a bit backwards

Franalamadingdong

Gold Member
This may sound odd and I was wondering if anyone else can relate. I have lost nearly 4.5 stone on slimming world, and despite knowing I am getting smaller I feel bigger. I think it is partly because I was in denial about the size I had gotten to and now I am more aware of my actual size.

It doesn't help that at group I'm told I am a normal size now, at 16 stone and a size 16 I know that they are being rather generous!

So, does anyone else feel bigger now than before they lost weight?

I don't feel bigger per se but I do feel as though im AS big. Even though I'm (just short) of 10 stones lighter than I was when I started, I still feel massive so know where you're coming from!

It depends what I'm doing-when I'm exercising I feel big because the ppl around me are matchsticks but when I'm out and about I feel more confident because I'm thinner x

I don't feel bigger but as another poster said 'just as big'...I don't feel any different now than I did when I was 3 stone up... I actually came back from group after a blip on thursday and compared two photos of me to see and there is a big difference! But I can't see it myself when I look in the mirror.

This may sound odd and I was wondering if anyone else can relate. I have lost nearly 4.5 stone on slimming world, and despite knowing I am getting smaller I feel bigger. I think it is partly because I was in denial about the size I had gotten to and now I am more aware of my actual size.

It doesn't help that at group I'm told I am a normal size now, at 16 stone and a size 16 I know that they are being rather generous!

So, does anyone else feel bigger now than before they lost weight?

Yes!! I was sitting in bed last night, squeezing my tummy, thinking "i'm so fat" (the teenage girl in all of us). I never really thought much of it in the past. People tell me im not fat anymore, even my GP said i dont need to lose weight. But i sometimes just feel huge.

Other people can be as inaccurate however as we are ourselves. Their determination of you not being fat is directly connected to how big you were, and now they see you different. I recalled an example a few days ago, my mum telling me i shouldnt lose anymore weight, however my sister is probably bmi 20-22, not an ounce of fat on her, yet my mum doesnt tell her to put on weight.

Dont let other people attempting to be nice slow down your journey. The big breakthrough changes in how I looked kicked in at 30 bmi. I stopped looking like a less fat me, and started looking like a different person.

I don't feel bigger per se but I do feel as though im AS big. Even though I'm (just short) of 10 stones lighter than I was when I started, I still feel massive so know where you're coming from!

BMI of 63 to 37 is pretty darn impressive. It must have been hard just living, breathing and facing the world at that weight.

In agreement with everyone else, I feel as big as I was. Now and again a photo I've had taken will show how much I've lost and I can see it but just day to day, looking in the mirror, i feel just as big!! Maybe our minds playing tricks x

Thanks everyone. I'm only recently seeing the real size I used to be when I'm having to print out "before" photos.

I'm really not letting it slow me down. I corrected the lady and said i was now normal fat person rather than extreme fat I was before. I'm looking at a good loss this week so I am keeping going.

Last week I was in a shop picking out things to try on and the shop assistant said I was picking out the wrong sizes and picked out smaller ones and said I was narrower in the waist than she is and she's a 16. I thought she was smaller than me.

I guess it is all going to take some getting used to. I have zero spacial awareness as it is which doesn't help.

I know what you mean about picking out lumps of fat, although now the handfuls are getting smaller.

Thank you everyone for replying. It is also amazing to see everyone's statistics, you've all done so incredibly well. It is wonderful to see how well this plan works.

gazter said:
BMI of 63 to 37 is pretty darn impressive. It must have been hard just living, breathing and facing the world at that weight.

Thanks gazter. Yes it was a pretty unpleasant way of living that's true. SW definitely gave me my life back. And I can see an obvious difference in photos etc. it's just...I guess when you've been used to being so extremely large for so long it's hard to see yourself as anything different. I'm so self critical and always have been which doesn't help, but curiously I wasn't AS self critical
Of my size when I wash largest. I think I had serious self denial!

that is so true! had this conversation with my Hubby last night. I said I am fat, even in my new size and he said no you not, you just curvy now but all I can see is the fat that is left on me i need to think hard how I used to look, I still don't like pictures and even after my loss I consider myself fat. only when I put old clothes on- still have the same work coat-can see the difference, or a belt or something and than I think...OMG was I that fat!!

My husband said he can't remember me at my biggest-and tbh I don't remember been that big cos my eyes didn't see it. It's only now that I see the difference:

Attachments

• image-1003348570.jpg
    image-1003348570.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 140
  • image-3279612167.jpg
    image-3279612167.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 128
  • image-3425609049.jpg
    image-3425609049.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 126
  • image-687749073.jpg
    image-687749073.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 134
I think sometimes I'm harsher on myself as I've lost weight - I'm more acutely aware of the things I don't like. For the most part I feel smaller just from the ease of moving and stuff now, but sometimes I look in the mirror and see smaller / bigger than I am. It's odd. My brain is blatantly confused!

You have lost a lot of weight so fast - maybe your head simply hasnt caught up to your body! kudos to you though you haver absolutely amazing - do you have a blog at all? Id love to read it if you have. Cant believe how well you have done!

Yes, I have to agree with what most people have said. Even though I'm now at target, i still look in the mirror and can only seem to focus on my lumps and bumps! Only when I try on clothes that used to be tight and now hang off me do I realise how far I've come. I sometimes think that even if I weighed 8 stones, there would be something I wouldn't be happy with!

Franalamadingdong said:
Bubbs, let's hope our brains catch up!

Emma, I followed your lead and took a photo and compared it to my "before" photo. I then uploaded BOTH to Facebook because I have been too scared my friends asking for a photo wouldn't see me as smaller. But I can see it with photos side by side. So thank you.

Make sure you take photos regularly-I take 1 whenever I'm feeling a bit down or asking myself 'is it worth it?' Then I realise OF COURSE IT IS :) xx

Mrs tommo, I never thought anyone would say that about me! My average is just under 1.5lbs a week and I don't do big losses so it doesn't seem fast to me! I don't have a blog, sorry, maybe I should start one ;)

That is true woowoo, I just know seeing the pictures I don't want to go back to my before state.

That's a good idea. I'm stubborn and I know my family won't let me give up. You look lots slimmer in your pictures than your stats suggest which must be encouraging

yes i can relate to an extent. i tend to feel big no matter what i weigh. i think in my case a lot of it stems from the fact that i am only 4ft 8 so feel any weight is heavy for my height....it is next to impossible to be light for my height at my height :cry::cry::cry:

sometimes i see myself as big or small in the mirror and it;s hard for me to know what i really look like

no matter how much weight i lose i know i will not be happy [due to other stresses in my life and the fact that their will always be bits of my appearance i don't like] but am trying to lose weight to improve my fatty liver.

Back