Actifry

Iv got an actifry and i love it! i couldn't live without it now. So easy to use too.

i bought an actifry quite a while back, only made chips in it so far, but, really disapointed in the results every time so far, not sure what i am doing wrong as most people rave about their acyfry. Tried different types of potato, but still not impressed, am i the only one to say this i wonder???

when i do chips i cut up the potato then dry them really well with kitchen towel. i spray the base with frylight, put the chips in and spray them again. I cook them for 30-35mins put spray them again half way through if i think they need it.

bustybarmaid said:
i bought an actifry quite a while back, only made chips in it so far, but, really disapointed in the results every time so far, not sure what i am doing wrong as most people rave about their acyfry. Tried different types of potato, but still not impressed, am i the only one to say this i wonder???

I thought this the first couple of time's I used it but I've sussed it now. What I do is par boil the chips using quite a bit of salt in the water for 10 mins then drain and leave to cool for 10 mins. I the cook them using the olive oil spray which is 1 syn for 7 squirts. I cook them for 35 mins giving them a shake an another 7 squirts half way through. I have a family size machine so do loads of chips, if ur doing a smaller batch maybe just the 7 squirts. Anyway that's it, perfect chips :)

Just wash the chips and dry them really well in a clean tea towel and then cook them. I always use olive oil and just syn it, you really don't need much at all but it makes all the difference. They are ok with frylight, better than in the over but it is totally worth using the oil!

Yes I agree, I bought one and tried it for the first time on Sunday, and it really made fab chips. Since making chips for 6 people 1 tbsp of olive oil is only a small amount of syns and it made them delis. I think the key is to wash them well to get the starch out and then dry them really well, I also cut mine quite fine as thats how I like them. Thoroughly recommended and much better than trying to make them yourself in an oven tray etc as they always stick, cook unevenly, etc etc. Really looking forward to trying some other things in there as well!!

thanks for your replies everybody, have tried again and gave them a bit of a soak in water and then drained and dried them, then cooked using oil rather than frylight, and yes, got a better result this time around!

Ohh that's a bargin isn't it?!
My crisis came good in the end. I phoned tefal up and when I turned the machine upside down to give them the serial number from the bottom of it realised that the 3 prong plug that goes into it had worked loose! Obviously blamed my hubby and got off the phone sharpish! Lol
I definately recommend that u buy some filippo berio olive oil spray, it does chips sooo much nicer, I think it's 1 syn for 7 sprays.

OK ta, I'll keep my eyes open for that.
Just made my 1st batch - bit crispy for me, used normal virgin olive 1/2 measure basis weight of chips & cooked for 30mins.
I'll try cutting them thicker next time (shame as I used the biggest width on my V-slicer) so will have to do them by hand

Just need to search the recipe threads for other stuff to try

Result that yours was the plug - saved you a fortune.....you can treat yourself now!!

Make sure u pat dry your pots first, stops them going too crispy. Did u get a recipe book with yours? There's absolutely loads of things :)

charleeds said:
Make sure u pat dry your pots first, stops them going too crispy. Did u get a recipe book with yours? There's absolutely loads of things :)

I actually followed the booklet, wash, dry, dry again but maybe the size was wrong, tonight I did sauté potatoes and just drained them well, they were nice, cooked, flavoured, good texture, but not too crispy - dunno if it's the size or the moisture, will try again in a few days.
Yep, there was a recipe USB in there, not looked at it yet, so, fingers crossed there's loads if tasty ideas

Debridger said:
I actually followed the booklet, wash, dry, dry again but maybe the size was wrong, tonight I did sauté potatoes and just drained them well, they were nice, cooked, flavoured, good texture, but not too crispy - dunno if it's the size or the moisture, will try again in a few days.
Yep, there was a recipe USB in there, not looked at it yet, so, fingers crossed there's loads if tasty ideas

Practise makes perfect :)

Back