Advice please

Gemha

Hi, I'm on week 2 - second weigh in tomorrow (not looking forward to this, despite being 100% I don't feel as if I have lost anything) but I have an evening wedding reception to go to tomorrow. What did you do at occasions like this and what did you say to friends/family if they invited you out for a meal - really struggling with not going out for meals.

Thank you

Hi Gemha, funnily enough i've just had a very long conversation with my mother-in-law who rang to invite us out for dinner at the weekend....I explained that I wasn't eating because I needed to lost a serious amount of weight prior to my surgery in November and then proceeded to get a lecture as to how that would mean that I was too weak to face the op, how bad this diet was and the icing on the cake "but you can just have a salad"! Whilst resisting then urge to scream I patiently explained that I'd lost 8lbs this week which, if I had been following a conventional diet, ie WW! Would probably have taken me a month and by which time I might well have given up! Eventually I think that she understood that I have to do this and a diet of salads just won't cut the mustard!

My tip is avoid eating out at if at all possible but, having done LT back in 1997 and having lost about 49lbs, I know that's not possible so explain what you're trying to do and why and if your family and friends love you and want what's best for you they'll understand. If you can go along and just drink water then good for you, but if not, just don't go!

Is the wedding reception a sit-down meal or a finger buffet? If the latter and your resolve is good then you should be ok, can you find someone to keep you on the dancefloor? Weddings are guaranteed to have 100% cheesy music that you can dance to and maybe use a few extra calories too?

Good luck, let us know how you get on...

Hi Gemha, I have had so many family Birthday's etc these last weeks its unreal but Ive had my shake before I go and while others are eating I offered to take some photos etc and nip to the bar for people. Often the eating doesnt take up much of the evening. My family and friends are supportive and havent passed comments and now they are so used to me not eating it hasnt been an issue. All these problems seem to settled down with time xx

One "excuse" you could use is that you have an upset tummy and are restricting your intake to settle your tummy down - sticking to water etc. Its hard but you have to remember what you want the most - some food or a nice slimmer body in a few months. However if you feel compelled to eat then stick to protein ie chicken without the sking and you should not come out of ketosis. Not the most ideal situation but it might appease some of those telling you to have something to eat.

Thank you for the advice, some family know I'm on a 'diet' again but I've not gone into the details and will have the arguement that it's no good for you/once you start eating it will all just go back on anyway.

Sandra it's a hot buffet and hopefully I won't be too self consious to dance, I usually drink so this will be another new experiance of being sober!

I am determined to do this!!!!!!

Good luck Gem - you can do it, don't let people drive you off the deep end. I went to a wedding recently (just the evening do though) and no-one noticed i wasn't eating or drinking. Get something fab to wear and you'll feel so great and get tons of compliments that will make you feel much better

Go for it babes! And don't be self-conscious about dancing, everyone else will be pi88ed and won't notice what you're doing!

good luck gemma, you can do it. think of your weigh in and think of how much closer you will be to your goal
here are some ideas which might help once the food comes out at the party;
go to the loo and fix your make -up.
offer to go to the bar
mix with lots of different groups of people and keep moving around so no one notices your not eating. You can just say "oh i had some thanks"
keep a glass of water in your hand so you don't fidget

best of luck, and remember this is for you. let us know how you get on xxx

Well, I've had my weigh in and have lost 6.5lbs, so that's 10 .5 in 2 weeks, that has really made my mind up - I am not going to eat!!

Thank you for your lovely comments, Littleme thats a fab idea about chatting at different tables. Bring on the evening reception!

Well done on the loss today, thats just amazing. And i think that is all the motivation you need to stop you eating at the reception tonight isn't it. Have fun watching everyone else getting totally bladdered and making fools of themselves hehehe.

hugs x

Just been to a funeral and the food was totally amazing....but I got a glass of water and went around the house introducing myself to people and didn't eat a single morsel. My OH was well impressed cos he said that it was delicious but I just kept telling myself that I had no good reason to eat it other than I was upset....

Oh and wear very restrictive underwear under your frock, mine didn't leave any room for so much as a sausage roll! There weren't any sausage rolls BTW is was all lobster, crab claws and a massive bowl of caviar and my favourite pink champagne. Glad that I'm home now and safely out of temptation!

OMG Sandra, you deserve a medal Go girl, so proud of you x :winner:

Gemha congrats on your weight loss, brilliant xx

thanks little-me, I'm quite proud of myself too, the crap day didn't stop there though, I smashed the back windscreen of my convertible on the way out and it's going to cost nearly £2,000 to fix as it has to have a whole new bl88dy roof.....if ever there was a time that I needed a vodka and a tube of pringles.......at least I can get the hug when OH comes home!:sigh:

Well done on your fabulous weigh in result this week Gemha! That's fantastic :) xx

Evening reception went well - not one piece of food/slurp of alcohol passed my mouth. It was hard, very hard especially once I saw the types of food on the hot buffet but I did it!!

Sandra - ouch about the car and well done regarding food at the funeral. Possibly too much info but was unable to wear any underwear due to the material of the dress and vpl!!!

Kezzerbelle, little me - thank you

well done for staying on track!!!! :D

Gemha, WELL DONE! That is fantastic work not eating at your evening. Once the first is out the way you know you can do it. I do prefer to skip social stuff tbh but will go to stuff I have to. Can't wait to get to goal its going to be so much fun being at an event and looking slim and being able to have a few drinks and nibbles too. xx

Gemha well done girl, here's a trophy for you lol :winner:

Sandra B; I'm really sorry to hear about your car. hope you can get it fixed soon so you can forget about the accident

Back