Fit and Fab for 30

EmmaM

Hi,
Happy New Year Everyone!
Yesterday was the start of a whole new year and (along with millions of other people) I vowed to make a change to my weight once and for all and I mean it. I've yo-yo'd for the past 6 years or so but with the big 3-0 coming up this year I want to be fitter and healthier (and stay that way).

I've chosen slimming world (Extra Easy) as I love my food and this seems to fit with that. OH is joining in along the way so will be nice to be in it together (as long as he doesn't lead me astray!). I tend to eat when bored and/or emotional so I thought this site would probably be very helpful for both.

This weeks food shop arrived on Monday and we had a good sort out of the cupboards (although there are still a few Chrimbo treats lurking around).

Yesterday's menu was
Breakfast: BLT Sandwich (small brown bread, bacon fried in fry-light and a scraping of lighter than light mayo.) Banana, Clementine
Lunch: Potato rosti (fry-light, no flour) mushrooms, tomato and poached eggs. This was delish!
Dinner: Mediterranean traybake from this month's magazine with extra peppers thrown in and green beans and broccoli.
Syns: 20g of sweet microwave popcorn (I think this is around 5)

Exercise - 11k on the exercise bike (20 mins)

I hope keeping this will help me stay on track!

Last edited:
Day 2 was a little more sinful than originally planned but I realised this morning I didn't have my HexB so that probably didn't help.

Yesterday I had:
Breakfast: Apple, orange and a banana
Lunch: Ainsley Morrocan cous cous (1/2 packet so allowed 1 syn) heaps of roasted veg and some chicken left over from Tuesday's dinner.
Dinner: Minced beef stir fry with noodles(adapted from the Jamie Oliver 20 minute meals app). Had 2 teaspoons of honey in 4 servings so maybe 1 syn?
Snacks: The down fall..... I had a packet of snack a jacks sweet chilli (4.5 syns) on the bus home from work. I always get hungry on the way home and had eaten all the fruit I'd bought along for breakfast so must start preparing for this. Also when I got home whilst waiting for dinner to cook Little One was eating some cadbury's heroes and I ate 5! (Another 12.5 syns) Argh!

I tend to put my HexA aside for milk allowance but have discovered I like more herbal teas than I originally thought so I'm thinking of saving it and maybe having cheese and ryvita when I get home to stop the pre-dinner synning.

Today dinner is already in the slow cooker waiting for me to get home.
The plan is
Breakfast: Banana, Apple and Muller Light Greek Style (0.5 syns)
Lunch: Last nights stir fry left overs (allowing 1 syn for the honey again), Clementine and another banana
Dinner: Lamb tagine (got heaps of veg in it) probably with some courgettes on the side and green slaad.
Snacks: Laughing cow light triangles (HexA) and ryvita (HexB)

I did 10k on the exercise bike last night and I've been making it my mission to use the stairs at every opportunity. Woke up with slightly stiff legs this morning so hopefully that means it is working. I looked very much like day 2 on this video this morning though London Grumblr | Day one of my New Year's resolution to take the stairs
OH has a free gym membership so he is off there after work today, I'm hoping for a trip to Ikea (what a thrilling life I lead!) I'm pretty sure chasing a toddler around there for an hour or so counts as body magic! I need a new chest of drawers which I'm also hoping will inspire me a bit more, I need to trawl through my too small/too big/holey clothes in preparation for new smaller clothes later this year!

I've been thinking about my goals and tying them in with key dates so I can reward myself (fingers crossed) along the way.
I've set myself the mini target of losing 1 stone by 27th Feb when I've been with OH 5 years. We're off to a lovely hotel for the weekend so it would be really nice to wear something new and feel happy in it, as opposed to trying to squeeze into something that's too small and wearing the dreaded control pants!

I turned 30 in September and was also at my heaviest. Start a proper SW class today and hoping that I can finally stop yo-yoing. Well done on the diary keeping, stage one complete :)

Thanks! Good luck at the class, I wish I could find one nearby at a suitable time but OH works shifts and little one needs putting to bed. I need to get myself into the mindset that it isn't a diet but a new eating plan that I should follow forever (with the occassional off day no doubt).

I come from a family of big eaters and have kidded myself that it's ok to eat as much as everyone else (including my weight lifting brother) and it really is not.

I've got the big 3-0 as temporary motivation and being fit and healthy to watch Grace grow up as a long term goal.

