After weigh in with a big group

Brightonrosie

I want to be fitter again
Our consultant has recently increased the numbers in group which means far less time after weigh in and individual losses and gains announced. This week our image therapy consisited of her asking us how much 28 gms of cereal looks like. That was it Nothing else. Last week she told us how much you could eat instead of pie and chips. Again that was it. A) I weigh my cereal and B) I don't eat pie and chips. Is this normal image therapy in a big group. I am getting so disillusioned with the lack of support. She congratulated a young girl this week for losing 6 lbs . . she had been ill with D & V !!
What support should I be expecting now there over 20 of us ?

You need the WI to go a bit quicker or she needs to start weighing earlier hun. Our group has recently grown and I have to whizz through the weighing with no time for chat in between people. We start WI at 5.30 and IT starts at 6 or a minute or two afterwards and goes on until 6.45 to 7pm.

If anyone turns up after 6pm they don't get weighed until the end of the group, this way we all get proper IT (which is what we pay for after all)

We get about 25-30 people staying to group at least.

How long is spent on the WI Rosie?

Theres probably about 15-20 people all stay for image therapy in our group too but our consultant still manages to get round everyone and have a chat with them.

Dont get me wrong, i can be there for 2 hours but i enjoy it :)

She normally starts weigh ins about 6.30, starts image therapy about 7.15-7.30 and then we can be there till 8.15/8.20 for IT, all depends how chatty she is (which is normally VERY chatty) :)

Thats exactly the same reason why I don't go to a class anymore. Don't get me wrong, the consultant was fabulous but there must have been 40+ staying after getting weighed and there was just not enough time for quality image therapy. And if someone was struggling and spent more time discussing their problems then it was even less time for everyone else.
Personally I feel she should split the group and have 2 meets ie. maybe 1 at 6pm and 1 at 7.30pm and I guess it would even out naturally. I for one would choose the earlier group so I could get home earlier and eat!!! lol ;)
I think its a bit 'greedy' to push so many into one class....more money for the consultant and only one session to attend (and before I get shot down, I know they have a lot of organising prior to a class aswell) but I do feel when a class gets too big its time to split it.

We have about 35 people in our class, but we still get time to do the image therapy. I think my C explains quite quickly the plan and then has the newbies stay afterwards if they still have any issues. She also always phones them on the first week to catch up and see if they have any further questions.
Normally our image therapy consists of a small talk (last one was about how EE works and 3 sample meals) and then she goes through everyone's WI info. Group starts at 7 and finishes around 8:45.

How can she split the class? My consultant has 2 groups and there are hardly any people who go to the later group. I'm sure if people in my group were told to go the the later one they would be pretty grumpy!

How can she split the class? My consultant has 2 groups and there are hardly any people who go to the later group. I'm sure if people in my group were told to go the the later one they would be pretty grumpy!

I didn't mean split the class and be told which one to go to! I said I think it would maybe even out naturally....and I'm sure she would end up with more people as I for one would return and I know a couple of my friends would too!

Where I used to live, the group I attended then had an early and a later group....it worked then and I'm sure there are others that do that too.

Its all about quality, not quantity and as I am paying...I want quality!!!

I still don't think there would be that many for a later group - our split is something like 50 odd for the early group and a dozen for the later group.

I doubt whether there are limits on group numbers, my C is always on about "growing the group". Shame for those of us who like it small and familiar but hey ho.

Totally agree with this, Im only 2 weeks in and both weeks there has been a least 30 people who stay after WI... My C struggled to get round everybody the first week, and this week we had a syn free buffet instead of IT!! I had eaten already and so just sat there waiting for class, it never started! I was thinking "forget the food, can we just do IT!!".

I still don't think there would be that many for a later group - our split is something like 50 odd for the early group and a dozen for the later group.

I doubt whether there are limits on group numbers, my C is always on about "growing the group". Shame for those of us who like it small and familiar but hey ho.

