Akri's Diary. LT started 20.03.2012

Akri

Hey fellow LT'ers.
I wanna start off by quickly adding that this first entry does contain some food mentionings, so if you'd rather not read that, feel free to skip away, otherwise, I warned you ;)

I guess I'm a little late to the party in terms of starting one of these as I'm actually on week 2-day10.

My first week last week was simultaneously ok and the longest week ever; not so much because I was hungry or owt, but because I think I was so looking forward to it being over, that whole 'first week hurdle'. It was so hectic at the same time that I thought it would become easier, like a noise in the background, but it sort of added to the general craves etc. Firstly, I was offered an interview for a company in the UK, very late notice and had to be in the UK by friday for it. I flew over Friday morning, had the interview in the afternoon and spent the rest of friday, saturday and sunday morning with my OH who lives over there, and even though I heard on Monday that I did not get the job (apparently because I was 'too over qualified' and they didn't think there would be enough to keep me with the company long term. Errr, how about the prospect of having a permanant, well paid job? That ought to have done it! But nevermind...)
Anywaaaay....
The first week went by fine with only one diversion of half a plain dorito chip lol. Literally half. I blame it on early morning madness.
Then this tuesday gone I had my first weigh in and managed a superb 10lb loss. Which I was thrilled about as it took me to 286. The first time I've been below that annoying 10lb bracket of 290 for well over a year.

Now comes the madness, and like I say, i wouldn't hold it against you if you walked away by this point.
That evening I made the decision (yes, decision, i did think about it carefully) of going down to my fav chippy and getting Chips'n'cheese, a battered sausage and garlic mayo, a meal I had previously very much enjoyed.
Now let me tell you WHY I did this, because believe me, if you will, that this was pre-meditated and not just because I was peckish.
I wanted to see if I really wanted it, if the taste appealed to me (my palate is really persuasive, it cleanses very easy) and more importantly, if the craving for it was real based on taste or if it was a phantom type of thing. I also wanted to see how it felt to break from LT. I know this sounds like madness, but my logic to that last part was that I wanted to know badly if I could do it and just go, 'ah well, back on the horse', or if I would really beat myself up about it, thereby having the result that going forward i would remember EXACTLY how it felt to mess up and how bad it felt and not want to do it again.
You still with me?

Well guys, I'm happy to say that though the means were not ideal, the result was. I ate the chippy and felt nothing; no satisfaction, no feeling of 'ahhhh, thats better'. What I did feel was how much of a waste it was. The taste was nothing extrodinary like the memory of it was, I couldn't finish it all and I felt bloated, greasy and most important, GUILTY. It was a satisfied kind of guilt because it meant that actually, I don't want that stuff anymore, the taste is nothing special, it certainly doesn't give me any worthwhile nutrients and it, in short, simply wasn't worth it.
In fact, an hour after eating I could think of nothing better than going back to my faithful shakes and the power of control that they give me.
So all in all, I'm glad I did the 'experiment' but now I know. I'm a very logical kind of person, most times and for me to have that knowledge, that experience arms me better for the future whenever I feel myself losing grip.
I've stopped looking forward to food and the ritual I had with it.
Here comes the soppy bit I'm afraid.

For as long as I can remember I've been big but equally ashamed, something I don't think any kid should have any knowledge of until much older. I learned shame around the same time I learned how to spell my name.
I learned to associate food and eating with these feelings and from an age where i could get away with it I began to eat in secretly, never eating at school etc but instead saving my food until I could go home and be alone. I guess because I reasoned if no one ever saw me eat then they would be able to look past my size because they never saw the cause of it.
I became obsessive and in time this turned towards ritualistic eating. Never eating breakfast because it meant the rest of the day people would be able to see the food on me, always eating at certain times, never eating and traveling, always smoking before eating to let the food cool and then again after eating to get the taste from my mouth like it never happened, preparing food in a certain way and then deconstructing the plate (with toast, I lick all the butter from around the sides, then nibbled off the crust right side onwards, each side no more than 3 bites-i got really upset when given larger slices-, then prying off the butter side with my nails so I had 1 butter side, one under-crust, which I ate first, then I would fold over the butter side twice and eat, then the 2nd slice would be the same except I roll the butter side up.) Every kind of food had something like this and food I didn't have a ritual for would be avoided at all costs. Meaning I've basically lived off 10 different kinds of meals for 15years at least. Until of course in 2008 when I stopped eating altogether and developed an eating disorder that put me in hospital.
Believe me, it goes on and on.

Anyway, I say none of the above for dramatic effect, only because I need to have it out there for me to read back on from time to time. If I were reading that from someone else, I imagine my reaction would be 'god, what a freak!', and thats kinda the point, because in a nutshell thats exactly what I am with food.

What LT is doing for me is a twofer as far as I'm concerned; not only is it helping me lose the weight that makes me so miserable, it is helping me break a repetitive cycle of love-hate, destruction and an overall disgustingly unhealthy relationship with food.
I've known this for years, of course, but never before have I been able to go through a day without thinking of my next 'fix', which is what the ritual was for me. Now, i can get up, go about my day knowing i dont need to plan it around food. I can look at food objectively and see it as fuel. A seductive fuel, but one that I can take or leave; but when the results are so obvious, why would I take it? It makes no sense to the logical side of me and thus it must be discarded.

