Katie Cupcake's attempt at slimming down!

Saturday

Breakfast: WW yogurt and a banana.

Lunch: Salad with my HEXA cheese and balsamic vinegar.

Tea: 3 course Christmas meal my friend cooked for us - home made tomato soup with 1/2 a crusty (white) roll; nut roast with parsnips, potatoes, carrots and a bit of stuffing and gravy, and then a small portion each of chocolate cake and homemade cheesecake. I also had about 4 glasses of Prosecco and a vodka and diet coke... I don't even dare estimate the syns but for the purpose of this let's say maybe 50.

We got home at around 2am and of course the post-drinking munchies hit (damn them!) I had 2 slices of wm toast with marmite and a small piece of Galaxy. Bit of a fail!

Sunday

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs with 2 slices of (HEXB) wm toast and marmite.

Lunch: A "naked burrito" from Tortilla, which was a salad bowl including lettuce, onions, peppers, tomato salsa, pinto beans and guacamole. I'd estimate around 3 syns for the guac (from what the app tells me).

Tea: Another 3 course xmas meal, this time at Frankie & Benny's - booked, ordered and paid for before I even started SW. I had garlic mushroom bruschetta, vegetarian risotto (actually much tastier than I expected - I wouldn't usually order this out but it was the only veggie option); and...... drumroll please.... a salted toffee popcorn sundae. Around 1,000 syns no doubt, but worth it as it was beautiful. Just drank diet coke as I was driving.

Syns: Maybe another 40 or 50 for the meal :(

Weigh in in around 1 hour - I'm sure we can all imagine how that's going to go! :break_diet:

Ok I've come back from WI in a terrible mood - this is for 3 reasons: the weather is bloody ridiculous, raining but blowing a gale so any attempts at putting up my umbrella ended badly!; secondly SLOW MOVING PEOPLE galore in town - it was packed and everyone was just dawdling and getting in the way, whereas I had to fit a weigh in and all my 'errands' in and be back to work within the hour!; lastly.... I put on 0.5lb. So that means that in 3 weeks of doing Slimming World I've only lost 0.5lb. Hardly seems worth all the time and attention that goes into it, not to mention the fiver a week lol!

I'm a bit gutted to be honest, as I know it's Christmas but two 3-course meals over a fortnight shouldn't equate to a 1.5lb gain, surely!! But anyway, onwards and upwards. I'm not giving up. Here's today's food:

Breakfast: 35g blueberry wheats (HEXB) with HEXA skimmed milk and a banana.

Lunch: Homemade beetroot soup, nectarine, plum, Alpen light and probably some crudite later in the afternoon.

Tea: We're going to see Hunger Games with a friend tonight who wants to go out for tea. We're going to Trinity Kitchen (like a posh version of a food court) so my only choice is the Mexican salad "naked burrito" I had yesterday lunchtime. It's lovely but I wouldn't have planned to have it again so soon!

A lovely colleague has just brought me back a chocolate hedgehog - very cute but pretty hefty - I think I may be taking him home for my hubby :p

Morning all! It's Christmas Eve and I'm still at work... there are about 4 of us in on my floor so it's eerily quiet; I'm hoping they'll let us go early. Went to see Hunger Games 2 last night and it was really good (although quite long!) I read all three books before the films were made and I have to say that the second film definitely represents the book well and keeps in all the detail. So! Food for today:

Breakfast: Fat-free greek yogurt with blueberries and raspberries

Lunch: I'm "treating" myself to a baked potato and beans (no butter) with a bit of cheese (HEXA) from the shop over the road. I've also brought in some fruit and veg to snack on, and an Alpen light.

Tea: Well, I have no idea...! We're going to the in-laws after work tonight so I don't know what we'll be having. That's why I'm trying to eat fairly lightly and save all my syns for tonight as they will no doubt be needed (if not for food then for a few xmas drinks!)

Have a great Christmas everyone!

Morning Katie

I'm going to start a diary after weigh in next week so keep your eyes open.

Hope you've enjoyed the festivities and are looking forward to the new year :)

Hi Katie

Hope you aren't being too hard on yourself. Christmas is a difficult time and it is so easy to gain weight, way easier than it is to lose it. All the meals out and treats add up!! I only had 1 full day off plan but managed to gain 2lb which actually I feel is fair.

