Advice/help with buffet food for a christening

big bear

A bear on a mission!
I've asked before with regards to this but this is what my idea is. Please let me know what you think & any other ideas.

It's a christening party 30 adults & 10 kids (2-5 years old) between 12-3pm. It's in a church hall so I've a very tiny kitchen although I don't really want me or someone stuck in there doing the food Also the christening is at 10.30am so not much time in the morning to do anything. The family are going out for a pub dinner afterwards.

This is what we've thought of

Salad: lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion.
Rice salad
Pasta Salad
Potato Salad
Coleslaw
Boiled eggs
A large boiled gammon (sliced)
1 large quiche
French sticks/bread rolls

This can be all made the day before & just laid out in platters/bowls. This means no cooking & probably easier. It's the 1st May so hoping that the weather is nice.

We will be providing drinks so do you think 6 bottles of wine, 1 case lager & 1 case of guinness is enough? Where could I get these for a good price?

Do you think this is enough? Any other easy/quick ideas that can be done the day before?

My family are coming from Ireland on the Saturday so I'd actually like to spend some time with them rather than cooking all day.

Hey. My ex's mother was the queen of doing party food. She used to always do rice salad, potato salad, coleslaw, cold sandwiches (ham, egg, cheese & onion), cold sausages, quiche, chicken legs, cold pizza, oatcakes with philly spread, bhajis, crackers and cheese. Always went down well, and most can be done ahead of time and simply shipped in. And most of it can be eaten afterwards too by fridge pickers :)

As for drinks, that sounds more than enough to me, as I presume some will be driving, so not drinking much, if anything at all. Is a case of Guinness needed? Are there confirmed Guinness drinkers coming? If not, you might be better off getting just a few. In terms of cost, I always find Bargain Booze cheaper than the supermarket, and there is usually a better choice, and often offers on.

Some really nice and slightly different things on here......

Buffet and Finger Food Recipes and Dinner Party Ideas

Easy Finger Food | Easy Party Appetizers

I do all of the things already mentioned but also do a large bowl of coronation chicken for those that enjoy something a little bit spicy.

A pasta salad made with cherry tomatoes, black olives, spring onion and a sauce made by mixing pesto and philly light and mayo is a super one as well.

Undercooked asparagus cut into smallish pieces and mixed with diced avocado dressed with a light oil, lemon juice and mustard dressing.

A bowl of sliced crab sticks, mixed with small pieces of smoked salmon and prawns in a rich mayo and salsa rosa dressing.

A salad of crisp lettuce, cucumber, onion, crispy crumbled bacon and fried chicken livers.

I have loads more that I do if you want them BB.

hugs xxxx

p.s. where's my invite as honourary granny lol.

Thanks so much ladies, all sorted.

Sue of course Granny will be there, send yo lots of pics XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thanks so much ladies, all sorted.

Sue of course Granny will be there, send yo lots of pics XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Granny Sue says a big Fankyou !!!

Back