Fit and Fab for 30

I'm not sure I'll be able to settle any of your little panics but let's see:

I use quite a bit of garlic too but I do cheat a bit by using garlic granules. You don't have to touch it so no risk of smelly hands. To be honest I've not used real garlic in years so I'd have no idea if the granules are any better or worse flavour-wise but it's fine for me so I'll be sticking with it.

I'm getting through a lot of fruit and veg too but when I sat down and compared my total food bill it hasn't really changed any since I started SW. It's just that the money is going on different stuff - instead of crisps, biscuits etc., it's going on fresh fruit and vegetables. I think you mentioned in a previous post that your local market was good value for fruit and veg but have you tried places like Lidl and Aldi? I get a lot from Aldi and can't fault it.

It doesn't look to me like you're eating too much and if you are only eating until you're hungry then I can't see that it is a problem. I suppose you can only see what you're WI results are like and judge it from there. The main thing is that you're eating the right things.

I can't really comment on the exercise increasing you're appetite because I don't do enough of it to be able to judge!! I would imagine that it would increase it though.

I was also having leakage problems when transporting my lunch to work. Instead of a cool lunch box though, I invested in a Thermos for my soup. The microwave in my office is miles away and it was only a matter of time before tripped over or something while carrying my burning hot soup back to my desk so I decided I'd heat it up in the morning and stick it in the Thermos. It's great, keeps it hot until lunch and no queuing for the microwave anymore!

Well done for sticking to plan and good luck for tomorrow morning, can't wait to hear how you get on.

Week 1 weigh in

Well, I lost 2 lbs and I know I shouldn't be but I was a little disappointed. You always see that everyone has huge losses on the first week and 2lbs isn't huge but as Ben reminded me it is 2lb in the right direction. Also a bit peeved that Ben also lost 2lb and he went drinking and hadn't been sticking to plan. Grrr! Anyway it's a new week, and new chance to lose some more.

Bev, you are so right about the money thing, I'd forgotten those evenings when we just pop to the corner shop for a bottle of wine and how much they add up!

Had a rubbish afternoon/evening yesterday. Was suddenly exhausted, and fell asleep on the tube on the way home (at 2.30) managed only 2.5k on the exercise bike and went to bed at 9.30. Didn't venture far from what was planned for yesterday didn't have the pitta breads (as Ben had eaten them!) and made a sw quiche and ate some of that in the evening for my HexA. I did eat a choccie biscuit with Grace (5 syns) and another couple of splashes of milk bringing my syn total up to 7.5.
Also snacked on some smoked salmon (the perils of being home in the afternoon).

Today's plan is
B - 2 clementines and 1 apple - not much I know, lack of planning on my behalf completely
L - canteen lunch as we have knitting club today (I've never knitted before so this could be interesting!) Pre -planned for a jacket potato with beans and baby gem lettuce (the menu says caesar but I'm not having the croutons or dressing) and a diet coke
D - Ben is cooking he said chicken katsu curry with egg fried rice so that will be my HexB for the day.
Have only used a splash of milk so far today so need to think of something for HexA, maybe some more of the quiche this evening (if there is any left!).

Still feeling sluggish and zapped so hope I perk up this evening for some exercise.

I want to get fit and fab for 60 this year! If I dont do it now I will be in a wheelchair!

Well, I lost 2 lbs and I know I shouldn't be but I was a little disappointed. You always see that everyone has huge losses on the first week and 2lbs isn't huge but as Ben reminded me it is 2lb in the right direction. Also a bit peeved that Ben also lost 2lb and he went drinking and hadn't been sticking to plan. Grrr! Anyway it's a new week, and new chance to lose some more.

Bev, you are so right about the money thing, I'd forgotten those evenings when we just pop to the corner shop for a bottle of wine and how much they add up!

