Extra Easy Days A returner, please read I could do with real help.

saraian24

Gold Member
Hi everyone.

I love slimming world and I desperately want to do it but it can get quite expensive with 6 of us and Ive run into a problem or two. I am a binge eater. I am ok when busy but when life gets tough or im bored - like today. I have a binge. I am disgusted with myself. Im also not a very good cook and im not a fan of fruit and veg really.

I know some of them above are not really excuses, but sadly ivd got to the point I just dont care anymore but I know its lack of self confidence and im hiding behind my weight which currently sits at 17 stone. I know deep down I would be happier.

My husband dont support me, he bought home mint matchsticks last night and knows I love them and knows I will scoff them. And he is picky and wont eat what I do and the children areant great either, ive cooked chasseurs and stews recently but all of are not that keen on them and would prefer beans and mash unfortunately.

Hello

I think what helped me firstly was to realise the hard truth that Slimming World was not a diet but a healthy way of eating and for life, not a temporary solution, I will have to eat healthier for life to keep off what I have lost, so although in the beginning I said i did not like fruit and veg I taught myself to like some of them, because the alternative was either going hungry or not losing weight, and I really wanted to lose weight.

Only you can decide to make a change and only you can stick to it and decide what to put in your mouth, I am sorry you do not have the support of your family though.

You could write a for and against list of reasons why you want to do it and reasons why you do not, it sounds to me like you are unhappy with how you are now, and you can change it, SW works but as I said before only if you keep going, keep getting back on the wagon, treat it as a life change.

SW has a budget recipe book and also green days can work out cheaper, and you can still have beans and mash, with low fat or syn free sausages if you want, or with meat, there are so many veggies that class as Super free and so many ways to cook them you must be able to find some you can eat, if you want it hard enough you can find a way.

I still binge, I don't think I will ever be cured, but they are happening less than they used to and the amounts before stopping are smaller, I will have to attend SW for life to keep it off but I will as it is so worth it, I got into Knee High boots for the first time ever this weekend and blubbed my eyes out, you can do it and the results are very worth it but it is not easy and not a quick fix.

Sorry for the waffle and good luck from another small place in the flat fens!

I guess I've always known that the only way I was going to loose weight and keep it off is by changing my eating habits for good ... I've lost weight before but never kept it off because I couldn't sustain the (frankly ridiculous) eating plans that led to the weight loss.... cigarettes and black coffee anyone? ;)

I'm an emotional binge eater with very deep rooted issues around food and I'm having to deal with that alongside the SW plan itself, but with SW I've found an eating plan that I can visualise following forever. Thankfully I do like almost all vegetables (though I hate, hate hate most tinned food and especially baked beans/tinned spaghetti etc which cuts down on the amount of 'quick' meals I can have). However I have had visitors round to eat who aren't so keen on their veggies and I find that once all my superfree is chopped and hidden in spag bol or chilli or diet coke chicken or a host of other one pot meals, then they simply don't register just how much veg they are eating ... it doesn't have to sit on the plate in a traditional 'meat & 2 veg' style :D

You don't say how old your children are? If they are in their teens then is there any reason why they can't help you cook/cook their own? (so they handle their ordinary sausages while you make low syn ones for you in a separate dish for example). My 3 have always been expected to help in the kitchen and it's really paid dividends as now they are adults they are all competent cooks.

As for your husband ... well I have a husband who basically won't eat anything unless it's deep fried (slight exaggeration but not much). He wouldn't dream of eating the veg or indeed food that I do, so I cook just for me, eat one portion and freeze 3 - which in turn gives me 3 'ready meals' for days when I'm very rushed (I work full time). He in turn cooks for himself which means that I don't get tempted by handling fatty foods. He does still buy himself chocolate treats but he doesn't flaunt them and (so far) I've had no problems with resisting them.

I feel your pain. I am an ex binge eater and consider myself to be in recovery. If you have the time read the first page of my diary where I explain, albeit in a light hearted way. You really do have to want to be your own change. I firmly believe that if you want it enough no matter what obstacles there are you will achieve it. After all I am sure there are many slim people out there with similar issues they just choose to deal with them differently to how how we do.

My husband is very unadventurous with food. It's taken me years to inject some variety into his diet and even now we sometimes eat almost totally different meals with my daughter having a different one again because she's three and, well, eats fish fingers and lots of toast. As is her right at three. You can make most meals slimming world friendly. For example tonight my husband had sausage mash and beans. I had quorn sausages, roasted veg (butternut squash, parsnip, carrots and onions) and baked beans. So there is an extra dish to wash up / throw in the dishwasher. Its a small price to pay. Most of the time I'm tweaking to make the dinner fit but that's the beauty of the plan.

This is is your chance to take some control and you never know, your husband and kids may fall into line over time. Because you made the choice to change you want it all to happen right now. They haven't made the choice to change their ingrained eating habits so it may take a little longer. Be the good influence and give it time.

Totally agree with Molly re putting veg into food rather than on the side. I often eat spag bol packed with mushrooms, red, green and yellow peppers, onions, tinned tomatoes and passata all of which you can buy cheap from Aldi if on a budget. You could make cottage pie with veg in?? Also frozen veg is cheap and can be used to bulk out food and another way to get veg into you is soup. Most people like soup and you can make your own and get the kids involved. There are lots of great recipes here on this site. Good luck with everything :D

Back