A Taste Of Honey

Great goals! You are really inspirational as are all those who achieve such a great weight loss by using a healthy and sustainable method. Well done and keep going!
I really identified with you comments about irrational thoughts regarding what you see in the mirror or comments from others. It is so hard to really believe the enormity of losing all the weight and of course we then become more critical of ourselves and can almost disbelieve the numbers showing on the scales! However, you have to believe in what the scales are telling you and I can tell you even when you almost reach goal you will have some negative thoughts and still have days when you are ultra critical of the way you look. We are all too hard on ourselves of course. Photographic evidence and old clothes will tell you the truth. It wont 'click' overnight once you have lost all the weight but little by little you will no longer identify yourself as a large person. Just keep on doing what you are doing.x

It's week 44 for me on this journey, and I am determined to have a great week. Not so much about the weigh in on Sunday, but more about the next six days, to learn new habits and really focus on this goal, because it's what I want more than anything.

85 lbs lost, 85 lbs left to lose - am at the half way point on this journey to getting to goal, but a lifelong journey on managing my relationship with food. Because let's be honest, nothing much is going to change when I get to goal.
So, the plan for this week to get me to this goal:

- track everything I eat according to Slimming World, and stick to 15 syns a day, or 90 syns for the week
- walk 50,000 steps
- be accountable and honest about how I feel and what I'm eating
- drink more water
- write about my weight, because it helps me to be honest

Today I'm going to make some lovely meals, buy a casserole dish, plan for tomorrow, and walk my a*s off.

Hi Honey,

Just wanted to drop in and say congratulations on your fantastic achievement so far! 85lbs is a phenomenal is such a short time, I hope you are very proud :)

I know exactly what you mean about teaching yourself new habits and changing your relationship with food. I think this is half the battle really. I have a very volatile relationship with food and struggle to maintain a healthy attitude sometimes. I need to learn that food is not the answer to managing the way I feel.

I think your goals are great and I am going to go and write some of my own now to kick start my weight loss (been maintaining lately).

Good luck with the rest of your journey, I shall be checking in to see how you are getting on!

Claire x

I've made some poor food choices on Monday and Tuesday, and am determined to get back on track for the rest of the week (well, life!). I've had blips before, so I'm not too concerned. The interesting thing was the mentality I slipped into right now. Because I had overeaten, I felt like I deserved to eat less today. And there it was - that sense that losing weight = deprivation, despite everything I have learned on this journey. Deprivation and hunger *DOES NOT WORK FOR ME*. Wise food choices and lots of healthy food does.

And yet how quickly I forgot that. I caught myself at lunchtime, and have just had an enormous, filling lunch:
- brown rice
- tuna
- salad (rocket and tomatoes)
- aloo saag

It is very healthy, very filling, and really comforting. So I feel back on a level emotional plain again. It's also that time of the month, when I know that I crave extra food and extra nourishment. It's up to me to make sure that I fuel my body appropriately, and don't 'punish' myself for imagined transgressions.

So remember - I have learned what works and what does not work for me. So no trying to impose 'dieting' mentality on this. I eat well, I eat healthily, I don't feel as though this is punishment.

I nearly went out without lunch, so I would have something to look forward to when I got home. How crazy is that? I suppose it's good to have blips, to catch myself doing things like this and thinking about it and working at it. I'm going to be fine now, I think, because I'm eating fresh fruit and veg, filling up, drinking water, feeling calmer.

I've made some poor food choices on Monday and Tuesday, and am determined to get back on track for the rest of the week (well, life!). I've had blips before, so I'm not too concerned. The interesting thing was the mentality I slipped into right now. Because I had overeaten, I felt like I deserved to eat less today. And there it was - that sense that losing weight = deprivation, despite everything I have learned on this journey. Deprivation and hunger *DOES NOT WORK FOR ME*. Wise food choices and lots of healthy food does.