Well it worked at a previous group I attended as I said....I don't think its as clear cut as 'it won't work' or 'it will work...it just depends on the people and their requirements, how many people attend etc! The group I am talking about is very large and I don't get anything from it because there is just no time....although I cannot praise the C enough, she is lovely but clearly doesn't have time for everyone. And for some people, a bit of time and encouragment is what they need and more importantly what they go to class for!

No there probably aren't limits on groups, its common sense really though isn't, too many people equals too little IT?
And, I'm not saying I particularly like a small and cosy group.....but striking a balance is necessary I feel.

I agree Lentil2 my class is at 7pm and it's near 9pm when we are leaving - which is another reason why I don't stay. I'm changing to one which has a 5pm and a 6.30 which means I should just make it on my way home from work but if I get stuck in traffic or something could go home and go to the later one. The flexibility is important to me and presumably it's working for the C too.

The bigger groups can be difficult. Our group last night was over 20, and the consultant only really talked about the members who had won awards - didn't go through all the individual weight losses, and this seems to happen most weeks.

It does mean he can devote more time to general IT, though, for example last night concentrating on what motivates you and setting motivational targets (e.g. weddings, health etc).

Our class has about 70 come through each week and 30-40 stay each week - we usually do image therapy, but are moving to the computer system and had a taster night last night so we all talked about that!!!

I think image therapy is important, and i know the newbies will start to stop coming soon lol!!! :) last night she just had chance to give out the awards!!!

starts about 6 and is over by 7:30 most weeks though! x

Our class has about 70 come through each week and 30-40 stay each week - we usually do image therapy, but are moving to the computer system and had a taster night last night so we all talked about that!!!

I think image therapy is important, and i know the newbies will start to stop coming soon lol!!! :) last night she just had chance to give out the awards!!!

starts about 6 and is over by 7:30 most weeks though! x

The consultant mentioned a computerised system last night and asked everyone their height :confused:

No more was mentioned, other than it will be in place in 3 or 4 weeks time, and I didn;t get a chance to ask about it.

Do you know anything more about how it will work?

hi, my group is already using this computerised system, everything is stored on a credit card type thing which has a chip and u take the card with you every week and everythin gets updated on the card!!
must say it is quicker, the computer works out awards, sotw, sotm etc etc.
xx

hi, my group is already using this computerised system, everything is stored on a credit card type thing which has a chip and u take the card with you every week and everythin gets updated on the card!!
must say it is quicker, the computer works out awards, sotw, sotm etc etc.
xx

Wow, high tech! Sound good :)

I feel quite let down by IT aswell... in our group we head everyones loses and gains......... even those who never stay to the group and none of us regular stayers know ......... if someone is having a difficult time then she might ask if anyone has ideas on how to help them, occasionally she will tell us what is on offer on a particular supermarket .i.e. mug shots at Morrisons for £........ but we never have what I would call real image therapy - no ideas on how to improve how we feel out aboutselves, our weight gains and losses, perhaps ideas on how to keep going long term etc....... I stay because I enjoy the chit chat with the other ladies and it helps me stay focused. Don't get me wrong my Sw consultant is really lovely but I think we should get more help along the way

I have stayed to IT only a few times for this exact reason. There is at least 40+ members who stay for the image therapy session and as weigh-in is at 7pm it means that its 7.30pm at least before we sit down. You dont get out until 9 - 9.30pm which is far to late for me as im normally tired, hungry and want to see my partner having not seen him all day. My consultant always reads everyones losses and has individual chats with every member and though its useful, by the time she has got to the tenth person im starting to get agitated. Its a shame cause I know im not the only person who would love to stay but because of how long it goes on for doesnt.

In terms of value for money, I s'pose I have the choice to stay or not and for the time being im alright with paying £4.95 to get weighed, have a quick 2 min chat with my consultant and have access to all the books, recipes, hi-fi bars etc. I have also noticed that a lot of what is covered in IT I get from here anyway so im not too bothered either way. :)

Back