Had a rubbish afternoon/evening yesterday. Was suddenly exhausted, and fell asleep on the tube on the way home (at 2.30) managed only 2.5k on the exercise bike and went to bed at 9.30. Didn't venture far from what was planned for yesterday didn't have the pitta breads (as Ben had eaten them!) and made a sw quiche and ate some of that in the evening for my HexA. I did eat a choccie biscuit with Grace (5 syns) and another couple of splashes of milk bringing my syn total up to 7.5.
Also snacked on some smoked salmon (the perils of being home in the afternoon).

Today's plan is
B - 2 clementines and 1 apple - not much I know, lack of planning on my behalf completely
L - canteen lunch as we have knitting club today (I've never knitted before so this could be interesting!) Pre -planned for a jacket potato with beans and baby gem lettuce (the menu says caesar but I'm not having the croutons or dressing) and a diet coke
D - Ben is cooking he said chicken katsu curry with egg fried rice so that will be my HexB for the day.
Have only used a splash of milk so far today so need to think of something for HexA, maybe some more of the quiche this evening (if there is any left!).

Still feeling sluggish and zapped so hope I perk up this evening for some exercise.

2lb is still good! I know what you mean tho, we have expectations and if we don't meet them were disappointed even though we've done good. If you hadn't started a diet, you could be 2lb heavier, rather than lighter!!
one thing I've noticed is if I've not had enough fibre the day before, I'm heavier if you get my drift, so maybe up your fibre? Men find it easier to lose weight than women and can eat more and still lose weight. Don't let that dishearten you! You've just got to keep on and ull get to goal :)
Good luck for your week ahead xx

Susie - totally agree with Emma. It's never too late, how are you finding it? x

Emma - Thank you. I hadn't really thought about the fibre thing, really must make sure I keep the HexB up and will probably start using some syns for a bit of extra fibre 2 days before weigh in to allow time for it to 'pass' :D
2 lbs is still a lot when you think of it in turns of almost a bag of sugar, so I'm using that to help me feel better.

Well done on the 2lb off! Although it's a fantastic result, I do understand your disappointment - I lost 2lb in my first week but my sister had joined a week earlier and lot 5lb, so I think I had been hoping for/expecting a bigger loss than I got. Randomly in my 3rd week though, I lost 6lb(!) although some of it's gone back on over Xmas :(, it just goes to show that you don't always lose most on your first week. I'm also convinced that I'm seeing more of a loss in size rather than in weight. The trousers that were a bit tight for me before Xmas are now looking like they're too big, even though the scales are showing only a 5½ loss since I started.

Thanks for the encouragement. Over the years twice I have lost 4 st... total 8st...1st. time with counting cals... 2nd time with WW about 10 years ago.. 2011 I started SW with my son (he lost 7lb the first week and both lost over 1st altogether until hubby and I moved house which meant a different class... Son and I didnt like the class much and lost motivation with the consultant and the other girls didnt seem to have lost much weight despite being there for years.. I have been on Anti depressants for about 3 years now and that hasnt helped with being in the right mind set and now recently being diagnosed with "borderline" underactive thyroid.. I feel now is the time to move on and forget about the past and think about my health in the future... No one else can do it except me... no one force feeds me and puts food in my mouth so I need to be in more control. I can remember how wonderful it was to lose the weight before and want to experience the same feeling.. It is really exciting to be able to fit into clothes properly and actually feeling lighter... I am so determined again to do this as I really like this way of eating.

Thanks for the encouragement. Over the years twice I have lost 4 st... total 8st...1st. time with counting cals... 2nd time with WW about 10 years ago.. 2011 I started SW with my son (he lost 7lb the first week and both lost over 1st altogether until hubby and I moved house which meant a different class... Son and I didnt like the class much and lost motivation with the consultant and the other girls didnt seem to have lost much weight despite being there for years.. I have been on Anti depressants for about 3 years now and that hasnt helped with being in the right mind set and now recently being diagnosed with "borderline" underactive thyroid.. I feel now is the time to move on and forget about the past and think about my health in the future... No one else can do it except me... no one force feeds me and puts food in my mouth so I need to be in more control. I can remember how wonderful it was to lose the weight before and want to experience the same feeling.. It is really exciting to be able to fit into clothes properly and actually feeling lighter... I am so determined again to do this as I really like this way of eating.

