74 stone woman...

Have to say I am quite surprised by this thread. I would have thought that those of us with a weight problem understand only too well how miserable weight can make a person feel and how they can get stuck in the cycle of comfort eating because they feel so awful about their weight. We are all lucky because we have had that 'I can't go on like this anymore' moment.' It doesn't automatically happen at any particular weight as can be seen by the different range of targets and weight losses on this thread. I think it is dangerous to have the smug 'oh how could she possibly let herself get like that' attitude because it just might be that some terrible trauma happens in our life that takes us off the weight loss path and makes us gain and gain even more. Perhaps our collective attitude should be 'there but for the grace of god go I'. That said I wish all of us the very best in our weight loss efforts and let's be thankful that we've support on here and from our nearest and dearest to help us get there xx

beckyn22 I don't think the people on this thread are being nasty in their 'we don't understand' comments, I think (well for me it is) it's a genuine caring 'we don't understand' thread.

We have all come to a point in our lives where we've realised enough is enough, and we would be interested to find out why she didn't, or were there other factors, eg depression.:confused:

Yes I consider myself lucky I realised enough was enough & found this site, I definately would have struggled without the help & support of all my 'virtual friends':D

As the thread starter, I feel my original post explains itself. I wasn't being nasty, I do not understand how the day comes about when you just cannot get out of bed...even to go to the toilet. I feel documentaries of this kind always avoid those questions.

I don't think anybody has been nasty but, unfortunately, as people who have had the weight epiphany amongst a forum of users who have also had it, it is difficult to watch those documentaries in anything other than shock!

Oh absolutely - I didn't mean it to come across as accusing anyone in particular as being nasty; it just seemed the general theme of the thread seemed a bit unempathic.

I know the lady in question is a very extreme example but thinking about it I can see how that could happen and why many people get into the 30, 40, 50 stone bracket. I mean I'm double the weight I was as a young teenager and for years I stayed between 17- 18 stones then had a really bad year and put on 3 stones, then another stone last year and am now (touch wood) hopefully on the way down. One of my friends is and always has been naturally slim (7 and a half stones) so I'm almost 3 times the weight she is and this lady is over 3 times as big as me. See what I mean? It's all relative. If someone had said to me, 7 years ago, 'You'll end up being 22 and a half stones' I would have thought 'no way - I'd never let myself get to that' but it can go on very quickly as we all know. The other thing is that food, particularly junk food, is very cheap in the states; much cheaper than over here but it was a good point made that the lady would be spending an enormous amount on food. Did anyone see 'Bodyshock' where the world's heaviest man - 90 stones - got married on a float in bed and has since lost 45 stones so that he can have children. Just goes to show there's always hope and a turnaround point xx

Back