A cautionary word about using ketostix.

John F

Just throwing this out there :

"My ketostix are telling me that I'm not in ketosis!! But I've been good! Should I just stop the diet, as I won't lose weight if I'm not in ketosis?"

No.

Ketones will spill into the urine ONLY when there is more in the blood than is being used as fuel by the body at that particular moment.

You may have exercised or worked a few hours previously, so your muscles would have used up the ketones as fuel, thus there will be no excess. You may have had a lot of liquids to drink, so the urine is more diluted. Perhaps the strips are not fresh, or the lid was not on tight and some moisture from the atmosphere got in.

Some people NEVER show above trace or negative even ... yet they burn fat and lose weight just fine. If you're losing weight, and your clothes are getting looser, you're feeling well and not hungry all the time .. then you are successfully in ketosis.

Don't get hung up on the strips; they're just a guide, nothing more.

Reactions: KD
Well said. My stix never showed a positive, yet I lost 8 stone and was definitely in ketosis.

very true i have never bothered with them and to some extent i arent bothered about what the scales say its to me about how you feel and how your clothes fit

my ketostix always shows deep purple... which according to alot of people on this site means that I am dehydrated or have an infection... and I definitely dont have that and am not dehydrated.. doc says so too... But to be fair my ketostix have always shown that Im in ketosis.

'smoke on the water' lol

nevermind, im showing my age

h xx

John, just looked at your statistics. You've lost 22lbs in just over a week on the diet!! How on earth did you manage that...!?!? Dont think Ive seen anyone lose weight so fast x

I had a lot to lose. :( Besides, that's just the glycogen and water. Glycogen is stored mostly in the muscles, and despite me having arms like twine and a belly that Buddha would be proud of, my legs are actually quite muscular. (How could they not be? They routinely lug 19 stone around, as I'm relatively active.)

In week 2, when it comes to losing fat, I'll be dropping the standard amount along with everyone else, and averaging 21lbs loss a month.

I agree with yorkshire adam I have never used them beleiving that if the diet is followed as advised the weight will come of I also do not get weighed any other time than at the chemists and although losing the lbs is a great incentive to carry on from week to week I agree that the feeling that your clothes fit better/ falling of and needing smaller sizes is more moral boosting.

keep up the good work all of you, sorry to ramble but i am really focused today which is really scarey lol!!

xx Sharron

Nah, Rosiered, I'm not particularly delighted, and not really waiting for the next weigh in. I'm sort of mellowly taking it a day at a time.

Nah, Rosiered, I'm not particularly delighted, and not really waiting for the next weigh in. I'm sort of mellowly taking it a day at a time.

Thats a good attitude to have. My aim with this diet on a day to day basis is just to take it a day at a time. I have had to refeed twice this week due to cancelled weigh ins and no lipotrim. I have no idea what my weigh in will be next tuesday and i'm not going to stress. I already know I have made the best step in acknowledging my food habits....so let the days roll by I say ;)

My ketostix showed all last week that I was in ketosis but only lost a pound!!
Looking forward to double loss this week (ihoooooope)

Thanks John, i was going to buy some sticks but i do feel my clothes getting alot more lose so wont bother :)

My ketostix rarely showed more than very pale, usually nothing but as long as I was losing it didn't bother me and I rarely ever used them.

x

Back