And yet how quickly I forgot that. I caught myself at lunchtime, and have just had an enormous, filling lunch:
- brown rice
- tuna
- salad (rocket and tomatoes)
- aloo saag

It is very healthy, very filling, and really comforting. So I feel back on a level emotional plain again. It's also that time of the month, when I know that I crave extra food and extra nourishment. It's up to me to make sure that I fuel my body appropriately, and don't 'punish' myself for imagined transgressions.

So remember - I have learned what works and what does not work for me. So no trying to impose 'dieting' mentality on this. I eat well, I eat healthily, I don't feel as though this is punishment.

I nearly went out without lunch, so I would have something to look forward to when I got home. How crazy is that? I suppose it's good to have blips, to catch myself doing things like this and thinking about it and working at it. I'm going to be fine now, I think, because I'm eating fresh fruit and veg, filling up, drinking water, feeling calmer.

You sound like you have got yourself on a level pegging there hun. Whatever you do dont miss lunch!
Im finding myself eating similar things, but good things for that day! I am so anal with my food and my likings! However i know i have been REALLY good.

I know i was naughty last night! But i think so what! Im allowed those naughty things during the day and its perfectly within my allowance... so i dont really feel that bad! :):flirt2:

Hi Honey,

I'm very similar in that if I try to 'compensate' when I've been a bit off plan, I'm more likely to go off plan again. So just get back and carry on as usual. You know that it works :). Good to see that you're less worried about those times - that's a great feeling isn't it :D.

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

@rusticblonde - if what you've eaten is on plan, then it's not naughty. That's what I love about this plan is that I don't feel guilty about eating stuff like that when it's on plan which means that I can enjoy it all the more :). What a great feeling :D. Well done.

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

You sound like you have got yourself on a level pegging there hun. Whatever you do dont miss lunch!
Im finding myself eating similar things, but good things for that day! I am so anal with my food and my likings! However i know i have been REALLY good.

I know i was naughty last night! But i think so what! Im allowed those naughty things during the day and its perfectly within my allowance... so i dont really feel that bad! :):flirt2:

Thank you!!! I'm definitely not going to do that again, or at least, I'm going to remember what I've learned.

I agree with Gail, I try really hard to steer away from calling myself 'good' or 'bad' - it's about making healthy choices most of the time! :D

Hi Honey,

I'm very similar in that if I try to 'compensate' when I've been a bit off plan, I'm more likely to go off plan again. So just get back and carry on as usual. You know that it works :). Good to see that you're less worried about those times - that's a great feeling isn't it :D.

Gail x

Definitely - and a good lesson to learn. I still do worry that if I start to gain weight then I won't stop. And I don't think that's entirely unrealistic, in that for me, if I don't get a grip on things within a day or two (or week or two) then I will get into a downward spiral. For me, it's really important to weigh in every Sunday no matter what, good or bad. I do feel more relaxed, though, and I have a theory that days when I struggle are really important to me. Because the fact that I can have a day when it's all too difficult and I over eat, but THEN I get back on track teaches me to move away from my all or nothing thinking, which is a big downfall for me!!

THIS is one of the best reasons so far – shopping for clothes in second hand/charity shops! I spent the afternoon leisurely looking, and because I live in a very large, very plush city, I scored loads of bargains because I am now able to fit into the sizes easily. I felt so happy and upbeat, choosing what I wanted to wear and what would look nice, colours and style. I’ll have even more choice the more weight I lose, and I love love love clothes, it turns out. I bought a load of tops in various colours (grey, cream, black and blue), a gorgeous shirt and a necklace.

Such a buzz, I feel great. And I am deliberately buying things on the cusp of being too tight, so when I try them on I can see how much weight I’ve lost, whereas the old baggy things don’t really show it off.
Woo hoo – a fantastically fantastic reason to lose weight.