Is it your first time at SW Debbielerwill?

I would love to say its my first time but I am a serial eater/dieter, never done extra easy though. Need to do something now though as it is depressing me big time. How old is Grace?

Isn't it weird how you'll put up with something that makes you unhappy for such a long time and then suddenly you just think 'I need to do something about this'? I've made every excuse going to not do something in the past, ' I need to do a food shop' 'I've got x, y, z coming up' 'I'm too busy' but something seems to have just clicked. EE looks like a good choice, very flexible and just what I need to keep me topped up because the simple reason I'm overweight is I love food more than I love exercise.

Grace is 2 and I want to give her healthy attitude to food so it has to start with me. I never want to hear the words 'clear your plate' come from my mouth. I've had that ingrained in me so much so that when she doesn't finish it all I've been known to eat the remainder for her.

I've done calorie counting, slim fast and now slimming world. Hopefully this is the last plan I need to try.

Hi EmmaM

Welcome! I joined SW back in November and am loving it so far. I am also turning the big 3-0 this year and so that is definitely motivation for me. If that's not enough, I've also got a big family holiday to Florida to aim for in October. I'd love to be the size I was last time I went (in 2004), which I think was 11 1/2 st (ish!). I've still got some of the clothes I wore (I know I should clear out more often!) so that will be the big test!

Hi VeggieBev,
Your Birthday isn't long before mine either! A holiday is a great aim. My last two holidays abroad I was completely different sizes. Miami in 2008, a happy 10-12 (I still have the bikini from that holiday but it wouldn't even do up now) and in August 2012 Portugal where I was a 14-16 and super self conscious even in front of my lovely family.

I'm complete culprit of the old clothes thing. I have a pair of superdry jeans from 2008 that I have held on to in the hope that one day they fit again) god knows why I don't just ebay them, but also a large size 16 pair of 'skinnies' that are completely unflattering but sometimes get pulled out in emergencies (fat days).

Doyou have a diary on here too? Would be great to follow someone on a similar journey to me. x

No I don't have a diary yet but I'm thinking about starting one soon. I'm not really on the computer enough to update it much but might still be worth it. I'll let you know if/when I start one.

These days I don't think I'd even wear the clothes I've kept from my last holiday. I was only 21 and I've changed a lot since then (not only in size!!) I think I've only kept them so that I can keep trying them on. When I finally get back into them they'll be going and I'll buy a new wardrobe!!

My job is to be at the computer so this is actually keeping me looking busy! I also scribble bits down in my note book when I'm at home.

Imagine being target size and having enough money to throw ALL your clothes away and start again. *Dreams*

I've got a pair of Diesel jeans that I got for my 18th Bday (12 years ago) and am so deluded that I actually think I may fit into them again one day :)

Well, I managed to stick to my plan yesterday with a minor tweak! I'm especially proud as Ben was not home and that is usually my downfall because I just grab something super quick before sorting out Grace's bedtime so the slow cooker was a life saver. I was caught out hungry on the way home (again - but it's ok I'm prepared tonight) and had to stop at a supermarket for some bits and pieces but made a good choice and bought a packet of cooked turkey breast and ate it like a packet of crisps on the walk to pick Grace up from my parents. I also had 3 of the tiny lindt balls as a treat.

Despite doing the whole bedtime routine and usual domestic junk by myself I still managed to complete another 10k on the bike and I'm hoping to increase this slowly over the next few days. I'm actually amazed at the little buzz exercise gives me and have been staying up far later than on nights when I've mooched around on the sofa.

Today has been going well and I'm actually not as hungry as I have been the past few days...probably as I actually have some things to do at work for a change.

Breakfast: Banana, 2 clementines, lots of water, cup of tea with a splash of milk (1 syn). I'd just like to add that there are masses of goodies in the 'usual place' at work and I haven't touched any of them!
Lunch: Ham salad sandwich (HexB), black coffee and 30g of salt/sweet popcorn from pret (Allowing 7 syns for this to be on the safe side) and another banana
Snack - for the way home I've got some pineapple and going to eat my coconut muller light just before I leave
Dinner: Left over tagine and some veg (maybe green beans). Then I think I'll freeze the rest before I get bored of it.

Kinda proud that I resisted all the temptation in pret, I was worried that always having a packed lunch would mean I couldn't be sociable with friends at lunch but just having the coffee (and popcorn) was fine. Meant I got out and stretched my legs (had a gossip) and then I had my sandwich and banana back at my desk. Really breaks the day up.

