in that when you first start most people throw themselves into it 100%, you don't want to let yourself down and you know you're going to be held accountable at the next weigh in. It's quite a novelty in the beginning lol

I lost half a pound in my first week and the most I've lost in any week (been doing it for 11) is 2 1/2 pounds! For me it's definitely what I've cut down on - alcohol, bread, crisps and dips etc. which is helping me with the weight loss! Having said that I also thought I was a 'red' girl but last week had more green days and had my biggest loss! x

to be honest CG if I do eat rice, pasta I always eat white, but we do eat Basmati rice, which, is suppossed to be the lowest GI of all rices including brown so I am led to believe from one of those biggest loser programmes.

I did try to follow RC low GI plan from the book, but it didn't suit me and I couldn't adapt to so readily to the family, however on that plan you can eat seeded brown bread which I love, so if I was following that plan it would still be part of my diet, but as SW don't allow it as a heb, I don't miss it.

I don't know about carbs causing fluid retention I just know it makes me feel bloated, whether that makes a difference to weightloss or not I don't know. The girl I sit with in class has lost a stone in 5 weeks following only green.

I may try a week of green after xmas and see what happens :D

Back