1 Atkins bar a day??

littlemissthin

Hey :)
I'm beginning week 3, and I've lost 11 1/2 pound so far, just wondering if I could have one atkins bar a day? Has anyone done this and still had good weightloss, as they taste so nice xx

Lots of people have mentioned they stall them - due to the sweeteners. I restrict myself to one a week .. just one daybreak bar on the day after I weight in ... that's the only sweet thing I have all week and I really enjoy it :)

Based on watching people over the last year - one a day very likely to stall. But you may be lucky.....

I love the chocolate crisp bar, they taste just like Nestlé crunch! Thank god they are £1.50 though as I'd be on em all the time......! I have one a month maybe.....then again 10 days ago I ate 2 in one sitting!! TOTM and all that :(

I do find I STS the next few days though or even gain half a pound!

J x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I find they trigger cravings for more, or just for sweet stuff in general. :( I've got several in the kitchen right now, waiting to go with me on my holiday. It's torture. Thus far I've had 3 in the past week, and had to replace them, which is flippin' expensive. It's just like going back to real sweets- once the idea to eat one gets in my head I have no control. I could easily end up on 1 a day, and more and more.

Once I'm back from my holiday there will be NONE in the house again; they will go back to being a TOTM treat only.

They have never stalled me...but definately slow my loss down...that's why I'm trying to keep away for a while...the chocolate ones are yum though!

Boots usually have them...but beware...they can become a costly habit!!!

Mosts Boots carry a decent range (but they are very expensive) or you can buy them online at the Atkins Store (they let you buy in bulk so it works out cheaper) or places like Low Carb Mega Store (google it my link wont work) you can get them - but they take a bit of hunting down xx

Have to admit..if I need a chocolate treat I tend to get the Thorntons fudgy bars for diabetics...can't remember proper name...as they are truly gorgeous...but watch the polyols...can't manage more than one...even though they are only diddy lol

You can get 'em in Tesco Extra too, along with Atkins shakes and the breakfast bars. Marginally cheaper than Boots.

Going to check out closest boots and tesco extra tomorrow!! Can't get them
In bulks cuz I'd probably eat them all at once..! Thanks guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I bought a box of the coconut chocolate bars (the "Bounty" one) from Amazon way back in November and ate them at the rate of about 2 or 3 per week. They never stalled me but I couldn't help feeling I was playing with fire: sweet-tasting rubbish has been my achilles heel my whole life, so why keep the taste for it going when I'm on a diet that can take sweet cravings away?

So I haven't bought any more. When I *need* chocolate now (once a month), I have a bar of Green & Black's 85% dark chocolate on standby. A couple of squares of that sees me right, and it's not nearly as sweet as those Atkins bars so I find I can easily avoid stuffing my face with a whole bar. (not that I'm recommending doing this, by the way - it works for me, but we're all different!)

Fair play to you if you like them, but a few things you should know...

Ingredients in choc chip daybreak:

Soy Protein,Bulking Agent (Polydextrose) ,Soy Granules ,Cocoa Mass ,Sweeteners (Maltitol, Sucralose) ,Glycerol ,Hydrolysed Collagen ,Coconut ,Palm Fat ,Tapioca Starch ,Cocoa Butter ,Sunflower Oil ,Milk Protein ,Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin) ,Milk Fat ,Vegetable Oil ,Flavourings ,Salt ,Low Fat Cocoa ,Colour (Beta Carotene)

Soy - cheap inferior protein
Polydextrose - Cheap filler and makes up part of the fibre content

Maltitol - One of the worst sugar alcohols. Causes many people discomfort and has a GI of 36 (source: Mark Sisson - Marks Daily Apple)

Hydrolysed Collagen - Another awful protein source. I won't post what it actually is here in case people don't want to know. If you do, click this link: Hydrolyzed collagen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and look at the production paragraph

Veg and Sunflower Oil - High in omega 6, one essential fat that virtually no one in the western world is deficient in. Having lots of omega 6 and not much omega 3 can cause problems. It seems to be a theme with Atkins Nutritionals* to just dump vegetable or sunflower (read: cheap) oils into their products.

For the amount they charge you'd expect a far healthier bar.

*I don't believe most of their products would have ever hit the market had Atkins not have died.

James - good post about those horrible bars:eek: well except for the brownie ones in an emergency:D

Great to have you back on board as our resident research scientist;)
X

Fair play to you if you like them, but a few things you should know...

Ingredients in choc chip daybreak:

Soy Protein,Bulking Agent (Polydextrose) ,Soy Granules ,Cocoa Mass ,Sweeteners (Maltitol, Sucralose) ,Glycerol ,Hydrolysed Collagen ,Coconut ,Palm Fat ,Tapioca Starch ,Cocoa Butter ,Sunflower Oil ,Milk Protein ,Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin) ,Milk Fat ,Vegetable Oil ,Flavourings ,Salt ,Low Fat Cocoa ,Colour (Beta Carotene)

Soy - cheap inferior protein
Polydextrose - Cheap filler and makes up part of the fibre content

Maltitol - One of the worst sugar alcohols. Causes many people discomfort and has a GI of 36 (source: Mark Sisson - Marks Daily Apple)

Hydrolysed Collagen - Another awful protein source. I won't post what it actually is here in case people don't want to know. If you do, click this link: Hydrolyzed collagen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and look at the production paragraph

Veg and Sunflower Oil - High in omega 6, one essential fat that virtually no one in the western world is deficient in. Having lots of omega 6 and not much omega 3 can cause problems. It seems to be a theme with Atkins Nutritionals* to just dump vegetable or sunflower (read: cheap) oils into their products.

For the amount they charge you'd expect a far healthier bar.

*I don't believe most of their products would have ever hit the market had Atkins not have died.

Thanks for the lowdown on those bars, James. I wasn't aware of the specifics, but it just didn't feel "right" eating them. Not to me.

Atkins should be all about real food as far as I'm concerned - as little processed stuff as possible. Obviously there are times when that goes out the window, but I try to keep those times to a minimum. Eating those bars just replaces one lousy junk food with something very little better IMO.

Best avoided.

(and I agree with your last comment too :()

Back