You've come to the right place! The SW plan is amazing, so simple compared to others I've tried, and this forum is great for keeping you motivated. Good luck!

we are feeling the same too... so nice to feel full but not overflowing

no one force feeds me and puts food in my mouth so I need to be in more control..

I totally agree with this! I'm starting to get the ability to say no to food, even resisted the box of yummy Christmas biscuits at Mum's earlier this week. If you really want to lose weight, have done it before and are enjoying it you will succeed. Are you going to a new group or doing it from home? x

Bev - It's nice to be reassured that not everyone has a massive drop the first week, maybe I'll be a slow and steadier. I did think about measuring some bits of me to see if I was losing inches, but don't really know where to start so I might look into that this evening. Some inches off my bum and tum would not be missed! x

EmmaB - I remember those nights (a whole large dominoes pizza) and then not being able to sleep cos your tummy is about to burst. I have been feeling a bit 'sloshy' though with all the liquid I'm drinking! x

I thought I better get my updating back on track before I forget something....

Wednesday:
I pretty much stuck to what I had planned. The Katsu Curry was absolutely gorgeous! You would never believe it was a 'diet' recipe. Well Done Ben for finding that one. I did have a flake for pud (8.5 syns) which was naughty (still within syn limit though) and oh so yummy and a small ferero rocher type thing (3.5 syns). I also counter-acted it with a mammoth 20k on the exercise bike (which I did in just under 40 mins). I had some achey legs the next morning though.

Thursday:
B - 2 poached eggs, baked beans and 2 wholemeal toast (HexB)
L - Jacket potato with beans and a ML
D - Spaghetti Bolognaise with heaps of veg and broccoli and spinach on the side and some cheddar on top (HexA)
P- Eton Mess (4 syns)
S - 2 clementines and a banana, M&S skinny crisps (4.5 syns)
Also had some milk in my teas through the day so possibly another 3 syns.

I lacked a bit on superfree for breakfast and lunch on Thurs so need to make up for that. Also need to lay off the beans 'parp'!

Today's plan:
B - 2 Alpen Light (HexB) - The cherry bakewell one is delish and these are on offer in sainsburys at the moment and a banana.
L - Ainsley mediterranean veg cous cous (1 syn) with a load of roasted veg added and a mullerlight.
D - No idea yet, there is some left over bolognaise so it might be that. in which case I'll add some cheese too. (HexB)
S - 2 clementines, sweet chilli ryvita minis (5.5 syns).

I didn't do any exercise yesterday after a overly long drawn out bedtime routine with Grace I literally could not face it. I did have a walk at lunch though but will make up for it tonight.

Has anyone else noticed there skin is a bit cr*p since re-starting? I guess it's probably all the punishing things I did to my body over Christmas coming out! Still no alcohol since NYE which is probably a personal best. I'm hoping I can hold out il

Has anyone else noticed there skin is a bit cr*p since re-starting? I guess it's probably all the punishing things I did to my body over Christmas coming out!

Yes!! Mine is terrible just now, it's verging on embarrassing! I definitely think it's because of the over indulging at Christmas and New Year so hopefully it won't be like this for long. I suppose that's yet another reason to carry on with the plan.

Glad it's not just me. I've had 3 whoppers and I never usually get spots. Feel like I'm 13 not almost 30!

I'm rubbish at updating this at weekends as I'm too busy running around after Grace. Luckily I still manage to scribble in my notebook so I don't forget anything. I haven't been particuarly bad or particuarly great this weekend and have failed at exercise, other than walking everywhere.

