Zingy red pepper risotto

piX128

This is an adaptation of a dish I've cooked before. All I've done is omit the frying the onion in a tablespoon of oil and it hasnt made a difference to the taste in my opinion. I think this will be syn free on a green day if you use the cheese as a Hex. Or, like me, have it without the cheese anyway !

Zingy oven baked red pepper risotto ( serves 4 )

300g risotto rice, rinsed
500g veg stock
Half an onion, finely diced , or two spring onions chopped
Tin of tomatoes ( with herbs and garlic, or plain - whatever you prefer )
Two red peppers - halved and sliced
6-8 roquito peppers / pimentos ( the ones in brine in a jar ), chopped into small pieces - choose the strength you like from mild to hot!
Grated cheese - optional ( will be either HE or syn)
lemon wedge and black pepper to serve

pre heat oven to gm5 / 190 degrees

saute the chopped onion in a little of the veg stock and a spoonful of the liquid from the pepper jar til transparent. Add the rice and cook for a further couple of minutes - add a little more stock if needed just to keep it loose in the pan, not swimming.

remove from the heat and add the sliced fresh peppers, the chopped jar peppers, tinned tomatoes and the rest of the stock. Stir and transfer to an oven proof dish. Cover with foil and place in the pre heated oven.

it takes about 20-25 mins to cook. I usually check at 15 mins and give it a good stir to make sure the rice is well distributed in the stock as it cooks. From then on I just judge how long it will take and keep checking until it is. You should get the same texture as you get from a stove top cooked risotto. If it starts to look a bit dry but the rice isnt cooked just add a little bit more hot water or stock and stir well before returning to the oven. If you overcook it, the same as on the hob method, the rice breaks down and goes a bit stodgy.

when cooked, serve hot. Its the tangyness of the jar peppers that gives it the extra zing, and even using the hot ones doesnt make it too hot as its a relatively small ingredient in amongst the rice and fresh peppers. Add the cheese if you're using it( remember you need to count this as a HEx or syn it ), and/or a squeeze of lemon and black pepper. Serve with a big salad for your 1/3rd super free.

I hope Ive worked it out ok syn wise and not missed something, other than the optional cheese. Can someone correct me if I've got something wrong please - Im still learning :D xx

I get mine out of Lidl - they come in a huge jar for £1.69. They don't come in different heats though. Great for adding to soups, pasta dishes and home-made hoummous :)

Last edited:
PatchworkPuss said:
I get mine out of Lidl - they come in a huge jar for £1.69. They don;t some in different heats though. Great for adding to soups, pasta dishes and home-made hoummous :)

Brilliant thanks, will find out where the nearest one is :eek:)

thanks puss, I'll stock up there instead as thats much cheaper. I just love the boost of flavour they give things x

Back