Katie Cupcake's attempt at slimming down!

Thanks Bev - happy new year to you as well! I had my post-xmas WI this morning and have put on 2lbs. So I'm now heavier than when I actually started SW!! But I can't really judge on that as it's been over the festive period. I'm going to see how it goes for the next month before deciding whether it suits me or not.

How were everyone else's post-xmas weigh ins?

Here is today's food diary. Fresh start, new year, bring it on!

Breakfast: Porridge (35g oats - HEXB) with skimmed (HEXA) milk, and bluberries

Lunch: Baked potato with WW beans and a Laughing Cow Light (part HEXA2)

Snacks at work: 2 Alpen light, nectarine, hard boiled egg.

Tea: SW sweet and sour with rice and soy sauce. Then I'd better have some fruit for dessert to up today's superfree!

No planned syns but I'll keep you updated.

HELP/ADVICE WANTED!

I have automatically done the Green plan on SW since the start. This is just what my consultant said I'd be doing (as I'm veggie). Someone at work has just said to me you can actually do Extra Easy as a veggie too, and use quorn etc. I googled it but it's not very clear. Does anyone know if this is the case, and whether EE would be suitable for me to try?

Hi Katie,

I'm doing EE and really don't eat a lot of meat, we use Quorn in probably 90% of our meals instead of meat and it works fine for me! As long as you're doing the Superfree with it, it should be fine. You can still alternate days too (EE and Green) if it confuses you and go back to Green if you find your weight loss slows!

Hi Katie and hope you enjoyed NY. Don't worry about being heavier than when you started - you chose a very challenging time to start and you've probably put on less than you would have done if you han't started.

You can do EE as a vegetarian if you eat meat substitutes such as Quorn, but you would get only one set of HExs which may deter you if you like to have eg milk and cheese on the same day. Have a look at the 7 day menu on the SW website - you can have a look at the vegetarian option for some ideas.

I'm surprised your consultant didn't give you the book for EE - the usual complaint is that veggies aren't told about green! - so I would ask her for one but you really don't need to change plan unless you do occasionally like to have fish. I know fish isn't normally eaten by veggies, but some do include it in their diet.

I assume you know that Muller Lights are not suitable for vegetarians? Activia 0% yogurts are OK though.

TGI Friday! Today's food looks like this:

Breakfast: 35g bran flakes (HEXB1) with skimmed milk (HEXA1), banana and raspberries.

Lunch: Roasted parsnips, tomatoes and red onion with 45g melted mozarella on top (HEXA2).

Snacks at work: Crudite, clementine, nectarine and 12 cashew nuts (HEXB2) - I'm giving the Alpen lights a rest for a couple of days as they seem to be triggering my IBS!

Tea: Pasta with Lloyd Grossman tomato sauce (5 syns but I already had it and it needs using), with asparagus and sweetcorn. EDIT - I ENDED UP HAVING LEFTOVER SW SWEET & SOUR WITH NOODLES INSTEAD OF THIS. SPENT 4.5 SYNS ON A SMALL GLASS OF RED WINE INSTEAD :)

Last edited:
I just had to let you all know, my lunch today was gorgeous! I just sprayed some parnsips, tomatoes and red onion chunks with frylight, sprinkled with mixed herbs and salt/pepper and roasted for about 45 mins on 180c. I brought it in a lunchbox to work, with 45g light mozarella sprinkled on top and then microwaved it until the cheese melted. So tasty!

HANDY TIP ALERT!

Just in case anyone doesn't know, I found something really useful today. There is a drink awareness website (just google drink aware) who stock a sort of plastic beaker which has all different alcohol quantities marked on the side (for example 1 shot, 125ml wine etc etc). I had been finding it hard to estimate my drinks at home and ensure I was allocating the correct syns. I do have a pyrex jug but the thought of pouring my wine into there first didn't really appeal lol.

Anyway, the site says it costs 90p but when you actually go to buy it, you have £85 "store credit" as it's government run, so you can actually get it totally free, no postage to pay etc. :)

Afternoon everyone - yay, it's the weekend! Ended up popping into town this morning with the hubby so there was a slight change of plan to what I would have had for lunch:

Breakfast: WW yogurt and clementine eaten in a bit of a rush before going out.

Lunch: Hubby wanted to go out for lunch and we were right next to Primo's (hot dog place). If I wasn't eating out tonight I would have treated myself to a tofu dog with onions which you can get within your day's syns, but decided not to as going out for tea. So I had a greek salad with feta (HEXA) and olives (1 syn). Asked for it without dressing and added a tiny amount of French's mustard (1 syn). Also had a flat white coffee with sweeteners using my milk HEXA allowance.

Tea: I'm going to a veggie cafe before seeing Cinderella at the ballet, so going to have a 3 egg omelette with tomato and onion, and ask for the side salad without dressing. I'll either hold the coleslaw or give it away. Probably best hold it, as I'll be tempted otherwise! If people are going for starters, I'll either see what soup of the day is (without the bread) or have the half pepper stuffed with veggie chilli (without sour cream). I'll add a few syns for any oil used in cooking.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Hi everyone! Although it's Monday, I'm off work today as I had two hospital appointments. So yesterday wasn't a great day food wise - I have an insane chocolate craving, and given that I can usually leave chocolate and it doesn't bother me too much not having it, I can only assume it's because time of the month is coming up. Bloody hormones! Yesterday went like this:

Pre-breakfast: When I was too tired to get up and good but was hungry - 1 Alpen light (half HEXB1).