Also feeling very smug that I *crosses fingers* will beat Ben this week in weight loss (not that it is a competition). He found out yesterday that he will run his own bar by the end of the month so went celebrating/downing wine! Whereas I have not touched a drop of alcohol since NYE....I know it's only a couple of days but I'm very partial to a glass (or bottle) of wine in the evening.

Need to think of a plan for the weekend - Saturday morning I think some sort of fritatta to set Ben up for his long shift and tide me over til later in the afternoon and then I'll make something both me and Grace can eat and I have some soup for later in the evening. Sunday is Ben's day off and also market day. The sunday market near us works out so much cheaper than the supermareket, so I need to start thinking of a few meals for next week and drawing up my shopping list. We used to have an Abel and Cole box delivered each week but actually this worked out pretty expensive, it was always delivered on a Friday and we use less fruit over the weekend so bananas etc would go off quickly and there were some very odd choices in there and we'd end up with an abundance of potatoes. We do however, have a lovely veggie cookbook from them that I must take a gander through soon. The market stuff seems to stay a lot fresher than our supermarket veg too...maybe ut is the brown paper bags.

Need to think of something to do on Sunday, the criteria is cheap and energetic but think I better check the weather first!

Wow I really can waffle! Imagine if you could burn huge numbers of calories talking or typing!

It sounds like the plan is going well for you, well done. Great that you’re making a real effort with the exercise, I really need to a leaf out of your book!

How about a nice, long walk at the weekend?

P.S. I took your advice and started a diary. It's called Not sure how often I’ll be able to update it but all of these little things help to keep us motivated I think.
http://www.minimins.com/slimming-wo...ountdown-big-3-0-starts-here.html#post5918215

I've never been a big exercise fan but the exercise bike fits in well, just did 15.2k (not super fast) so having a chamomile tea to celebrate (hard core I know!). I think I need to do some toning stuff too, get rid of these bingo wings. I have the old wii fit and a flashy kinect job by for the Xbox so might give that a whirl on Sunday.

Gonna take little one for a long walk tomorrow, well hoping to put her in the buggy on the way there as she takes forever to get 2 mins up the road! Already planned to take us a sandwich each for a mini park picnic but will treat myself to a nice cuppa from the cafe in abbey mills too!

Well done on starting your diary Bev! I've found mine helps me to be honest, you know when you have those sneaky nibbles and think no one will know.....on that note I had a choccie digestive earlier! Probably takes me to the highest syn limit though...eek! Twitter is really good for support too, although I haven't posted much about dieting as I think it'll make my colleagues who follow me start watching what I eat. There are a couple of really good Facebook pages for recipes too, worth having a look. I really like slimming eats for lots of new ideas.

Really tempted to have a sneaky weigh in in the morning but fearful that if I haven't lost much I'll give up.
Must NOT give up!

Well it's Monday again! The weekend always seem to fly by. I pretty much stuck to plan this weekend although possibly over sinned on Saturday (hopefully my exercise will counteract it).

Saturday - Walked about 4 miles with Grace in her huge pram (a lot of off roading so that gave me stiff legs and achey arms)
B- Hash browns (homemade), baked beans, fried egg and a couple of slices of ham - Bit low on superfree so I topped up with a clementine and a banana
L- Picnic in the park with Grace- Wholemeal sandwich (hex b) with chicken slices and salad, a banana, handful of grapes and 2 clementines.
D- Homemade slimming world burgers (absolutely delicious I must say) in a wholemeal roll (6 syns as I had already had my HexB) salsa (from SW website it was a definite cook again) slimming world chips and side salad. This has been one of my fave meals but I think I'd aim for a coleslaw next time instead of the salad. It reminds me why I don't use the florette bagged salad, all those spiky leaves make me choke!
Snacks - I had a sushi snack pack from Boots (I'm not sure where to start with the syns but it was 230 calories) and shapers bacon crisps ( maybe 6 syns) I also had a skinny chai latte (a whopping 12 syns) but little one had fallen asleep in the buggy and I just wanted to sit somewhere warm and enjoy the peace (HexA? Does it reduce the syns if you use class the milk as from your allowance?)