Friday was changed slightly, dinner was chicken jalfrezi with rice. Dad made it with a jar of sharwood's sauce which I'm not sure of the syns of. Tesco finest version was 14 syns and I had a third but gonna say 7 syns to be on the safe side plus 3 quality street so total syns were 15.5 (estimated).

Saturday - again a bit naughty
B - Oat so simple (HexB) made with skimmed milk (HexA) with banana and cinnamon. I must have this more often it was yummy!
L - I went to the cafe with my family and had good intentions (but only half stuck to them). 1 slice of white toast (4 syns), beans, tomatoes, 1/2 sausage (not sure of the brand so allowing 2 syns), bacon and egg (no idea how these were cooked but would think a big flat grill but with some oil).
D - Oven baked salmon with SW chips, spinach and peas.
More syns - Choccie biccie (4 syns) and meringue nest (2.5) with heaps of frozen berries and some ff fromage frais mixed with sweetner.
Total syns (12.5 plus some for oil) :eek:

Sunday -
B - Oat so simple (HexB) with semi-skimmed milk (HexA all we had in the house) with some frozen berries
S - Apple and clementine
L - Omelette with bacon and mushrooms with a side salad of tomatoes, beetroot and cucumber
D - Chicken, lemon and garlic casserole with rice (this turned out yummy, I'd adapted it from a bbc recipe and pretty much added four times the veg and bunged it in the slow cooker.) My fave types of meal are bung it all in and hope for the best!
Syns - 10 ritz crackers, I can't resist these and we'd bought them for Grace's lunch. (10 syns)

Today I'm trying to really stick to plan and WILL exercise no matter what! Hoping to cut my syns down a tiny bit to make up for the weekend too.

B - Apple and a banana
L - Carrot and lentil soup (homemade so free) and 4 ryvita (Hex B) plus 2 clementines.
D - I've taken some chicken breasts out of the freezer but no idea what I'm going to do with them yet. So will do some searching online in a bit and probably use my hex a in it and just syn any milk I've had in tea today.

I need to get a rough plan sorted for the week as it is a busy one for both me and Ben and don't want to slip up due to lack of planning. I also need to do the 'big' shop as it is payday tomorrow and the freezer is looking a bit low. I'm sure that will give me some inspiration. I have to get some quick grabs in too, pasta n sauce, mug shots and alpen bars. Any other suggestions? I have to hide them from Ben or he just eats the lot without thinking. He tends to be quite lazy at cooking if there is just him. I am similar but I'll make an omelette or simple pasta rather than just eat an alpen bar. He's also awful at planning if I don't provide anything. Both days this weekend as he has been at work he has taken and eaten nothing until he gets home and then dinner is not enough and he goes through the cupboards in search of snacks while I'm happily content after dinner.

I feel as if my dry time may come to an end this week. We have knitting club on Wednesday at a pub near work and I think a post payday glass of wine may be in order. I haven't been saying dry January to anyone so don't feel like it is a cop out but making a significant effort to cut down has been going well. I've picked Wednesday 16, Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 as drinking days. 26th is my Nan's birthday and we are being dragged over to Dorking for a family meal. I feel I will need drink to survive this. Nan is turning 80 and lives in SW London minutes from me, but my cousin has 3 children so dinner (despite the fact that she drives) has been arranged near to where she lives, with no regards to the fact that it means my Nan, her best friend (also in late 70's) myself and Grace have to get the train. Ben runs a bar and we offered to hold it there in a private function area but it was turned down to accomodate my bl**ding cousin! :mad: To make it worse dinner is booked at 6, so on top of travelling I have to get Grace to behave herself when she is most tired. We are having a dinner party on 27, so that needs some drinks. I'm thinking of getting the slimming world enteraining book for this, and not telling anyone!

Families, who would have them!! There always seems to be one ‘difficult’ member in every family, why is that?! I think you are doing great with dry(ish!) January. I hadn’t planned to do it but I’ve just realised that I’ve not had a drink since new year and I’ve no big plans for the next few weekends so maybe I should aim for a dry January.