Morning Honey! Shopping for clothes is definitely an incentive to carry on losing the weight. I heard that fitted clothes are more flattering anyway as very loose clothing can add pounds. As you say you will be able to guage the weight loss easily too. Whatever people say life is simpler when you reach a 'normal' size-fitting in seats, going on rides, buying clothes etc. It doesn't necessarily make all your problems etc dissappear but it takes away some of the day to day problems we face. Enjoy your new hobby!x

Definitely - and a good lesson to learn. I still do worry that if I start to gain weight then I won't stop. And I don't think that's entirely unrealistic, in that for me, if I don't get a grip on things within a day or two (or week or two) then I will get into a downward spiral. For me, it's really important to weigh in every Sunday no matter what, good or bad. I do feel more relaxed, though, and I have a theory that days when I struggle are really important to me. Because the fact that I can have a day when it's all too difficult and I over eat, but THEN I get back on track teaches me to move away from my all or nothing thinking, which is a big downfall for me!!

I have learnt that I can now have 1 or more (sometimes 2 or 3) bad days and then can still get back on track but I still worry about that too. For me it's also important. I am less worried about the gains too (considering that I hadn't had any gains at all until Feb this year !) but I am still motivated by not gaining !!

THIS is one of the best reasons so far – shopping for clothes in second hand/charity shops! I spent the afternoon leisurely looking, and because I live in a very large, very plush city, I scored loads of bargains because I am now able to fit into the sizes easily. I felt so happy and upbeat, choosing what I wanted to wear and what would look nice, colours and style. I’ll have even more choice the more weight I lose, and I love love love clothes, it turns out. I bought a load of tops in various colours (grey, cream, black and blue), a gorgeous shirt and a necklace.

Such a buzz, I feel great. And I am deliberately buying things on the cusp of being too tight, so when I try them on I can see how much weight I’ve lost, whereas the old baggy things don’t really show it off.
Woo hoo – a fantastically fantastic reason to lose weight.

Fantastic. It is such a great feeling. I am soooo delighted for you. What size are you now ? I have gone from a size 24 to a 14-16 now. I still feel when I walk into 'normal' shop that I shouldn't be there (and I've only had the confidence to buy from about 2 or 3 places that I hadn't been able to buy from before !!!) and that someone will say to me 'you shouldn't be here' but it is so great to be able to buy clothes from most places. I can't wait to hear more stories as you continue to lose :). Really well done honey. I'm so proud of you :D

Gail x

I have learnt that I can now have 1 or more (sometimes 2 or 3) bad days and then can still get back on track but I still worry about that too. For me it's also important. I am less worried about the gains too (considering that I hadn't had any gains at all until Feb this year !) but I am still motivated by not gaining !!

Fantastic. It is such a great feeling. I am soooo delighted for you. What size are you now ? I have gone from a size 24 to a 14-16 now. I still feel when I walk into 'normal' shop that I shouldn't be there (and I've only had the confidence to buy from about 2 or 3 places that I hadn't been able to buy from before !!!) and that someone will say to me 'you shouldn't be here' but it is so great to be able to buy clothes from most places. I can't wait to hear more stories as you continue to lose :). Really well done honey. I'm so proud of you :D

Gail x

I'm not sure of sizes, to be honest - I get freaked out quite easily by not really knowing my body at all at the moment. I think I'm about a size 22 just now, but it varies a lot; I also tend to drop a size every stone or so, and of course the weight isn't coming off uniformly at all. My arms and shoulders have lost a lot of weight, but it changes a lot.

This week has been a real struggle for me. I’m finding it hard to make healthy food choices easily. I’m doing it, more or less, but not easily. Gah. I’m out of my routine because I’m off work, and maybe that’s it. Lots of knock-on effects? But not an easy week.

Sigh.

But, that’s okay. What counts is:
- keep at it, no such thing as perfectionism here
- accountability: no losing myself in comfort eating
- weight in as usual on Sunday
- no waiting to get started, this is me slogging onwards and upwards

I think it’s good for me to experience tough weeks. I think it’s important for me to learn lifelong coping mechanisms for my relationship with food, and to also understand, profoundly understand, that perfectionism is a strait jacket. It’s not about being perfect, it’s about keeping going when it’s not easy, plodding forward when I feel I’m going to fail. So, not the worst thing, but a tough week in terms of losing weight. I’ll get there though.

