Abusing free foods

Esther Fester

Right... so after trying red for two days and then doing an EE day yesterday, I think I have realised where my problem might be lying - abusing free foods such as pasta, potatoes, rice etc. Now I'm not saying I have been eating all of these all day every day on EE days - but thinking that I might have just not been careful enough when measuring portion sizes.

Therefore I think I will stay on red every day I can from now on (with the exception of when I am eating away from home) - felt SO much more in control of what I was sticking in my gob.

Does anyone else have similar thoughts?

Ps 1lb off this week :eek:

Ooo, well done on your loss! :D I guess with me I've always weighed out pasta and rice etc rather than just chucking it in, so I don't really notice a difference. The one thing I've cut out though is bread, as I never seem to lose any weight when I have a lot of bread. A couple of slices a week is ok for me, but no more :) If you like red days though hun, go for it! :D xx

The one thing I've cut out though is bread, as I never seem to lose any weight when I have a lot of bread.

I don't measure the pasta or rice, but I completely agree with you on the bread.
Whenever I have it, it seems to bloat me, and makes it harder to lose.
I view it as the enemy, and it WILL NOT be entertained (unless it arrives spread liberally with Lurpak :eek:).

Like your hat, by the way :D

I have also cut down on bread but have also cut down on my portions of rice pasta potato etc. Great when eating out.

I started out on EE and moved to red because I recognise my carb dependancy. I get very good losses with red. Congrats on your losses!!!

Personally I eat pasta and or potatoes every single day, without fail. Free means free...using free foods to fill you isn't food abuse, it's SW! lol As above, make sure you get your 1/3 SF and you'll be grand x

I would think there was no problem as long as you religiously stick to the plan of a third superfree on your plate. Having said that I know LOADS of people who swear that their losses on red are much greater than green. I don't get this choice as I'm a veggie - so green it is. In my first 5 weeks I have lost 10lbs so I can't complain as it works out at 2lbs per week - bang on target for me.

It's true that you can abuse food whilst on green, by eating out of boredom, stress, or just because it's there etc.etc. You need to have some self discipline on all the SW plans because just as it's called 'free' foods doesn't mean they're free of calories!

Do a bit of experimenting and find out what works best for you. Good luck! X

This is absolutely true, the laws of thermodynamics don't change just because its SW. If you take in more calories than you burn off you will gain weight even if you are eating 'free' or what is classified as healthy food.

I am, of course, aware of this. However, in the realms of SW 'food abuse' is generally used to describe using foods in a way they aren't really intended to be eaten. Like chickpea / cous cous cake, lasagne crisps, etc. But opting for free / superfree foods to fill you up - even if you are just eating for the hell of it - is the whole reason SW works. Yes, we should all address 'bad' eating habits, and work out how we fell into them...but if you WANT to eat tons of food, and are following SW, then superfree/free foods are what to go for, and you will still lose.

Back