10,000 Steps?

Pearlie

I recently watched the Katie Hopkins documentary 'My Fat Story' and although I don't like her at all, I think the 10,000 steps a day concept is a pretty good one if it does help you lose weight.

So with a cheap pedometer I've decided to try and take up this challenge to see if it does actually help my weight loss while sticking to SW plan 100% (I need to lose all the weight I put on at Christmas!)

Just wondered if anyone else out there is adding walking/execise to their plan? 10,000 steps is quite a lot to be honest once you get going! Today was my Day 1 of the step challenge, I'm determined to try and keep it up for all of January each day if I can :)

Good luck on the plan this week everyone! :)
xxx

There used to be a thread on the exercise section where participants would log how many steps they did each day: Good and bad. They called it the 100k challenge and did jt to see how long it would take each individual to reach 100k. I did it before having my last baby and when I logged back on it was no longer active. Its a good challenge to set yourself x

I got a garmin vitafit for Xmas which is basically a fancy pedometer which tracks steps and calories. At the moment my target is 7500 a day and so far today I have done 8411. I work in an office as a PA so I am usually pottering around. I think I walk 1/2 a mile to and from the car park to work. So I think if I did I bit extra I could walk 10000 steps quite easily. It does sound a lot, but you might be surprised by what you actually do without knowing. Over Xmas some days I was doing about 2.5 miles around the house, which shocked me! I'm loving mine and think that the 100k challenge sounds a great idea, if anyone else is?

If a few folk want to give it a bash then I can set up a thread in the exercise section as I imagine it would be moved from here anyway x

I walked 100k in 26hours 12 mins that was for charity tho...and I'm still growing my toe nails back and that was in June lol

I've wearing a pedometer for about a year now and when I started I was doing roughly 6000ish on a good day and more if I went to the gym. Now I regularly go over 10,000 with more if I have a particularly active day at work (office based but with opportunities to get out and about). Just knowing walking was counting to something made me want to take every opportunity to take the stairs or run an errand, it was really surprising how much of a boost it gave me and I can fairly easily achieve above 15,000 by going for a run or a class or something. I've not been averaging a great amount since Christmas (barely to 10,000 or just under a lot of the time) but now I'm getting back in my routines.

Ok, I will set one up over the weekend for a Monday start and post the link here :)

I've just bought a jawbone up which tracks my steps so I'd be up for joining a challenge!

I'm a teacher and I find that everyday walking around the classroom and school site can add up to about 11,000 steps. On a weekend my activity plummets to about 3,000 or 4,000 if I'm not careful. I started doing a Sunday evening walk to try and get things going again, but with the dark weather it's a little harder to convince myself to get up and go.

I've got the small cheap(er!) fitbit, although I'm a bit annoyed they won't sync properly with Apple's HealthKit now, so I'm relying more on my iPhone to track steps. I think I might try your challenge: might get me off my backside and doing something on a weekend!

I'm a teacher and I find that everyday walking around the classroom and school site can add up to about 11,000 steps. On a weekend my activity plummets to about 3,000 or 4,000 if I'm not careful. I started doing a Sunday evening walk to try and get things going again, but with the dark weather it's a little harder to convince myself to get up and go.

I've got the small cheap(er!) fitbit, although I'm a bit annoyed they won't sync properly with Apple's HealthKit now, so I'm relying more on my iPhone to track steps. I think I might try your challenge: might get me off my backside and doing something on a weekend!

The more the merrier! Although everyone will be recording in the same place, its a personal challenge and some folk may do it quicker than others. You are only in competition with yourself :)

Back