I'm also very very very tired this week, which is throwing me as well. Someone pointed out that it's because I've been working so hard, both at work and on my personal goals, but I am physically shattered.

Anyway, this sounds whiney and it's not meant to be. Just a tough week for some reason...

Okay, it’s been three days of fairly easy weight loss this week. I haven’t struggled or been tempted. What’s the difference between this week and last? I think it might be the walking and my various routines. I don’t know. I’m getting up early and going out first thing, I’m taking three or four 20 minute walks a day, and I’m having super-active days. Is that seriously the difference? I had my period last week, but the struggle was after it, not before, so I don’t think that it was hormonal.

But I want to remember this: that struggles end and it gets easier. Next time I have a tough day/week – and I will have tough times in the future – I’d like to remind myself of these entries, and I’d like to just trust that these things work and implement them. Kind of like a letter to my future self.

Today I feel confident that my weight loss will continue. Looking at the stats, I routinely have lost 2 lbs a week this year. I don’t have the big losses, but I reliably lose two pounds. Bang on all the recommendations. It’s almost boring – almost but of course not! I am sort of expecting it to slow down to a pound or a pound and a half a week in the second half of the year. That’s okay though. I’ve read this so many times before, but it really is a marathon and not a sprint. It actually means something to me now. Having done this for almost a year, it shows me the importance of habits, routines, and steadily chipping away at something over and over again.

I think what’s going to be quite strange is that despite having an easier week and all this, I can see myself putting on weight inexplicably on Sunday, lol. Ah well, that happens, and am fully prepared.

I know I’m saying the same things over and over again, but I’m just not tempted to over-eat this week at all. It’s not like I’m struggling and resisting, I’m just not bothered.

I wonder if it’s because I’m back to having big healthy lunches, and when I’m hungry I eat, but I eat well?

I even went out for lunch yesterday, but instead of feeling guilty I made really good choices and I enjoyed myself. I like spicier food, I must say – the very hot chickpea curry rather than the creamy and fatty lamb pasanda.

So this week is going well. I do think it’s making sure that I do the things that I know work. And for me, regular walking really helps! Just to take it easy and get out there – maybe it’s psychological.

It’s very strange, the week I struggled I lost more weight than the week in which I didn’t struggle. I have no real opinion on that. Well, I do have one – it’s this. I am pretty sure that the way I am losing weight is the right way for me. I do not think it’s a good idea to tinker with it just now based on small changes, but to trust in the overall process. I have a tendency (we most to) to draw correlations from our experience. So: last week I ate 4 bananas and lost 1 lbs, the week before I ate 0 bananas and lost 2 lbs, therefore it must be the bananas, and cut back on bananas.

My mind definitely has tendencies this way – but I’m not doing this, because I don’t want to mark food out as ‘good’ or ‘bad’, or at least not fruit and vegetables and all the ‘free’ food that I eat on this diet.

So it’s a week of basics that I KNOW work for me:
- stick to 15 syns a day
- make sure that 1/3 of everything I eat is ‘super-free’ food (fruit and veg), and do this all the time
- walk three times a day
- early to bed and early to rise

I’m warning myself against introducing ‘rules’. I’ve done this before – stay away from pasta, avoid rice, don’t eat bananas, stick to x, y and z. No, this is not the way I want to go. I am sticking to the plan, because it’s working for me. In another month I will hopefully have lost a hundred pounds. This works for me.

Wednesday’s here, and this week is a solid good achievement so far on my weight loss goal. I’ve eaten sensibly, I’ve walked and walked and walked. I should see a good loss on Sunday provided I make sure that I am motivated and on track for the next three days. Work really does help, you know.

I love being thinner. I love it so much. I love feeling less apologetic about my size. I love feeling healthy and good about myself. I love the transformation in myself. It would be hard right now to change back. Here’s the best secret ever – the longer I stick at it, the more it becomes a weigh/way of life. In another month, I’ll have done a whole year.

