February money challenge

I'm not sure if i can say February has been great, on the one hand i paid a decent chunk off the catalogue (it's 0% so no interest) which is good, but on the other hand hubby got a new drum kit so i had to take £250 off what i would have paid otherwise and will continue to have to do for the next 3 months (unless i can pay it quicker which i'm thinking about as i feel really uncomfortable about owing friends money, hubby got off his mate and is paying him in 4 installments)

Putting my own money aside from not spending it, is £50 so far :)

Last edited:
It's really not my month I don't think!! Car died again today *sigh*

Had to call a tow truck as the steering wheel was moving but the wheels weren't!! Eeeekkkk!! Something very wrong there lol

I just hope my dad can pull his usual magic and get it done for parts charges and free labour as he works in the motor trade! Fingers crossed!

Will be glad when march starts and I can start saving again.:)
Been away and spent a fortune.Kitchen extension is nearly finished and all paid for so very happy we didn't have to have a loan for it.So except the mortgage we are still debt free.:)

Need to find a savings account with the best interest for the year as I don't intend any more big spending for a year.:)

We use moneyfacts.co.uk you can filter by whichever investment you're looking for ;)

I've spent a lot of time looking into car insurance today and my brain is now frazzled!

The company we are currnetly insured with will go down about £40 on what the autorenewal price was going to be but still think I can get cheaper by going through Quidco just never sure whether should change or not!

Our breakdown cover was also going to be auto renewed at about £50 more this year and with a call from hubby they knocked it back down again!

Just a reminder that it is worth shopping around and not just accepting the auto renewal prices

For insurance ALWAYS shop around. I would say your best bet is a comparison website as it saves lots of time.

And it is def not worth sticking with a car insurer if you can get cheaper elsewhere unless they offer other benefits. You take your no claims discount with you so swap if it makes a better deal!!

For insurance ALWAYS shop around. I would say your best bet is a comparison website as it saves lots of time.

And it is def not worth sticking with a car insurer if you can get cheaper elsewhere unless they offer other benefits. You take your no claims discount with you so swap if it makes a better deal!!
I'm still undecided lol

Tried a couple of comparison sites as they offer different deals.

Quotes ranged from 2 hundred and something to 7 hundred and something lol

Wow that's a big difference!! I would go for the best price but make sure it includes breakdown and courtesy car as a minimum if it was me. Mine is up in July so I'll have to start shopping around before long!

somehow I've managed to get my car insurance this year for 1/3 of the price I paid last 2 years! Must be because I'm 30 this year (and that's making all the difference to my driving - not)

Hey guys :)

Question time

How much do you think is enough "pocket money" for an adult?
We have a budget and everything is listed in it and then we each have a set amount every week which is for whatever. Takeaways, cigs, munchies, magazines, films anything really that doesn't come under essential.

Am looking for a way to save a bit more and that's the only area it can come from

Thank you :) xx

I'd say work it out by what you can afford?
Or record what you spend on those sort of things and work out what you can afford to cut out comfortably?
I manage in 25 quid a week unless I am going out or have something particular on and often have some left it then I don't smoke x

Currently we have £50 each a week which I've got down from £100 over the last year as we got added bills.
I normally don't spend all mine and try and put little bits away.
Hubby however commutes to London and has always run out of money by the end of the week.
It is added into the monthly budget, and it's usually the first thing to be taken from if needed elsewhere x

Currently we have £50 each a week which I've got down from £100 over the last year as we got added bills.
I normally don't spend all mine and try and put little bits away.
Hubby however commutes to London and has always run out of money by the end of the week.
It is added into the monthly budget, and it's usually the first thing to be taken from if needed elsewhere x
How much would you like to save out of it?

How much would you like to save out of it?

I'd like to save about £200 a month, but think that might be stretching it a bit. I know I can't take it off his, so that leaves me using as little of mine as possible.

I think we need some kind of savings, we don't have anything yet, and I know a few people with less money, more dependants and they actually have savings for emergencies and rainy days!

Have been pretty lax this year, and have added bills instead of taking them away.
I'm gonna have to learn to say no to hubby which I hate as he works so hard and hates his job. (I do all the finances so asks me if he can have something)

Back