Breakfast: 2 slices wm bread (HEXB1) with 2 scrambled eggs (buttery frylight), tiny bit of marg (1 syn), tomatoes and mushrooms with a cuppa (I pretty much always use milk as my HEXA1 but hardly had any left today so synned this cuppa instead - 1 syn).

Lunch: Baked potato with 75g light Philly with chives (love that stuff!) (HEXA2) with tomatoes, cucumber and SW coleslaw. First time I've made the coleslaw and it wasn't as good as the normal (mayo) version but pretty nice.

Tea: Pasta with a Loyd Grossman tomato and garlic sauce (already bought pre-SW) (5.5 syns), mushrooms and asparagus. Topped with 40g light cheddar (HEXA2).

And THEN. The chocolate craving hit! I managed to inore it until about 10pm when I finally gave in and raided the xmas chocolate. I had 6 Guylian seashells at 3 syns each, totalling 18 syns... :(

Total syns for the day: 24.5 - boooooo :cry:

Onwards and upwards, here is today's food diary!

Breakfast: Porridge (HEXB1) with skimmed milk from HEXA1, with bluberries and raspberries.

Lunch: Homemade leek and potato soup with a dash of FF yogurt, 3 sweet onion ryvitas (HEXB2) with 45g Philly light chives (all I had left! So part HEXA2). Coffee made with my HEXA1 milk. A bit later I had a bowl of WW yogurt with blueberries, raspberries and chopped banana.

Tea: Tonight I'm making the SW lentil dahl recipe - a friend has tried it and said it's lovely. Will probably do boiled rice to go with it, and maybe some banana raita (a recipe I stole from my brother; it's amazing!)

This means no planned syns yet, so I may have a small glass of the red wine we've got open later, and maybe some quavers or some more chocolate. Although after yesterday's total willpower fail, maybe I'd better steer clear of the chocolate!!

UPDATE: I had a 150ml glass of red wine (5.5 syns) and a piece of my husband's peanut butter fudge, which was disappointing as it wasn't as amazing as it sounds! (2.5 syns). TOTAL - 8 SYNS.

Last edited:
Hiya :)
Here to subscribe...I follow mostly green/EE days with the odd red one too. Reading through quickly up to this bit in your diary, i saw you'd questioned whether to do ee...and I agree with what the other minimin said...you'd be better sticking with green to keep the extra HE's-I love green/red days for that! And you must get plenty super free in your meals but could always just try for a wee bit more?

I've been doing sw for a year but as from last week, I'm giving it a bash from home. Haven't been to class since beg dec mainly due to over indulging at Xmas doo's or birthdays lol, but couldn't ever stay at class so seemed a waste really :(
Gonna see how I go and re-join if I'm really struggling

Hope you're doing really good :) x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi and thanks for subscribing! Yeah I agree about sticking to green, it means I don't have to choose between milk and cheese every day. It'd annoy me having to syn milk as I don't even like the stuff, I just have a tiny bit in tea or on cereal.

I only ever get to stay to about 10 mins of class and then have to set off for work, so I don't get much out of the actual group but since I'm quite new, I think I need the structure of going to WI every week and be held accountable lol!

Good luck doing it from home. Keeping a diary on here will probably help, as you're still accountable for what you're eating, and people can give you hints and tips :)

This place is fab! I'd actually been trawling for a while before I joined...just to work out if it was do-able and to get an idea (I went from ww to sw)

It's actually a year tomorrow since my very first sw day :D

Can't ever get too many ideas and it's fab for support too

I have a diary on here but write everything down too...it's good to let other people see in case we're missing stuff and lets new eyes read over for suggestions etc x

My first year on ww was great, I lost 2.5 stone but the less I weighed, the less points I had to eat and I found for the 2nd year, I was starving all the time and getting no where!

I liked how I could eat conveniently but I find with ww, they're saying yeah, you can still eat cakes or biscuits all day if you want, just eat these ones and stop once you've used your points rather than encouraging healthier foods the way sw does...do you get what I mean?

It was a huge difference to eat big proper meals which looked the part but, thanks to food optimising, when you break it down, it's maybe only a wee drop e/l mince and potatoes (if day you had burger and chips)
I tried to eat nothing til afternoons, have a sh1tty wee micro meal for dinner just so I had enough points to have some crisps on the evening!

It's different for everyone though but I wasted my money for the second year that's for sure lol x

Today's food diary:

Breakfast: 35g bran flakes (HEXB1) with skimmed milk (from HEXA1), banana, apricot.

Lunch: Homemade leek & potato soup with 1 Ryvita, 1 tub of Philly xlight and snacks of 1 babybel light, 1 Alpen light and some crudite, a clementine and an apricot. (the Ryvita and Alpen light = my HEXB2 and the cheeses my HEXA2).

Also meeting my friend at lunch for a drink so I'll have a flat white coffee with sweeteners.

Tea: Leftover SW lentil dahl with banana raita and a tomato & onion salad.

No planned syns but sure I will have some so will keep you updated.

UPDATE: I was dying for some crisps so I made some SW crisps in the microwave - syn free depending which school of thought you're from about tweaks! I also had a handful of crisps from my husband's bag as it was a new flavour I wanted to try. Had a 150ml glass of dry white wine. Total syns = 8 syns.

Last edited:
Back