24stone woman dies after gastric band surgery

Hi Funky Munky, people who get the surgery on the NHS have to go through a whole heap of tests and meetings with dieticians etc before they can get the op, its not just oh you're over weight here is your op date now off you go, I have read posts where people get so peeved off with what they have to go through before they can actually get it. It can take up to 2 years in some areas!

People that go privately just book a consultation, pay for the op and its done within a couple of weeks, they see a dietician a few times within their package and thats basically it!

As with your MIL it could be more risky her not having the op if the docs are so concerned about her weight, I know of people who have had every condition under the sun (diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol etc) and it all vanishes within a short period of time after having their ops (not all people tho) .....every case on its own merit! :)

how very sad :( :(
but i will say that i am certain there have been a whole lot more successful outcomes than tragic or 'failed' outcomes otherwise this type of surgery wouldn't still be performed. i think that it will and does work for the right person, and i don't imagine its something that is taken lightly. i feel for the people who go for this type of option, it must be terrifying, so to call it a 'quick fix' is harsh to say the least. they are still people who have families, loved ones etc, and for it to be a success is as great an acheivement as losing it any other way.

just my 2 pence worth :)

As with your MIL it could be more risky her not having the op if the docs are so concerned about her weight, I know of people who have had every condition under the sun (diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol etc) and it all vanishes within a short period of time after having their ops (not all people tho) .....every case on its own merit! :)
I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I think there are some people who have never had to worry about the health problems associated with being overweight (I would probably include myself in this to be fair!) who probably cannot appreciate this side of the arguement. Yes it takes time and patience and a hell of a lot of hard work to lose a lot of weight through diet and exercise alone, but for some people they cannot physically wait that long to go through that process cos of the impact it has on their health.

AS a bloke, and supposedly insensitive and all that malarkey, I would just like to say that someone out there has tragically lost their life. She might be someone's partner, sister, mother, daughter, aunt etc. and irrespective of all our opinions about weight loss, best way to lose it, what we think about bands/surgery, etc. there is no way that person deserved to die.

I'd willingly trade my weight loss now for this person to have her life back, because I could lose it again whilst they have no second chance.

Not the time to debate pro's and cons.

Steve

AS a bloke, and supposedly insensitive and all that malarkey, I would just like to say that someone out there has tragically lost their life. She might be someone's partner, sister, mother, daughter, aunt etc. and irrespective of all our opinions about weight loss, best way to lose it, what we think about bands/surgery, etc. there is no way that person deserved to die.

I'd willingly trade my weight loss now for this person to have her life back, because I could lose it again whilst they have no second chance.

Not the time to debate pro's and cons.

Steve

No-one on here said she deserved to die and when something like this happens it always opens up the gates for pros & cons etc, what peeves me off is people claiming its a quick fix or an easy way out when it isn't, how the hell is putting yourself under anesthetic 'the easy way out' some people just like to jump on the band wagon and like to think they know it all when they clearly don't!!!

vanilla_cupcake said:
No-one on here said she deserved to die and when something like this happens it always opens up the gates for pros & cons etc, what peeves me off is people claiming its a quick fix or an easy way out when it isn't, how the hell is putting yourself under anesthetic 'the easy way out' some people just like to jump on the band wagon and like to think they know it all when they clearly don't!!!

Bit unfair isn't it? Where did he say that people were saying she deserved to die?!? All he said was that the fact this woman had died seemed to have got lost in a discussion about pro's/cons of wls.

VC,

I'm not sure who or what has upset you, but you appear to have come onto the thread all guns blazing! (ref: posts 14 & 15)

Please refer to the final line of my post,

and I quote,

"Not the time to debate pro's and cons"

Steve

Back