Sunday - 15 k on the exercise bike in the evening
B- 2 wholemeal toast (HexB) Poached egg and ham - this was pre market trip so no super free : (
L - Chicken noodle soup - lots of veggies, plus an apple
D - Chinese style pork - (4 syns for the sauce) with egg fried rice and a pile of sauteed veggies
S - Fruit- heaps of it! Hex A - milk allowance in tea etc

Monday - The plan!
B- Frozen mango, coconut mullerlight (0.5 syns) and toasted oats (hexB)
L - Carrot and lentil soup (homemade - free)
D - Pasta in tomato sauce with bacon and lots of veggies
S - Starbucks tall skinny latte (It was on offer!- Not making a habit of it though hoping I can use my HexA for this) and yet more fruit, had a banana already this morning and have an apple and two clementines on my desk.

I'm putting together a SW crib sheet for Ben, as he is too lazy to read the books so will be good to get the basics drummed into him...I heard him snacking on ryvita despite having eaten toast already yesterday...tut tut!

Feeling so much healthier and less sluggish at the moment but was almost scuppered when my little sis bought home fat monitoring scales on Saturday got on them and it said I had put on 4.5lbs in 4 days compared to my wii fit, I shrugged it off as being different scales and because it was 7 o'clock and my usual weigh in is 7am. I think I may need to invest in some proper bathroom scales : /

Told my Mum my target and she looked mortified. I think I may have to keep a track on it as I get closer because I don't want to look like a stick. My little sister had a period where she basically lived off houmous and diet coke, so I think Mum worries about me ending up going down that road but I love my food too much!

Right, off to start my crib sheet!

I'm sure all that exercise will offset the little treats over the weekend! Oh, and if it's the Boots Shapers Crispy Bacon Bites you had on Sat, they're only 5 syns if that makes you feel any better! :)

My mum has been a yo-yo dieter for years and always worries when she hears my sister and I talking about diets/food etc that we'll go the same way. I think it's just a mum thing - it's their job to worry and they do it so well.

Great you're getting your OH involved, it will be nice for you to support each other along the way.

Well it's Monday again! The weekend always seem to fly by. I pretty much stuck to plan this weekend although possibly over sinned on Saturday (hopefully my exercise will counteract it).

Saturday - Walked about 4 miles with Grace in her huge pram (a lot of off roading so that gave me stiff legs and achey arms)
B- Hash browns (homemade), baked beans, fried egg and a couple of slices of ham - Bit low on superfree so I topped up with a clementine and a banana
L- Picnic in the park with Grace- Wholemeal sandwich (hex b) with chicken slices and salad, a banana, handful of grapes and 2 clementines.
D- Homemade slimming world burgers (absolutely delicious I must say) in a wholemeal roll (6 syns as I had already had my HexB) salsa (from SW website it was a definite cook again) slimming world chips and side salad. This has been one of my fave meals but I think I'd aim for a coleslaw next time instead of the salad. It reminds me why I don't use the florette bagged salad, all those spiky leaves make me choke!
Snacks - I had a sushi snack pack from Boots (I'm not sure where to start with the syns but it was 230 calories) and shapers bacon crisps ( maybe 6 syns) I also had a skinny chai latte (a whopping 12 syns) but little one had fallen asleep in the buggy and I just wanted to sit somewhere warm and enjoy the peace (HexA? Does it reduce the syns if you use class the milk as from your allowance?)

Sunday - 15 k on the exercise bike in the evening
B- 2 wholemeal toast (HexB) Poached egg and ham - this was pre market trip so no super free : (
L - Chicken noodle soup - lots of veggies, plus an apple
D - Chinese style pork - (4 syns for the sauce) with egg fried rice and a pile of sauteed veggies
S - Fruit- heaps of it! Hex A - milk allowance in tea etc

Monday - The plan!
B- Frozen mango, coconut mullerlight (0.5 syns) and toasted oats (hexB)
L - Carrot and lentil soup (homemade - free)
D - Pasta in tomato sauce with bacon and lots of veggies
S - Starbucks tall skinny latte (It was on offer!- Not making a habit of it though hoping I can use my HexA for this) and yet more fruit, had a banana already this morning and have an apple and two clementines on my desk.

I'm putting together a SW crib sheet for Ben, as he is too lazy to read the books so will be good to get the basics drummed into him...I heard him snacking on ryvita despite having eaten toast already yesterday...tut tut!

