alcohol?

At 15 I started drinking almost every friday night and saturday night, just with friends at parties. At 16 I moved into dorms and started drinking about 4 nights a week, then when I was 16 1/2, I was rushed into hospital with acute kidney failure.

My advice would be to just totally cut down your drinking. I have advanced kidney damage, and will need a kidney transplant before I'm 30, due to excessive drinking at young ages and dangerous eating habits.

I am on dialysis twice a week, I can't touch a drop of alcohol again, I am on pills every day.

It's just not worth it. Cut out the booze, and not only lose weight, but it might save your life.

Hi Tegan :)

Thank you for sharing this with us as I am sure it will make some younger members (and probably older ones too), think more about the amounts of alcohol they drink each week and some of their eating habits.

I sincerely hope you receive the best medical care. You are so young Tegan and sadly this is not the first time I have seen someone of your age be dealing with such challenges:sigh:

Take good care of yourself now,

Lacey..xx :)

It is awful that the lesson came too late for you but I hope it stops others doing the same

Stacey, im in the same boat, ive jsut turned 19 and alcohol is a big part of my social life. when i first got with my boyfriend we used to go to the pub every night (prettymuch) and have a few drinks, i dont think we ever really over did it, were not the sort of people who get absolutly s*** faced but it definitly piled on the pounds as im a cider girl too (woodpecker!!)

i have cut my drinking down to one night a week (a saturday) and am TRYING to stick to spirits with diet mixers. lol. i put on 1lb this week because it was my OH birthday and we had 2 nights out drinking of which i just had whatever i wanted - mostly cocktails with lots of sugar in probably.

you dont have to completely cut out alcohol to loose weight i dont think but seriously restrict yourself and be strict too if alcohol is your 'vice' then it really is all too easy to fall back into your old habits, especially if that is why you put on weight in the first place.

Tegan has a very valid point but i think the main message is alcohol abuse is a very serious issue and alcohol should be consumed responsibly. i would like to think of myself as a responsible drinker, i know i do drink but i never find myself in a situation where i have hangovers, dont know what i did last night or drink so much im sick or my head starts spinning which is obv what a lot of people do.

Id just like to say to tegan though, thanks for sharing your story, it can really put things into perspective sometimes and i hope you get the transplant you need

Back