A Question for those who go to class

Rock and hard stone seems to spring to mind. Hope you get it sorted soon.

I used to go with a friend of mine but her shifts changed at work so she cant make it anymore. I would quite like someone to go with me because sometimes I really need a kick up the bum and my cons. is a bit useless. But like a few people have said, if they fall off the waggon I can imagine that they'd take you with them!

I go by myself.....got no one to go with :(
aawwh what a shame. i too started class on my own, quite a daunting experience. I got chatting to the person sitting beside me and suggested we go for coffee after the class. There are now four of us who exchange ideas and chat in general while having our coffee. I love going to class even though I have reached my target. I am sure you will find a pal, after all you all have something in common. Dont be shy. Good luck with the weight loss.
:)

I go to class with my OH, we joined up together 10-11 weeks ago now and are loving it. My losses to date have tended to be smallish each week (with a couple of exceptions) whereas my OH has lost 3-4lbs each week (again with a couple of exceptions.

We tend to just go and weigh in, have a quick natter with some of the others and then leave, not staying for the actual class - partly because we never seem to have time to stay and partly because the couple of times we have (or I have if he's been away with work) we haven't felt as if we have gained anything from staying. The group are great, there are a few real stars who go, who are so friendly and helpful... far more so than our actual consultant who, in my view, could do so much more with the meetings than she currently does.

I've always gone on my own as i think if i can build up enough courage to walk into a group on my own then i can do it on my own.

Although when i started my new group last week my friend who's just had a baby turned up to sign up too which was nice.

I go by myself.....got no one to go with :(

the same

I have asked my friend but she is a WW girl and doesnt fancy slimming world at all.

My sister is doing it but she lives 300 miles away so we only chat on the phone about it

I would like more support

I started with a friend who had lost a lot and reached target. She was an inspiration and came with me for the first few weeks. Now she knows I'm settled and am meeting others she doesn't always stay for the class, but am grateful for her ongoing support.
Unless you know that the person you are trying to lose weight with is 100% focused then I would be wary, or just be super, super motivated! I go to group but my husband is losing weight at home too, we have a common goal for next summer and I know we will both get there together.

Do you have any idea why she struggles to stay on plan? Is it that the cooking is overwhelming or she just chooses to eat other stuff maybe if you could help her with why she is struggling it would be easier for you both? The big problem is if she simply can't be bothered or doesn't want to try sticking to plan you won't be able to make her. I know this is probably going to sound stupid but is there any chance you could go to the meeting near you to help yourself perhaps even pick up some tips that would help her and maybe go with her to hers as well just as a friend and not pay/weigh for a few weeks? Hubby comes with me so he can watch our little guy and no-one seems to mind that he's not a member. Hugs Crystal xx

Thanks for the advice. I probably sound terrible saying this but i doubt if she went on her own she would be any different tbh. Im afraid of if i dont go with her she wont go at all if that makes sense. She has already started suggesting we dont stay to group every week - i think she is picking up i dont enjoy it!!

I think i am just gonner have to bite the bullet and change groups or stop going. I know that i cannot be responsible for her, but i do still want to help her and would feel terrible if she stopped going cos of me!! My oh seems to think that i am using this as an excuse not to go and give up, but he really cannot see how frustrating it is to spend an entire evening with someone who gives me no motivation, and complains they havent lost more weight then talks about everything off plan they have eaten :-((

I don't have any advice I'm afraid but I wanted to say I know what you're going through.
I've mentioned on this forum before that I used to go with a friend who was on Alli and rarely used to follow plan coz the alli helped her out. On the weeks she did stay on plan she would lose 3-4lbs easily but on the bad weeks she would gain or lose a lb. The bad weeks came more than the good so she would always moan about her losses BUT would never actually discuss what she ate or the fact that she was on Alli she would always say she was on plan (which meant she was off plan but hoped Alli would take care of it)
I used to go round her house most Saturday nights which should be ideal on account of both being on sw but as she could cheat she would usually end up leading me astray (and I'm easily lead) and I would be eating junk on wi nights (Thursday) for our weekly 'treat' and junk on a sat night so would usually also be off plan for fri and in the end I started putting on, I eventually gave up going and, if I could change things, I wouldn't have ever gone with her.
Sorry for the rant but the point I want to make is you need to think about your own weight loss journey, if she's not ready you won't change her mind especially if she can't see what she's doing wrong and the chances are she'll end up leading you astray as well.