SW definitely works and us definitely worth the effort but you do have to be realistic about what you are eating. I'm struggling to get back on it 100% and know that NYE will probably hold me back too but I also know when I get back on plan, the weight will come off.

Hope you have your mojo back xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi bev, I'll definitely keep an eye out when you start your diary :)

Laura, I'm trying not to be hard on myself but I plan really well, buy all the right stuff and then still struggle to shift anything so it's frustrating! I won't give up though, as I'm seeing it as a long term lifestyle change - even if it takes me months to lose anything lol! I think my lack of exercise (due to ME) is adding to it all.

I actually felt quite sick and ill yesterday after 5 days off plan, so I'm relieved to be back :p Feeling less bloated today. I'm going to try and keep this week on plan apart from NYE. What are you all doing for new years? X

So today's food:

Breakfast: 35g blueberry wheats (HEXB), skimmed milk, plum and nectarine.

Snack: WW yogurt.

Lunch: we were out and about and I've discovered it's kinda difficult being a veggie sw follower and eating out (with a hubby who always wants to try new places, not wetherspoons etc!). We went to giraffe and I had edamame to start, then tomato pasta with a side salad (no dressing). I'm synning 4 for oil, 1 for a few seeds in the salad and 6.5 for a 330ml lager. Total - 11.5.

We had "lunch" about 3.30pm so not sure if I'll want a proper tea but if so I'll make some free pasta, salad or use my second HEXB on a wm sandwich.

UPDATE: I ended up being hungry by about 8pm so I made a wm sandwich with xlight Philly and salad, and had it with some cherry tomatoes. After that I had a fat free yogurt.

Last edited:
Morning all! I'm back at work and it feels all wrong lol. It was sooo dark when I got up, and still pretty bad when I was walking to work (probably one of those days that is never going to get bright). There are a few more people in than Xmas Eve but it's still pretty quiet. I hope someone can find some work to keep me out of mischief! :)

So my food for today looks like this:

Breakfast: 2 slices wm toast (HEXB) with extra light Philly (about 1/3 of HEXA) and Marmite - sounds strange I know, but if you like Marmite like I do, it works! Also had a nectarine and some raspberries.

Lunch: Baked sweet potato with small tin of WW beans, and 2 wedges of Laughing Cow X Light melted on top (another 1/3 of HEXA).

Tea: Slimming World mushroom stroganoff with rice - never made this recipe before so I'll let you know how it goes! Per portion - 1 syn.

Snacks: Tea, apple, plum, 1 Alpen light and 1 Hi-Fi light (don't get me started on the Hi Fi bars - bought them for the first time and got the light caramel choc ones. They are rubbish! They are absolutely tiny and taste nowhere near as nice as the Alpen lights, so I won't be buying them again!)

No other planned syns apart from the 1 from tea, but I'll update you if that changes.

UPDATE: Had a 150ml dry white wine with tea - 5 syns. That puts today's total at 6 syns.

Last edited:
It's rubbish being back at work isn't it... Was so dark and pouring rain on my journey in... There are only 3 of us who work in my office so I'm used to not having many people around, altho today there is just me and the boss. She has already said we may close the office early, I don't think she wants to be here either!!

Your food for today looks good, apart from the stroganoff. I am one of these people who cannot bear the thought of mushrooms...!!

I am struggling to get back on it properly, altho the bad food makes me feel rubbish, I just can't resist...

Good luck for today!!

Yep it sucks - I wouldn't mind if I was busy and time went quickly but I've got hardly any work to do and the clock seems to be going backwards! I've just spent some time researching gyms near me. I used to be really into the gym and playing roller derby until M.E. hit and I've missed the endorphins and exercise so much. I've come to terms with the fact that I'll probably never be fit and well enough to play roller derby properly again, but I'd love to get back to exercise, even if it's just some yoga classes and gentle swimming. I've booked an appointment to look round one near where I live at 5.20pm tonight (I have no patience once I get an idea in my head lol) so I'll let you know how it goes!

