A weight question?

MrsDetermined

Better drink that water!
Is the big boned theory a myth?

Everytime I seak with someone about my weight NOONE can believe I have over 2 stone to lose. My family have always said we are big boned - is this true?

I will put pics on soon - the ones I took recently for my before and afters were bikini ones and very embarrassing for me so I need ot pluck up courage!

Hiya

Definately people have different frame sizes but I don't do the big boned thing.

When I was big everyone said I wouldn't be less than 17 stone because I was big boned but I ended up getting down a lot below that and my bones seem to become medium boned!

Therefore I tend to go on things like body fat, BMI, ashwell etc and of course your GP advice and ultimately your own advice!

Mike

Yeah, my husband always nags at me for obsessing about weight quote "muscle and bone weigh too y'know!" so he'd rather I just watched BF% but even on that I have 10% to lose!

Is the big boned theory a myth?

Everytime I seak with someone about my weight NOONE can believe I have over 2 stone to lose. My family have always said we are big boned - is this true?

I will put pics on soon - the ones I took recently for my before and afters were bikini ones and very embarrassing for me so I need ot pluck up courage!

well when i weighed the same as you do now (which isn't that different) I was a size 14, now i'm a 12/14. if i set my target at 140 like you I would be tiny! and people don't beleive me when I say how much i weigh, so yeah i'd go with the big boned theory

I do wonder if 140 is too small but as I begin to drop I may stop if I feel happy. I am 14-16 depending on which shop I am in!

My mother always used the big bone theory with me! (and you're built for comfort not for speed!) OK I am never going to be a size 12, but I shall fit a 14 . I think various excuses for being bigger than we like have always been used, but they are just excuses!

I go with the big boned or large framed theory :)

Some people think it's to do with height, which it isn't. You can be short and large framed, but you usually really know because it's plagued you for a lifetime.

Never being able to buy hats (I was exempt from wearing a school hat because they didn't make one in my size :eek:).

Struggling to find bracelets and watch straps that fit even when slim

Never being able to get into smaller sizes because the 'bones get in the way'

Size 9 shoe for me at my slimmest. Was size 11 before I lost the weight.

All good signs of being large framed :)

HATS! I get mocked for hats! I see someone wearing one and comment on it and they say wanna try it? when I do I cant get it on! Normal comments are - your head must be HUGE! Yeah... thanks for that! LOL

I cant get clothes to fit properly - hips being my biggest problem!

hey!! i have the same thing when i tell people my weight theyr'e like 'nooooooo' i think its a muscle thing!! i have a LOT of muscle. i weigh 10.10lbs and am a size 10 my sister is a size 6-8 and is 7.8lbs. thats a big difference for a dress size (or two) .

Loving the hat theory!! my graduation hat didnt fit....too small haha me and my whale head!! save the whales harpoon me haha!!

I've got mimiscule wrists and ankles and wear size 3 shoes so I am classed as small frame. Sadly the frame isn't big enough for my torso. i often think I look like a blob with string for arms and legs lolxx

For me i would defo go with the *Big Boned Theory*. I am a size 14/16 now at my weight of 15 stone.. 5 foot 7! When i get to goal i will prob be no less than a 12/14 because of my big bones!! lol

I'm classedas a medium frame. I'm 5ft 6.5in and weigh 12st 3.5lb and I'm a size 12/14 on the bottom and 14/16 on the top...damn those boobs.

People don't believe I'm a size 16 on top though and if I tell them my weight they're flabberghasted.
I do have very solid legs, especially my thighs. The OH jokes that I can crush walnuts with them - but I have the gap between my thighs :p . I also have quite big muscles on my shoulders from lot's of swimming and netball when I was younger.

I'd like to get down to 11st, what size that would make me though I don't know :confused:

I'm a milliner (Yes I make hats) and head size for adults varies from 18" to around 25" I know I'll never be a 10 on bottom as I have big hips I was once a size 8 (age 12 but a 10-12 by 16)) but after children my body will never return to that.

So wide hips and big shoulders mean I'll be happy with a size 12 bottom 10/12 top, so yes frame size varies but a mortician once told me he's never seen a skeleton with big bones, wider and heavier possibly but all within reason, no one is naturally a size 20+ just around 6-14 the rest is padding.

OK that's good. So even if I dont reach 140 I hopfully will be a shape I am happy with 10/12 but I wont need to stress about weight.

Everyone in the family weighs more than they look am we are quite muscly as we are big cyclers!

Thanks for the replies. Glad to know its not a myth.

maybe the expression "big framed" is more suitable. by that i mean that your bones are not heavier or wider, just longer and wider spaced, if that makes any sense!

i have wide hips, shoulders and feet, large wrists too.

if i get to 11st something again, and a size 12-14, i will be delighted!

Prior to this attempt of losing weight I lost 3st a few years ago following low GI, I went down to 12st 10lbs and was a size 12 at that weight. I looked and felt great for it, so I imagine if I hit my target BMI which is about 11st max that would make me about a size 8 which I know would mean I would look unhealthy so I believe in some people being big boned. People are amazed when I tell them my weight now cause apparently I dont look 14st 7lbs.

Not sure if its true, however we are all different shapes and sizes, people say im small boned....as im around 12 stone and a size 12, and yet some people are bigger in size, i am fit and power walk lots, not sure if this helps...x

Thank-yo for added replies. I guess it makes sense. I'll keep an eye on my weight loss and see how I do. Once I'm at a happy size, I may not worry about not making it to 10stone. :)

For me i would defo go with the *Big Boned Theory*. I am a size 14/16 now at my weight of 15 stone.. 5 foot 7! When i get to goal i will prob be no less than a 12/14 because of my big bones!! lol

See thats one of those "same weight = different clothes size" things!! I am 12st 6.5, 5"7 like you and a size 14/16 - when I was nudging 14st a couple of years ago I was almost an 18 and when I got measured for a bridesmaids dress they ordered me a 22!! (Stoopid wedding dress shop people though - it was massive on me!)

I do think that there are different frame sizes, along with different body shapes which are all genetic. No one can look at me & my mum's side of the family and tell me that big b**bs and a tendancy to have a tummy dont run in the family!

And I get the whole "my goodness you can't weigh that much!!" thing too - but remember its YOU you are doing it for, not anyone else.

x

Back