If she stops going, it won't be because of you. It will be because that is her decision. You won't be preventing her from going.

You have been very patient and you have done your best.

Lukasmummy said:
Do you have any idea why she struggles to stay on plan? Is it that the cooking is overwhelming or she just chooses to eat other stuff maybe if you could help her with why she is struggling it would be easier for you both? The big problem is if she simply can't be bothered or doesn't want to try sticking to plan you won't be able to make her. I know this is probably going to sound stupid but is there any chance you could go to the meeting near you to help yourself perhaps even pick up some tips that would help her and maybe go with her to hers as well just as a friend and not pay/weigh for a few weeks? Hubby comes with me so he can watch our little guy and no-one seems to mind that he's not a member. Hugs Crystal xx

Thanks for your advice Crystal. Im not really sure what she is struggling with in particular, all i know is she doesnt stick to it 100%. It doesnt help she doesnt really discuss it with me really. I had wondered if perhaps she struggled to understand it but our leader has gone over it with her a few times and ive offered help so many times, which she wont take me up on. I wonder sometimes if she fully understands what her diet now is like and the impact this has on her weight - that she thinks her diet now is ok if that makes sense. I also think there is a bit of reluctance to change, like she wont try sweetner or low fat milk cos she says she doesnt like it.

dreamslim said:
I don't have any advice I'm afraid but I wanted to say I know what you're going through.
I've mentioned on this forum before that I used to go with a friend who was on Alli and rarely used to follow plan coz the alli helped her out. On the weeks she did stay on plan she would lose 3-4lbs easily but on the bad weeks she would gain or lose a lb. The bad weeks came more than the good so she would always moan about her losses BUT would never actually discuss what she ate or the fact that she was on Alli she would always say she was on plan (which meant she was off plan but hoped Alli would take care of it)
I used to go round her house most Saturday nights which should be ideal on account of both being on sw but as she could cheat she would usually end up leading me astray (and I'm easily lead) and I would be eating junk on wi nights (Thursday) for our weekly 'treat' and junk on a sat night so would usually also be off plan for fri and in the end I started putting on, I eventually gave up going and, if I could change things, I wouldn't have ever gone with her.
Sorry for the rant but the point I want to make is you need to think about your own weight loss journey, if she's not ready you won't change her mind especially if she can't see what she's doing wrong and the chances are she'll end up leading you astray as well.

Thanks dreamslim! I have been determined not to let it ruin my weightloss but it does effect how i feel about class. In the long run i know if i quit class ill go off the rails tho.

AnnaFaraday said:
If she stops going, it won't be because of you. It will be because that is her decision. You won't be preventing her from going.

You have been very patient and you have done your best.

Thanks for your comments Anna. I think this week is a bit make or break. She has done what looked like an honest food diary and given it to the leader to go over. So hopefully she will listen to the advice she gives her. I am very much focused on getting these last 10 pounds off to get to target. At least then i wont have to pay and can get into the habit of going every other week.

Do you have to sit with her at group
Is there a way you can mingle, perhaps she would start talking to other members?
You could always have a quiet word with your c and explain she is de-motivating you, and ask if she can 'pick' you to do some bits for the group -even if it's putting sw mags in order
It would seem such a shame for her to ruin your time

Kron said:
Do you have to sit with her at group
Is there a way you can mingle, perhaps she would start talking to other members?
You could always have a quiet word with your c and explain she is de-motivating you, and ask if she can 'pick' you to do some bits for the group -even if it's putting sw mags in order
It would seem such a shame for her to ruin your time

I do kinda do that anyway kron, ill have happily chat with the other people there. Its more the idea of me going all that way i resent if that makes sense!!

Back