And so, fellow LT'ers, now you know what kind of freak you have amongst you, but isn't it better to be honest with you and myself?

I promise, my following posts will NOT be so gruelling, or so much of an essay. It feels good to get that off my chest.

I have to say, reading that back just now made me quite emotional. I dont think the full extent of my 'food-crazy' comes across as dramatically as I can see it in my head because the above is only a snap shot. I've had to live through it. I can see exactly what I've done to myself over the years and I so desperately wish that what I've done to myself started and ended with food madness, but it doesn't. I remember it all and lest i forget, there's physical evidence of it on my body.
God, who knew that this wasn't just about losing weight?
I'll always remember, but i'll never let it happen again.

I promise, i'm usually very happy clappy, but i guess we all get a little bit intro-spective at times.

Hello Akri, wow! I admire your honesty and bravery sharing all that with us. I really hope you get all you are hoping for from this diet. You are amongst friends, remember that.x

How you doing Akri?

Hey guys and gals! It feels forever since i last posted here, which i guess in LT land it has been!
Two days after my second weeks weigh in (4lbs gone) i unfortunatly got a bad call from my sister who lives in the UK. Turns out her wife of 3months had finally done what the rest of us knew she'd do which is to do a runner.
My sis was in such a bad state that i pretty much immediatly flew over to be with her, which is where ive been for the past couple of weeks. She's doing better now and has worked her way into the 'anger' stage, so hopefully she'll be ok soon.
In terms of my diet obviously this has not worked to plan. I did finish (sporadically) my weeks worth of shakes but then pretty much just eat as normal and tried to curb the self-indulgence binges as much as i could. So ive missed 2 weeks worth of weigh ins. My chemist, bless her, gave me another weeks worth and skipped the weigh in as she said she did not want to put me in bad spirits if i had gained, so we're picking back up where we left off this coming tuesday, as normal.

So, im once again on day 4 and feeling a bit poorly in general (airplanes, im convinced they're plague incubators!!). But better than yesterday which was headachy and feeling puffed out and generally feeling quite sorry for myself!! But feeling perkier today! :D
Bonus, ive also gotnthe night off work! (i usually work sat and sun overnights in a call center) so i dont really know what to do with myself! Normally id be going back to sleep at this point so they're always kind of wasted days.

Does anyone else get really sweaty feet on LT btw? Could be the bug i suppose...

Anyway, pretty good day so far; watched the guinea pigs frolick around in the garden merrily eating all of mums plants with no apparent distinction, laughed at Dave (the cat) sitting quite comfortably in a compost pot, enjoyed a coffee/chocolate shake and the biggest annoyance of the day has been discovering that i cant save my new Pokemon game on my DS as theres a previous save file-meNing id lose my current game.
(believe it or not i am not 14, despite the fact that the above says otherwise!!)

Hows everyone else today?

Weigh in tomorrow!

Well, its weigh in day tomorrow and im both excited AND petrified. Excited to truly be back on the plan after being 100% this week with abaolutely no slip ups which means a possible good loss, but petrified because i had a week off prior to this and im scared ill have gained or STS. And i know, logically that to STS would be ok after this, but lets face it; ill be dissapointed.

On another note, im taking the plunge (literally, it seems) and pulling on a swimming costume and going swimming tomorrow! My plan (notw: "plan") is go swimming on mondays, tuesday and wednesdays as these are the days i have off a week. Monday is debateable as i wont finish work till 7am that morning after the overnight shift, but we'll see.
Tbh, at this point i dont even know if i can get into my cossie! Lol. Oo err.

Still feeling a bit poorly today, bit lightheaded and weak, but suspect this is still down to general bug thats going around work at the moment.

Exciting point, my boyfriend in the UK has started to jump on the house-hunting bandwagon, meaning he's actively planning to move in with me, which means much less financail pressure on me then if i was to move over on my own dime, find a job AND pay for somewhere on my own. Also exciting as i miss him madly and the thought of being with him 100% again brings a lump to my throat.

All in all, its been a good week and regardless of what the scales say, im proud of myself right now.

good for you and good luck! Shame you had a hiccup, but we are human and these things happen and what is important is that you were there for your sister. Really hope it goes well tomorrow, let us know how you get on!

Well done. We all get moments of weakness whats important is u have put it behind u and moved on. Wishing u lots of luck. Ur doing amazing. Xxx

Just a quick note before i pop off to the chemist to get weighed in, just feel im having a real 'fat' day today. Just look in the mirror and see no change, feel no change. All in all feeling a bit grumpy today but hopefully my weigh in will make me feel better, and if not, hopefully ill deal with it gracefully.

Ill update with the all important results lol, hope you're all having better starts to the day than me!!!

Well, did not see that coming honestly, was convinced there would be a gain or STS.
Turns out i managed to lose 3lbs somehow! Im pleased with that, means i can jump back on the horse and do it properly.
Still feeling a bit 'fugly' today but could be hormones, TOTM is scheduled for arrival lol.

well done! I have doubts every time I go on the scale, but I hope it will be the same in my case!

Well done Akri !! great loss :)

Back