I also really need to start planning my menus a little bit better. I’m not too busy this week but if I make it a habit then there are no excuses for me when I do have a busy week. It sounds like you have a job on your hands keeping Ben’s eating habits under control too!!

If it helps any, the Sharwoods Jalfrezi sauce is 17 syns per jar so you could probably get away with counting 5½ or 6 syns which would bring you back below the 15 syn mark for Friday. Every little helps! :)

Thanks Bev! I keep wondering if I should sign up to the online to get all syns but I tend to just have a google and take the best guess.

I sort of have a rough meal plan for some days based on Ben's shifts and childcare etc, but it's pretty flexible.

Honestly Ben is a nightmare, his poor body must wonder what's going on. No food for hours and then masses. I just wish he'd read the books and start thinking a bit more for himself. I know full well the first conference I do this year where I have to travel he'll be ordering dominoes but I'm not going to let him drag me down.

I'm not sure my soup and ryvita is going to cut it for lunch :sigh:, gonna eat it and then consider a walk in search of something free and yummy. I completely blame my yucky clementine, it had no juice and was all pithy and white. Such a let down!

Feel like I'm massively re-hydrating myself today, I always find it hard to keep my water levels up on the weekend so need to find a solution to that.

I got back on the bike! Yay! Managed 15k but honestly after a few days without doing any it was hard work. I think I need to vary my exercise so I might have a go on the x box fitness game this evening if I have time. I already have huge calf muscles that don't fit into wellies so don't want to just make them bigger and my bingo wings could do with some shrinking!

I wasted my syns yesterday :cry:I thought I was being so good and picked up some coconut to snack on and forgot (even though the clue is in the name) that it is a nut not a fruit. Bought a 100g pack and ate half so 10 syns. Could literally have kicked myself. I stuck to plan for the rest of the day though. Lunch was actually surprisingly filling. Made a yummy chicken and mushroom risotto for dinner (2 syns) and had it with a pile of sugar snap peas, brocolli and courgettes. As a snack when I got home from work I had some more of the carrot and lentil soup which was a godsend, as somehow it ended up being about 9.30 by the time we sat down to dinner. It did mean I didn't do any late night snacking though, and even when Ben offered fruit at 10.30 I was still full (smug).

Was very surprised this morning when Ben put on a new shirt that 2 weeks ago was a tiny bit tight and it looked fine. Shows that despite my moaning he may be doing ok (or just less bloated).

Today's plan is
Breakfast: Banana and a Muller light
Lunch : Left over risotto with green salad, clemetines and apple.
Dinner: TBC - I didn't get anything out but I've got a craving for some steak and it's payday so I might get some on the way home.
Snack when I get home: Cheese on toast (HexA and B)
Aiming for a low syn day today.

I'm looking for a dress for our anniversary night away at the beginning of March and have seen a lovely midi dress so I've already spent an hour today debating whether to get the 16 or 14. It's about 6 weeks to go, so potentially (ideally) could lose another 10lbs (including what ever I lose this week) so it is really hard to decide. I want to give myself something to aim for but don't want to set the bar too high and end up rushing around for a 'second best' dress. I usually wear size 14 jeans but the dress looks like it would be quite fitted and I've got pretty big boobs. Argh! I just want to look nice but it's ages away so I need to stop stressing about it.

Weigh in in the morning and I'm nervous already! I need to pick up some bathroom scales and stop relying on the wii fit....although this will probably mean that I'll have to change my stats as I'm pretty sure that the wii is wrong : (

Don't beat yourself up too much about the coconut, you still stayed well within your syn allowance even if it is a bit more than you usually have.

If you can afford to wait a couple of weeks then you can maybe buy both dresses and just return the one that's no good. That will depend on the store's returns policy though of course.

Good luck with weigh in!

Back