There’s nothing new to deal with in ordinary terms. I’ve done Christmas and holidays, I’ve done relationship woes and unhappiness, I’ve done happy and giddy. I’ve been on nights out and days in. And every time I’ve stuck at it, or if I’ve wavered, I’ve come right back to it the next day.

I guess it’s the difference between steady changes and crash dieting. I can see myself doing this for the rest of my life, without any great changes apart from trying different food. I don’t crave bread, booze or sweeties. I love my huge lunches and dinners, full of salad and flavours.

Goodness me, I feel cautiously optimistic. The longer I do this, the more it seems possible that I might continue doing it.

Your post made so much sense. Healthy eating is all about a new way of life as far as eating is concerned and it is all about coping with celebrations, evenings out, low days and high days. We won't be able to go back to eating as we once did so we have to find coping mechanisms to overcome situations and make it sustainable. You appear to have understood this and now realise nothing new can be thrown at you as you have dealt with most situations successfully now. Well done!

Your post made so much sense. Healthy eating is all about a new way of life as far as eating is concerned and it is all about coping with celebrations, evenings out, low days and high days. We won't be able to go back to eating as we once did so we have to find coping mechanisms to overcome situations and make it sustainable. You appear to have understood this and now realise nothing new can be thrown at you as you have dealt with most situations successfully now. Well done!

Thanks my lovely! You say the nicest and most encouraging things, I really appreciate it!!!! :)

I don’t know, I’ve been kind of down the last two days. It’s about weight loss and letting go of a relationship that’s no good, it’s too hot and I’m just cranky. I feel very much like I’m slogging along on this path and it’s hard – or rather, long.

But. So what? My priority is and always has been that I want to lose weight. I want to lose a significant amount of weight, I want to get to my goal weight, I want to maintain for the rest of my life. I’m doing well, I’m close to losing a hundred pounds, but I’m tired.

I’m tired of the fact that it’s a public thing. I find other people’s (unsolicited) advice hard to take in real life.

I’m tired of being on my own. I want someone in my life properly.

Ach, this is turning into self-pity. Right, it’s a warm Tuesday and I’m going to do the following today to achieve my weight loss goals:
- track my eating today and stick to under 12 syns
- drink 2 litres of water
- walk 4 times today (aim for about 10k steps)
- get an early night
- work on my goals and trust in myself

So, let’s see how it goes!

Hi Honey,

I can totally relate to what you are saying so don't worry you are not alone (which may or may not help you !!). You have come so far although I have noticed that you have VERY high expectations of yourself. Stick with it honey because I know you can do it - you have shown that by dealing with the peaks and troughs that this journey has thrown you already. In my opinion that is likely to give you much more longevity on this programme.

Big hugs.

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

P.S. And I totally 'get' what you are saying about the public journey. I also find that uncomfortable too. However I have found on the whole that I am more likely to get supportive comments than anything else. And if people try to make suggestions I just tell them that this way is working for me but everyone is different so you do your thing and I'll do mine and no one has taken offence.......yet !!

Sent from my iPhone

Hi Honey,

I can totally relate to what you are saying so don't worry you are not alone (which may or may not help you !!). You have come so far although I have noticed that you have VERY high expectations of yourself. Stick with it honey because I know you can do it - you have shown that by dealing with the peaks and troughs that this journey has thrown you already. In my opinion that is likely to give you much more longevity on this programme.

Big hugs.

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

It is helpful to know that there are other people who feel the same! Thank you. I do have incredibly high expectations of myself, but then on the other hand, I let myself get morbidly obese...

I am cautiously optimistic, I must say. Even in rubbish weeks, I can see that my habits have changed in the long-term, that after eleven months I will return time and time again to these new habits, so that helps me a lot. I can see that it's better to struggle and fail but keep going than coast through and be perplexed at the first sign of trouble!

I did have the weirdest sensation yesterday that I had put all the weight back on - it was very odd indeed.

Back