After some advice pls

Hi everyone, Just wondered if someone could give me some advice please?

I am currently taking Xenical with low fat diet and am also watching my cals and doing exercise but I`m not being very successful on it :(

I tried it last yr and again, Wasn`t doing very well so I tried LT and lost 17lbs in 4 weeks but although I could cope with not eating my body couldn`t and I had to come off it. Sadly I gained the weight I lost back which was from generally eating again not cos I gorged or ate badly. I think I must not have done refeeding properly :( I have managed to lose it again though with healthy eating and exercising but have stopped losing again, despite the Xenical :(

I have an underactive Thyroid and PCOS so I really struggle to lose weight. I am brilliant at maintaining, But obviously, I don`t want to be maintaining my current weight :(

My questions are - Firstly, Is CD Gluten/Wheat free? As I have to avoid eating wheat. And can I eat 1 meal on CD as my body just cannot cope with total abstinence from food and I don`t want a repeat of the side effects I got on LT :/

My last question is do you have to have the counselling part of the diet? (I *think* CD has counselling?) as I don`t have any food issues, I am just struggling to lose the weight I already have.

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me. I am also going to post on the Lighter Life forum as I think with Lite you can have 1 meal so I am looking at both diets as a possibility if I haven`t lost a decent amount of weight by the time I go to see my Dr next month. I would like as much info as possible so that I can discuss it with her if needs be.

Thanks in advance for any advice, Hope everyone is having a great weekend,

LiSe Xx

You can add a meal with ss+ on Cambridge and you don't need to have counselling, the consultants will weigh you and supply your packs, but nothing else if that is what you wish. LL has to include the group sessions, hence it is pricier.

I am doing w8, a similar plan to the others, but I order my packs online. It also has a regular plan where you have four packs and add a meal from a list of protein and veg each day. I chose this diet as I was on 3 packs with CD and found it really hard. W8 also do mealpacks instead of the shakes, a porridge, curry noodles, spag bol and soon a cottage pie. This also suited me as although the CD bars were lovely, I don't really have a sweet tooth or like soup.

I loved both CD and w8, and it sounds like either could suit you, good luck with your decision. :)

Thanks for the reply x

I don`t mind only havin 3 "meals" a day. My body just can`t cope without solid food going through it :/

W8 sounds good as does CD if I can eat 1 meal on the plan :D Do you know how much both are? Also, Do you know if they`re wheat/gluten free?

I hope your diet is going well for you!

LiSe Xx

I'm on the Cambridge Diet and I also have to be gluten free - there are many options! All of the shakes and bars are gluten free, and two of the soups (Leek and Potato - my favourite, and Spicy Tomato).
http://www.cambridgeweightplan.com/userfiles/file/nutrional_information.pdf

The nutitional info for the packs is in the link above - if gluten isn't mentioned in the allergens box, then it should be fine for you.

Sole Source Plus will allow you to have a meal a day, plus 3 packs. The meal is basically a white protein and some green veg, which is naturally gluten free.

The 810 plan is similar to Sole Source Plus, but you're allowed a bit more in your meal. Again, all the options are gluten free. Here are the options for this plan:
http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-d...n/142380-810-options-updated-21-3-2010-a.html

Hope this helps, and good luck deciding!

Hi - I think Tulip has pretty much answered everything for you so I haven't really got anything to add to that.

All I would say is that I am also hypo-thyroid and was undiagnosed last time I did CD - I actually felt a whole load better on it than normal! I'm being a little bit more wary with it this time though - I'm doing something between SS+ and 810 with a high protein meal but also having milk in my tea and keeping veg amounts low but not just having the veg on the list and possibly eating a few spoonfuls more than I should.

What you should do though is get your thyroid levels checked pretty soon after starting it. My thyroid problem is caused by low T3 and my endo consultant is more than happy for me to do Cambridge and actually recommended it if I wanted to but did warn me that very low calorie diets can supress your T3 level further so you may have symptoms come back and may need medication changes to deal with that. In my case I've only been on meds for about 4 months and they are still trying to get my levels right so I'm being tested regularly anyway but if you are on say 6 month checks by now you should increase these while yo uare doing the diet.

Good luck and I hope you find the right plan for you.

Thankyou both of you for the helpful advice x

It certainly sounds like a possibility for me :D Can I ask how much it costs a week pls?

Mifford, Thanks for the info re underactive thyroid. I didn`t know any of this and it wasn`t mentioned when I did LT :/ Though I must say that was the lady I saw for LT as I didn`t consult my Dr when I tried it as I asked the (horrible) stand in Dr I saw who claimed to have never heard of it and wasn`t helpful at all.

I was dx when I was 17 - 28 yrs ago :eek: but my levels are never controlled for some reason. I`m currently on 200mg a day and had a check a week ago and am due to phone for my results this afternoon. I`m often tempted to take more to see if it would help with my weightloss but obviously I`m not daft eough to actually do it. I just get so down with putting so much effort into losing weight and getting nowhere :(

Anyway, I`ll shut up whinging - Sorry!!

Thanks again to you all, Hope your diets are going well :D

LiSe Xxx

I SO get the getting fed up with the putting so much effort into weight loss and not normally seeing the results - I had a total rant about my thyroid this morning when the scales had gone up again despite sticking to Cambridge all day yesterday lol

I was never told about the very low caloried diets causing a T3 suppression but it was from research I did online to find out why my T3 was so low and one of the things that can cause it was basically starvation. When I checked it with my GP she confirmed it to be the case.

Oddly my first blood check since starting meds showed that they started me too high and I've overshot into the results being hyper - the one symptom I didn't get was weight loss. Typical! hahaha I did feel awful the last few weeks being over as well so I wouldn't recommend it.

You may find with Cambridge that if you have a pre-existing medical condition you will need a medical form signed by your GP so it would be a good idea to discuss it with them anyway.

Good luck and I'm really excited for you knowing how you will feel when you see the weight finally coming off.

Back