480lb....what happened to me?!

Hi everyone, Happy New Year!

Today has been a good day so far although I ate a bit too much roast dinner. I did record it all on mfp though and I am still under my calorie allowance (just) if I have some soup and bread for my tea. My oldest daughter has started her wedding diet so she has been very supportive too.

I had a quiet New Year's Eve as I don't drink alcohol due to the meds I take. It was nice to have an evening with the family all under one roof though. I have decided that for my resolutions I am going to be nicer to myself and losing weight will be an important part of that. I will challenge myself to get out of the house as well as I am pretty much a 'shut-in' and I am missing out on so much.

I love knitting soft toys craftygirl, and you are right, you can't craft with sticky fingers lol. I made so many owls and hedgehogs for Christmas presents that I had a rest from it over Christmas itself. I am ready to pick up my needles again though. I've also bought myself a sewing machine and I will be trying to learn how to use it this year with the aim of altering some clothes of mine eventually.

I can't remember if I said I was going to buy a new dress/tunic several sizes smaller as a motivator. Well it came yesterday and it's so lovely. I will hang it up so I can see it everyday and I will try it on in the Spring to see how far I have to go. It's very bright which is great as my wardrobe is full of black or purple items of clothing as they are "slimming" yeah sure lol. Anyway, it brings me a lot of joy to look at it and when I eventually get to wear it I will be like a dog with two tails :):).

I hope you guys enjoyed your New Year celebrations, wishing you much happiness this year and lots of good health too xx

Hello Jo,
Loving the username :D An excellent idea to learn how to alter your existing clothes. I once lost 10 stone (though never got to goal and have put it all back on again now, hence my appearance in this forum :rolleyes:) and found that shrinking through the sizes meant updating my wardrobe more frequently than my purse was thankful for :oops: so doing your own alterations is economical as well as morale-boosting... Win win :) Also I notice you've got sore back etc. and thought I would mention that last time I lost weight, I got down to about 17 stone and realised that all my health problems (sore back, sore feet, swollen ankles, eczema etc.) had completely disappeared. I mention that so you know that you don't necessarily have to be even close to your final end goal to feel the benefits... In fact I notice I sleep much better even just a couple of days into a weight loss effort. It actually sounds like you're enjoying the challenge so far so I wish you lots of good luck :)
Alice

Hi Jo,

That's a good idea, although I'm rubbish at alterations. However, my mum is a pro.

I like the idea of buying something in a smaller size. I might try that, or buy something for myself when I get to a certain goal.

Amy

Hi Jo,
Great idea to but a lovely outfit to aim for. That feeling when you fit into something at a smaller size is so great, you'll be there in no time!

happy new year!

I'm back in the wagon on Monday... The sugars crash is going to be tough, but really looking forward to getting back onto my plan and hopefully seeing the losses coming in

Hi Jo, you've found the right place. There are a lot of people on here that have dealt with serious weight issues so there is a lot of useful advice and support around. I can't listen to my body so I have to make decisions consciously. I have to accept that this is how I am and if that means I have to permanently do a certain amount of planning and counting that other people don't, then so be it.

Good morning everyone, I just couldn't resist jumping on the scales this morning as I felt thinner lol. I have lost 10lb since starting this diet so I am absolutely delighted, now off to celebrate with cake...not really ;). I am actually surprised at how emotional I feel about it, I know this fat isn't going to just fall off me and most people lose a lot of water weight in their first week but it is so encouraging to hear my super duper talking scales tell me I am lighter.

The big test will be tomorrow as my husband and girls will be back at work/school and it will be me here all on my lonesome. If I can learn to stop looking in the fridge especially when we have a small cheese mountain in there it would be good. I think I have a visitor coming in the morning so I will be occupied then and I will look for a new knitting project in the afternoon.

I am not going to weigh myself again for a good long while as I feel more encouraged if there is a better loss. I used to be a daily weigher and it really sabotaged me as I couldn't cope with a gain even when it was due to normal monthly fluctuations. I agree with you susu, I am never going to be someone who is relaxed about food and I can see myself planning and keeping track of calories for ever. But, I don't feel bad about that. Obviously not planning has led to me being massively overweight and has caused significant health problems. Something has to give.

Well, I hope you all have a great day and make healthy choices, take care xx

10lbs loss is great! Well done. Hopefully that will help to keep you motivated.
I know what you mean about avoiding the temptation to weigh in daily! I only weigh in once a week.

Just wanted to stop by and wish you all the best on your journey. My advice is don't start anything that you can't keep up for the long term - no massive restricting of calories or food types, for example. And drink plenty of water, it makes a lot of difference. I'll look forward to getting to know you more! You're doing great xxx

10lbs is fantastic Jo, well done!!
Essie is very wise - choose a plan that you can stick to. Perseverance is the name of the game, and a bit of stubbornness helps too :)

Woah!! 10lbs!! Smashed it luv :)

10lb is a stonking first weigh in! Well done you. I find painting my nails helps too. Keeps your hands busy and you can't pick with wet nails!:cool:
Have a fabulous day tomorrow x

Well done and congratulations with amazing start. Let it motivate you for many more smashing weight losses. Keep up the hard work x
Smiles

Hi Jo, just coming by to say hello & subscribe. Well done on your loss - that's fabulous!

The only other thing I would add is my experience about discovering what made me hungry. I always thought I was lazy & greedy - but now with hindsight I know that the particular food I was eating was making me that way! Even 'healthy' fruit just made me starving:( Once I discovered a way of eating & types of food that suited me - my hunger reduced, my energy increased and even better all my awful skin conditions went away. Almost as a side opportunity the weight came off:) Also discovering my trigger foods that I cannot, literally cannot stop eating eg peanuts. Perhaps as you start to notice your calories & food you can also see if any particular things make you hungrier or trigger cravings.

Good luck & look forward to following your journey

Back