Alcohol

Carmilla

Just starting SW this week and it's made me realise that my main problem is drink, which has been a big eye opener. Before SW I'd drink on Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday, usually 4-5 pints of cider a day. Now that I can see how many syns that adds up to it's scary. Plus there would be the crisps and takeaways to go with it. I had my best friend round on Thursday and still drank 50 syns worth but now I've cut back for the rest of the weekend (currently on 58 syns for the whole week).

So now I've stocked up on lots of diet sodas, big bag of ice and lemons and limes to slice up to replace my usual pints. Last night was the first Friday I can remember where I didn't drink :)

Welldone!!

Its a real shocker when you actually sit down & work it out ! We are the same in our house would have a bottle of wine open the doritos and next thing you know you've blown 60 syns - thats only in one night !!!!! We are trying to only have a drink on saturday nights!! Sp good luck to us all!

Oh yeah, wine and crisps are fatal! My husband says I'm looking different in the face already, I definitely feel less bloated. I like the fact that on SW I can have a heavy night (it was the first time my friend had had an over night baby sitter since august) and yet the next day think, well I'll just stick to free and superfree. I even had a 'fry up' the next morning - grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, beans, egg, lean bacon, slice of wholemeal bread with marmite, black filter coffee and a bowl of fruit with fat free fromage frais!

I too like a pint or two of cider I also like wine. I tend to drink cider when I go out, which to be honest isn't really that often as OH works shifts. I don't know if this will help, but what I've done with my glasses of wine is get myself a smaller glass, one which holds 100mls of wine, instead of a larger glass holdling more wine (which I'll drink) & more syns. I can still have 'a glass' of wine but just less wine, it all psycholgical but works for me.

Perhaps you could try drinking something similar to cider but less syns/syn free, if you go to class why not look SW website for ideas.

Well done so far, it really does take some doing watching the alchol intake!

I absolutely love wine and would have drank 3-4 nights a week before SW. I've just knocked it on the head now as I simply would rather use my Syns for other stuff. If I fancy a tipple I just have a vodka and slimline tonic (or two ;)) and then I don't feel deprived. It's shocking how much is in vino isn't it?

It's surprising isn't it! I don't drink that often to be honest, special occasions and rugby it about it. But when I drink, I drink. Lol. And it all adds up, I like lager when watching the rugby but am staying in today so I have limited alcohol, have 5 bottles of bud in the kitchen ready and waiting which is only the equivalent of 2.5 pints but its 30 syns!!!!! It's all planned into my week so I'm not worried but it is surprising how much it all adds up and if I was out watching the rugby it would have been 2pm (when the Scotland v Italy game starts), then the Wales v France (the main show. Hehe) game starts at 5 and even if I had only stayed out for those 2 games it could have equalled about 5-6 pints then if I stayed out for the rest of the night 9-10 pints. So between 45 and 90 syns (and knowing the way I drink would have even closer to the 90 mark)!!! Mad isn't it?!

No rugby on next weekend so I will have 2 weeks to plan the next weekend of rugby when Wales play Italy. May move to wine and drink less, half pints and, again drink less, vodka (although I drink those way too quickly) or could just completely flexi syn it. I'm going to start going to a group which is a Saturday morning so that gives me a tiny bit more leeway coz I will have a week to make it back up. :)

60 syns wowsers for 46 syns you could have battered cod inc batter and large chips and still have syns for a few large wines eek

I'm hoping as well that as I cut down and lose weight my tolerance will decrease, meaning a couple of drinks will be enough. Sat watching rugby at home now, would probably have had a couple of bulmers already but sat here with diet lemonade & ice in my pint glass :)

I'm hoping as well that as I cut down and lose weight my tolerance will decrease, meaning a couple of drinks will be enough. Sat watching rugby at home now, would probably have had a couple of bulmers already but sat here with diet lemonade & ice in my pint glass :)

I used to drink like a fish but now i barely drink as i would rather have chocolate instead but when i do drink one Glass of Wine and im anybodys lol

Still can't quite get to the point where I don't drink when there's rugby on. At the mo I'd just rather plan it into my weekly syns. :) 2 good games today though weren't they? :)

There was something on tv recently & it showed a large glass of wine had the same calories as a chocolate eclair! What an eye opener; I had been totally disregarding calories just because I didn't have to chew them!

I don't know if this will help, but what I've done with my glasses of wine is get myself a smaller glass, one which holds 100mls of wine, instead of a larger glass holdling more wine (which I'll drink) & more syns. I can still have 'a glass' of wine but just less wine, it all psycholgical but works for me.

Good suggestion. My wine glass holds 270ml (eek) + u never just put ikkle bit in do we.
Must admit wen doing sw I try not to hav much alcohol but only cause want to use syns on other things but like tonight wen have friends round having meal I can't resist. X

Still can't quite get to the point where I don't drink when there's rugby on. At the mo I'd just rather plan it into my weekly syns. :) 2 good games today though weren't they? :)

Try Sainsbury's low alcohol Czech beer - its 1 syn per bottle + tastes like beer :)

Back