I know exactly how you feel with mushrooms as I used to hate them too. I became veggie about 6.5 years ago and was forced to eat them quite a bit, as they're always in veggie food, and ended up loving them after a while! Same with olives, I used to hate them but now I crave them :confused: Hope your boss decides to close early so you can get home - any plans for tonight? x

Morning everyone - happy new years eve! I liked the gym I went to see yesterday and the price was fairly reasonable (ish) so I went ahead and joined. The actual cardio gym area itself is quite small but they have classes and a pool. With my ME I would mainly be doing yoga/stretch classes and gentle swimming anyway. Hoping to go for a swim tomorrow afternoon as long as I'm not hungover lol. This feels like a positive step :D

Today's food looks like this:

Breakfast: 35g bran flakes (HEXB1) with skimmed milk (HEXA1 - used for this and tea over the day), and a banana.

Lunch: A wholemeal sandwich (HEXB2) with xlight Philly (half HEXA2) and salad.

Snacks at work: An apple, a nectarine, a WW yogurt and some crudite (cherry tomatoes, cucumber sticks and sugarsnap peas).

Tea: Leftover SW mushroom stroganoff with rice.

Syns: Well.... since it's NYE and I'm going to a party, I'll definitely be going over my syns as I'll be drinking. We always have some champagne but then I'll try to stick to vodka and diet coke. I'm eating before I go but I know there'll be loads of food there and I don't know about anyone else, but alcohol always makes me so hungry! I'll let you know how I get on.

The SW mushroom stroganoff was ok, but I wouldn't be in a massive rush to make it again. The main issue I find with SW recipes is they always tell you to put too much liquid in - I've had the same with both this and the sweet & sour now, and it just makes it watery and runny. It's all trial and error though, I'd just halve the veg stock next time.

Hi Katie,

As I'm a fellow team member I thought I'd pop by your diary. Your food is looking good and I'm with you on the 'wateryness' - I find this with some of the tomato-based ones too. I do sometimes add a little Synned cornflour or Smash to thicken it up a bit.

I thing I've spotted is that you are using EL Philly as an HExA - I don't think it is on the list (not enough calcium perhaps?) so stick with Philly Light.

Enjoy NYE and good luck for 2014!

Hi Patty

Yeah I found myself wondering if they actually make the recipes before they publish them or whether they just guess lol. I've made the SW sweet & sour a few times now and it doesn't seem to need the veg stock at all, I just add a bit of extra tinned tomato and it's perfect.

Ah, didn't realise that about the Philly - thanks for telling me. I think I just defaulted to the least calorific one out of habit - only been on SW about a month and in my head I still have to remind myself not to count calories etc. I have some to use up and then I'll switch over.

You enjoy NYE too! Do you have any plans?

Well done on joining the gym, great start for the new year! I've got so far as to buy a new fitness DVD... haven't taken it out the cellophane yet tho!! Hopefully tomorrow I won't be hungover and can do that...

Finished work at 4 yesterday, hoping to finish early today too, the phone keeps ringing but it's always a family member of the boss's announcing they are coming over tonight so I'm hoping she will start to panic and close the office early!!

I know what you mean about NYE, alcohol and food... I've bought a lot of nibbles for my friends, who am I kidding that I will be able to resist??!! Just need to promise myself I'll get back on it tomorrow, top up the fruit and veg and crack on!!

Hope you have a great night, see you for the aftermath tomorrow!! xx

Ha let's hope she panics soon and realises she needs to go home and clean/get ready! We've been told we're finishing at 2.30pm today :D:D Need to pop to Argos and replace my kitchen scales which have decided to stop working. SW doesn't really work without scales for your cereal/cheese etc!

I know I'll have the best intentions but once I've had a few drinks, I'll be really hungry and then the savoury buffet stuff will be calling to me.... I just love crisps too much!

Good luck with the DVD, which one did you buy? x

UPDATE: Starbucks revalation!

So I'm not a big coffee drinker but I like going to Starbucks every so often to meet a friend at lunch or something. Since starting SW I wasn't really sure what I could have, as I don't like plain coffee and would have usually got a skinny flavoured latte or mocha in the past. Despite being "skinny" most of them would be over a days worth of syns which seems a huge waste just for a drink!

My hubby is off work today so we met at lunchtime at the Starbucks just across from my work. I was going to have a tea, but it just seems "wrong" somehow in a coffee shop lol, and less of a treat. Then I realised I could actually just have a flat white coffee (with skimmed milk from my HEXA allowance) and stick a couple of sweeteners in for the sweetness I like without the calories. Very nice it was too! Good to know I still have syn free options in there :)

Back