advice needed

HALLORAN

Hi ALL,
I AM IN NEED OF ADVICE,AT PRESENT I AM VERY MUCH OVER WEIGHT AND NEED TO LOSE@5STONE. I HAVE INTHE PAST DONE WEIGHTWATCHERS AND SLIMMING WORLD, HAVIN MOST SUCCESS WITH WEIGHTWATCHERS. HOWEVER MY 7 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER HAS PUT A FAIR BIT OF WEIGHT ON AND I HAVE DECIDED THAT NOW IS THE TIME TO NIP IT IN THE BUTT AND TRY TO RE-EDUCATE HER INTO GOOD EATIN HABBITS AND UNDERSTAND FOOD A LITTLE MORE. COZ OF THIS I CANNOT DECIDE WHETHER TO JOIN WEIGHTWATCHERS OR SLIMMING WORLD, WHICH DO YOU THINK WILL HELP MY DAUGHTER THE MOST, DON T REALLY WANT TO GO TO A CLUB GET WEIGHED AND GO,I WANT HER TO UNDERSTAND THE CONSEQUENCES OF OVER EATING AND THE HEALTH EFFECTS LONG TERM. I KNOW THAT MY DAUGHTER WON'T BE ABLE TO JOIN BUT JUST ACCOMPANY ME. I KNOW THIS IS THE WEIGHTWATCHERS AREA AND I AM ASKING ABOUT SLIMMING WORLD TO BUT WAS UNSURE WHERE TO POST IT?
THANKS IN ADVANCE
SORI FOR THE WAFFLE

ELAINE XX

Hi Elaine. If you have found you have success with WW then maybe that's the best way for you. I wouldn't necessarily recommend any sort of 'diet' for your daughter though - I would worry that she is too young to start getting into that sort of mindset.

I was a very (very!) fat child - I was wearing adult's clothes at the age of 10 and have carried an unhealthy obsession with food into adulthood and now I'm in my 40s still am four stones overweight and have been seven stones overweight at my biggest.

My understanding is that the doctors advice for overweight children is not necessarily for them to lose weight at all but rather to maintain their weight and 'grow into it' as it were. They advise to get active with your children and to help them make simple lifestyle changes like having an apple for a treat (or try frozen grapes, they are lovely!) instead of sweets. As you change your eating habits and start to have healthy food around instead of processed food, your kids will of course, learn from this example.

Very best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

My daughter does not have a sweet tooth at all and eats a well balanced diet,but it is the amount that she eats, she thinks she is always hungry, when i know she is not. I want her to get involved in my diet plan and understand why it is important to not over eat and what happens if you do. Our local health centre reccommend that she lose weight and are actually running programmes especially for overweight kids that teaches them about food and hidden fats etc, which was what i wanted her to do but the programme was booked up already in our area, which is quite frightening.
Think i will check over both programmes again and get advice from our health visitor.

thanks for your advice

My daughter does not have a sweet tooth at all and eats a well balanced diet,but it is the amount that she eats, she thinks she is always hungry, when i know she is not. I want her to get involved in my diet plan and understand why it is important to not over eat and what happens if you do. Our local health centre reccommend that she lose weight and are actually running programmes especially for overweight kids that teaches them about food and hidden fats etc, which was what i wanted her to do but the programme was booked up already in our area, which is quite frightening.
Think i will check over both programmes again and get advice from our health visitor.

thanks for your advice

What a shame the course was booked up. I've heard they are really good at informing children in an empowering way rather than just telling them what they should be eating & are fun to attend as well. I hope you find something soon that meets both your needs :)

Its so tough with young girls. My daughter is 9, and totally gorgeous. However, the poor kid has all my tendencies to gain weight & love the "wrong" foods. My DH (Daddy) is very fit, weight trains regularly & eats a balanced diet. Our son also is of normal weight and size,at 14.

I am so worried she will end up with my issues and my misery; at my heaviest I was almost 21 stone at 5'4". I am also very worried that if I push too hard I will send her either to secret binging (I did this as a child but I still havent worked out why. I used to buy family size bags of crisps, chocolate etc etc, eat them & hide the wrappers. Still do infact, but now I also throw up the stuff, as well) I so dont want any of this for her.

I beg you, please please be careful how you approach this with your daughter. Their young minds are so easily upset and damaged and I am certain the last thing you want is to casue her any harm by advising healthy eating.

So sorry for the diatribe, but it comes from the heart and is well inteded, honest!

Good Luck!!
xx

Back