Feeling so much healthier and less sluggish at the moment but was almost scuppered when my little sis bought home fat monitoring scales on Saturday got on them and it said I had put on 4.5lbs in 4 days compared to my wii fit, I shrugged it off as being different scales and because it was 7 o'clock and my usual weigh in is 7am. I think I may need to invest in some proper bathroom scales : /

Told my Mum my target and she looked mortified. I think I may have to keep a track on it as I get closer because I don't want to look like a stick. My little sister had a period where she basically lived off houmous and diet coke, so I think Mum worries about me ending up going down that road but I love my food too much!

Right, off to start my crib sheet!

Hmmm. your diet sounds lovely, not like your dieting, how do you make your homemade hashbrowns?
thanks
x

Yay! Bev that 1 syn saving has cheered me up!
EmmaB For 2 people I grate 2 potatoes and 1 onion (beware grating the onion must have done something to it cos I cried my eyes out!) mix it in a bowl and then squeeze it in a tea towel to get all the water out. Then just fry in fry light. Not your typical hash browns but yummy all the same. Also saves you using up HexB on toast or bread.

It is so nice on SW to not feel restricted by the usual 'diet' rules, I just feel like I'm making conscious changes.

:D
Yay! Bev that 1 syn saving has cheered me up!
EmmaB For 2 people I grate 2 potatoes and 1 onion (beware grating the onion must have done something to it cos I cried my eyes out!) mix it in a bowl and then squeeze it in a tea towel to get all the water out. Then just fry in fry light. Not your typical hash browns but yummy all the same. Also saves you using up HexB on toast or bread.

It is so nice on SW to not feel restricted by the usual 'diet' rules, I just feel like I'm making conscious changes.
Thanks for that, ill definitely try that one, they do sound nice! I'm finding it doesn't really feel like a diet at all so far! Crazy, but great! X

Ok... so I added a couple of yummies to yesterday's plan. 1 Ginger nut - I finally gave into the office treats temptation but just the one mind (2.5 syns) and a packet of quavers (5 syns). I did complete 12.5k on the bike though

I've been having lots of random thoughts and panics - eek
I think I've used about 3 BULBS of garlic in a week - I wonder if everyone else can smell it? I love it and it's the easiest way to add flavour but I may need to invest in one of those steel hand soaps to stop me getting pongy fingers!
The sheer amount of fruit and veg we are getting through is costing me a fortune - can we keep this up? We went to the market on sunday and spent £22 quid and it is nearly all gone! I know my health is worth it in the long run but woweee my purse hurts. I have got some frozen stuff in to so will start making more use of that. Any suggestions for budget meals are greatly appreciated. This leads neatly on to my next worry
Am I eating too much? I feel like I'm only eating til I'm full but I'm snacking more (on fruit and yoghurt etc). I know this is partly to do with boredom at work and the fact that I bring healthy stuff with me I can eat and so am I eating it sometimes just because it is there. I keep reminding myself that I am eating the 'right' stuff now and exercising where I wasn't before but only the scales will tell!
Maybe the exercising is increasing my appetite? It is certainly making me more awake at night and my sleep is uninterrupted. It can only be doing good?? Right??
I need to buy a 'cool' lunchbox. Every day I'm shoving bits either in my handbag (and risking soup spillage) or a giant canvas bag. I think this will be my payday treat.

So today before my 7am weigh in tomorrow
Breakfast - Grapes and Mango with ff yoghurt
Morning Snack - banana and coffee with a splash of milk (1/2 syn)
Lunch - Chicken noodle soup, ryvita (HexB) and ham and chopped veggies, also fitted in a 1.6mile walk at lunch which gave me a boost.
Dinner - Chicken in a thai marinade with slimming world chips and I planned a wholemeal pitta but just realised the tesco one I've defrosted is 8 syns so will see how hungry I am. Gonna have this with some roasted mediterranean veggies and a homemade mint and cucumber dip.
Other potential snacks: Muller strawberry, clementines, apple.

Trying to have a lower number of syns today in preparation for weigh in tomorrow so might have half the pitta just so I have had some. Also need to use my HexA....hmnn swap chips for jacket potato and add cheese perhaps. So much choice!

I thought I'd show the amount of veg in my pasta last night as it was scrummy and didn't need a side salad for the 1/3 superfree. Keen to start adding pics to keep me motivated (and to drool over when I'm hungry!), especially once I get my new phone (at the moment if I take a pic with the flash on it drains my battery so much that my phone shuts down).
View attachment 73740

Fingers crossed I stick to plan today and see at least a little loss in the morning!

Back