Air Fresheners

Gene Genie

Mad as cheese
Ok random topic but I work in an office and we have a couple of new starters who are a bit smelly

I have a bit of a thing about me smelling (like if im sat next to someone on the bus and they smell I have to get off just so I know its them not me then when i get it in have to wash like mad) but every time they walk past my brain cant help but think its me and its starting to get worse, I know its not me and am being sorted out for my OCD but im ploughing through tonnes of deodrant and perfume just because its the only way I can cope with it in my head

thing is we cant use spray air fresheners and we cant use plug in air fresheners because of fire reg's and because they are here on a programme for people with learning disabiities I cant really ask the line manager to broach the subject with them without it possibly causing problems so my question is

I need not too obvious but good air fresheners for around my desk things i could say hide , can anyone make any suggestions. for the sake of my sanity more than anything

Gene Genie said:
Ok random topic but I work in an office and we have a couple of new starters who are a bit smelly

I have a bit of a thing about me smelling (like if im sat next to someone on the bus and they smell I have to get off just so I know its them not me then when i get it in have to wash like mad) but every time they walk past my brain cant help but think its me and its starting to get worse, I know its not me and am being sorted out for my OCD but im ploughing through tonnes of deodrant and perfume just because its the only way I can cope with it in my head

thing is we cant use spray air fresheners and we cant use plug in air fresheners because of fire reg's and because they are here on a programme for people with learning disabiities I cant really ask the line manager to broach the subject with them without it possibly causing problems so my question is

I need not too obvious but good air fresheners for around my desk things i could say hide , can anyone make any suggestions. for the sake of my sanity more than anything

I've resisted saying this but as a Support worker with the learning disabled I feel strongly, so I'll say how I see it.

You say that you can't help how you are, well neither can they.
They may not have the awareness that you do over personal hygiene but they do have feelings, so you surrounding yourself with air fresheners is rude! They are not stupid and I'm assuming only moderately Learning Disabled going by the work placement.
I think you need to be aware of their feelings, and also your co-workers, I know that air fresheners give me headaches.
I'm sorry you have a mental illness, but I'm saddened by your attitude.
Perhaps the best thing to do is wear Vicks under your nose as I believe morticians do.

It is a sad thread but the OP does seem to suffer with a significant issue themself, and does show some level of understanding and tolerance, just wants to be able to deal with their own needs and compulsions in an unobtrusive manner.

You might want to try one of.the neutradol block air fresheners OP, they are in a little white tub and don't make a terribly obvious smell themselves but do neutralise other smells. No need to plug in or spray and should deal with your issue effectively and without offending anyone.
Hope that helps.

Back