Abolish the Myths - Reading for Newbies

Its all just jelled together in my head, all that information in a nutshell. for all us sw members, thanks Ive got the motivation bug now...

That's really good to hear Claire.

I feel at this point I should say if someone was to write something similar in the other forums about that diet then people from here would have something to say! I think we become defensive if we are on a plan that is working for us and someone tries to tell you its not working when you've dropped two dress size :D

My only goal was to make sure all the SWer are doing the plan correctly and get all SWer's motivated.

If the body does not take in enough calories to function (your body weight in pounds * 12 for men or 11 for women) then it will use muscle protein for energy before it uses the fat stores.

Absolutely not. If you are in ketosis it will take fat first for energy.

I think we become defensive if we are on a plan that is working for us and someone tries to tell you its not working when you've dropped two dress size :D

Well, I'm not on a plan :D Not really being defensive, just defending (not that I need to) why this wont be made a sticky as asked.

Granted but prolonged ketosis isn't very safe or healthy - you should get your energy from glucose at the first instance.

There is no research to say that ketosis is unsafe in the long term. Besides, Atkins folk don't stay in ketosis long term. Once they get to goal, they increase carbs and come out of ketosis.

I've been doing my research on the NHS website so they might have given me misinformation. The first discussion point in my post! How ironic.

I feel slightly like I'm being haven a go at just for trying to motivate SWers, I only wanted to make the page sticky in the SW forum for motivation if nothing else.

I've also just found where I was making this mistake regarding negitive calorie foods. There are over 100 fruit and vegetables that are calorie negitive - I shall edit my original post as not to give misinformation to SWers

I've been doing my research on the NHS website so they might have given me misinformation.

Yes, it's incorrect. I know the page well. It's very old, based on info for diabetics and incorrect. For example

ketogenic diets are never recommended by health professionals for more than short-term use, typically no longer than 14 days

Which is incorrect for a start, as many NHS hospitals keep people on ketogenic diets for longer than 14 days. Besides, NHS follow the NICE guidelines which approves many VLCDs which are ketogenic diets and suggests a 12 week maximum.

So, that page goes against their own guidelines.

I feel slightly like I'm being haven a go at just for trying to motivate SWers,

But your not being got at. You asked me which bit did I consider to be your opinion. As I said earlier, it's only because you would like this to be a sticky, that we need to make sure it's totally correct info....otherwise I'm pretty sure nobody would be having a 'go' as you say.

It would be exactly the same if Akins folk wanted a sticky on the Atkins forum saying SWer were miserable on their diets etc etc.

I agree about the NHS website - have you contacted them? It's not right a major respected company giving out the wrong information like that.

If the Atkins folk wanted to put a sticky thread explaining how and why Atkins works where others had failed and motivate it's members I'd totally be in favour of that! There would be no positive in me going over to that thread and saying, no you're all wrong - come and do Slimming World!

Just to confirm squid, I am a SWer- have been for 14 months now, so please don't think I am being defensive as I have nothing to be defensive about- like you say, if someone on another page made sweeping statements about SW I hope it would get defended, and not just by SWers

I love all the help and support you have shown, and this has really been an interesting debate- I have learnt a lot from everyone. Sometimes we all can agree to disagree, but still have the same goal. We don't all have to think of it in exactly the same way. As long as we step away from the pork pies (unless there is a diet out there that allows them?) then I think we have a common goal

Thanks again xxxx

Thank you cocktailprincess for bringing this back to point. I agree we all have a common goal - to loose weight. Who am I to govern how anyone does that? I have no authority and no right to basically tell someone how to run their life.

I say good luck to everyone who is trying to loose weight - it is one of the hardest things and we should all be applauded :clap:

Good luck everyone!!

I agree about the NHS website - have you contacted them? It's not right a major respected company giving out the wrong information like that.

It is wrong. I agree.

If the Atkins folk wanted to put a sticky thread explaining how and why Atkins works where others had failed and motivate it's members I'd totally be in favour of that!
But we don't allow stickies saying that other named diets are wrong and neither do I think it would be allowed to state that a low fat diet wouldn't work, especially as this is the SW forum, and SW is low fat.

There would be no positive in me going over to that thread and saying, no you're all wrong - come and do Slimming World!
I'm not sure that they have either. The only non swers on this thread that I can see are moderators, because it's our 'job' to decide what becomes a sticky and what doesn't. The discussion is based on that and the fact that you asked me for clarification about what could be your opinion vs fact and we needed to explain why it isn't being stickied.

No other reason.

Now. I'm stepping away from this. I have already said that I think the post was good, and motivational for SWers, and also why this isn't going to be a sticky like you asked.

Now hopefully it can move on.

Great post although I think it's worth mentioning that the reasons for gain/STS are not exhaustive. As a SW veteran I have had more than my share of complications and ruts and I possibly know more than most how easy it can be for a plan that works for you to have an adverse effect. Here are some other reasons for not losing whilst on SW

Wrong plan

The question I find is the most impossible to answer is Which plan can you lose most weight on? There are now 3 plans and while one might work amazingly for one person it may not work at all for another. I don't lose ANY weight on red days and only green days have ever worked for me. Some people experience gains on a green day and lose loads on a red. We are all different and finding the plan that suits you is key. If you are a couple of weeks in and not getting good losses then experiment with the plans and see which produces the results you want

Hormones

It's not a myth, us women do have the added problem of that dreaded time of the month! Some see no effect on their weight while others see a big difference (myself included!). I can easily gain 4-7lb the week/10 days before Aunt Flo is due a visit, this is caused mostly by water retention and a little by PMM (pre menstrual munchies).

Stress

Mustn't forget our good friend Cortisol! When exposed to extreme stress our bodies produce cortisol which can build up around our middle region resulting in a spare tyre effect. Therefore weight gain due to stress cannot be discounted.

Medication

Some medications can cause weight gain for example steroids, some strong pain killers (cocodamol especially!!). Many people often don't consider their regular medication when wondering why they are not losing weight.

As I said, this is not an exhaustive list. Not losing weight is not a simple case of not sticking to plan, there may be many other factors in play that may not have been considered. Insomnia, dehydration, inactivity, all play their part also.

I have been a regular on Minis for a long time and I love the supportive nature of the forum. ALL supportive/motivational posts are more than welcome

Cheers for that Taz, I am in no way a medical or science expert, just a bit of experience in dieting and what I've learn't from people of all walks of lives :) so thank you very much for adding that - I do know that diabetics can suffer a lot of meds add weight and nearly all diabetics will carry their excess weight around their middle.

Thank you very much indeed

Natt xxx

I am not diabetic and don't know a whole lot about diabetes. I do, however, have experience of gains from all of the above. SW is the ONLY plan that has ever worked for me but it's not infallible, I have had gains due to factors other than 'not following the plan correctly' and it's frustrating. I also know that a lot of people will disappear from the forum for periods of time when they are suffering similar circumstances as they feel like a failure and don't want constant advice of 'Go back to day one, follow the plan to the letter' as they already are doing that! Just worth noting that it's not all about the plan

Oh most definately I agree - I wrote this article rather quickly and it wasn't meant to be the definitive guide to weight loss, just when I'd come across the comments 9/10 the reasons were either going off plan and not realising, not doing any exercise at all or not realising about muscle gain. What I will do is edit it to include the various reasons you have given as well as some others I can think of, and I will of course give you credit :)

Many thanks again

Natt xx

Ha ha thanks! I have just observed a lot in my time here and wouldn't want anyone who is struggling for other reasons to read the post and think they are being told that they are not doing it right, some people aren't aware how much other things can interrupt their weight loss

Back