Aldi virgin, what do you buy from there?

urbancookie

So today was the day i decided to get back on track and start anew on the SW trail after eating and also clearing out the fridge of any out of date foods.

My DD popped in raving about all the lovely stuff she'd brought from aldi.
Celery, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, soups etc ect that cost only a fraction of what they do in Sainsbury's.

Ive never shopped in Aldi and have decided to give it a try. So besides fruit and veg what other things do you recommend buying from there that are SW freindly?.

Tinned toms,passta, beans, feta, the less than 70 cal cereal bars (2 can be used as a HEXb).

I find the fresh meat expensive compared to Tesco though...

They do a lovely smoked german hamvery good value at 99p I think.

They do frozen fesh fruit also low.

There is a lite alpine cheese like philly and cottage cheese, be light I think its called.

The fruit and veg is great and lasts longer than other supermarkets. Also frozen fish and meat is good. The Thai salmon fishcakes with sweet chilli sauce are gorgeous 1 syn each.

teresa32uk said:
The fruit and veg is great and lasts longer than other supermarkets. Also frozen fish and meat is good. The Thai salmon fishcakes with sweet chilli sauce are gorgeous 1 syn each.

The Thai fishcakes are now 3 syns each... I checked them the other day as I was going to buy some

Are thoes fishcakes the ones they're talking about in this thread? Because according to them, they were free but have now been changed to 3 Syns... just thought I'd mention it in case they were the same ones.

Edit: I see BeckyT beat me to it! :)

Cereal (weetabix type things, bran flakes, porridge), fruit & veg is amazingly cheap (each week they do 6 specials for 69p), tinned stuff (tomatoes, tuna), eggs, milk (£1 = 4 pints), cous cous... Basically most things non branded but I also get my meat elsewhere as not a huge selection, no extra lean & more expensive. Although they have packs of lean bacon for 99p at the mo...!

Aldi is the only place that does 3 mixed peppers for 99p (& sometime 69p) & you can usually get a red, yellow & orange - I hate green peppers so this is ideal for me.

They also do an amazing luxury fruit muesli but I don't buy it now - could easily eat a 1kg box in a week when I was pregnant(!) Eek...

So yes, I'd definitely recommend but bear in mind you may need 2 shopping lists - one for aldi & one for a mainstream supermarket depending on what you like. I do this but it works out so so much cheaper so worth the extra trip. x

I buy their cereals, passata, tinned tomatoes, pasta, chicken thighs, fruit and veg (peppers, leeks, spring onions, apples, potatoes etc), frozen veg, and that's about it. Their frozen lamb shanks are DIVINE! Not a fan of their salad bags though. I'm lucky to live in the town centre, so shop all over the joint for the cheapness - Farmfoods is just over the road, 2 large milks for £1.80, 6 eggs for 69p, and pasta packs are cheapest in B&M or Home Bargains. I find I now only have to go to the big supermarkets for meats, and if they have things like Muller lights or cheese on offer.

I love Aldi and do a massive shop once a month to stock up. Their tinned tomatoes and passata are fab, the fruit and veg is so cheap and good quality. I but the frozen salmon and tuna steaks, their lean mince and the whole chickens are good value.

Personally I find their meat prices comparable with Tesco but maybe I'm missing a deal on or something?

I love their mozzarella, 49p, tinned tomatoes their lf salad cream and their tomato sauce is very good too. Also their washing up liquid, dishwasher tabs, and spray kitchen cleaner, all MUCH cheaper than branded stuff( and they are recommended by Which.) And I use their moisturiser! Oh and the thick fabric conditioner. I go there first then on to Morrisons.
Now I always get my steak mince there as it is SO much cheaper than Morrisons. I know it's not free but I can't afford the real extra lean.

Last edited:
Lawks, where to start with this thread!

Blackcurrant NAS high juice is lovely. So is their sugar free ginger beer and premium diet lemonade.

As already stated, their cereal bars are 2 for a hex b and 1.29 for 6 - which is much cheaper than alpen lights/fibre plus, BUT they are VERY sweet, and quite small.

Like Judi, washing powder, washing up liquid, other cleaning stuff, bin liners, scrubby sponges etc all come from there. Kids love their chocolate and pringle-style crisps.

The fruit and veg "super 6" changes fortnightly on a Sunday, sometimes its great, sometimes it doesnt have much that I want. Generally their fruit and veg is very reasonable anyway though.

Their low-fat cottage cheese is great for making SW quiche, and is syn-free. Like others have said, to really get a decent shop, it is necessary to go to somewhere else as well to get the bits you are missing but it does save you a fortune on the essentials.

Oh and their noodles are very cheap too

Well I went to Aldi 1st time and was pleasantly suprised by their prices. I brought a basket or should i say cardboard box full of fruit & veg (they dont have baskets do they?) tins of tomatoes, passsata, cous-cous hot & spicy which i had with chicken for tea tonight and have got plenty left for tomorrows lunch. Tomato paste, gerkins, coleslaw, ham, and some choccy biccys that DH loves from sainsburys but are only 1/2 the price at Aldi.
So im really please with my bargains and only spent just over a tenner, and to top it all, i popped into Tesco on the way back from the gym and got a whole cooked chicken for £1, some cobs for 17p and a bowl of sliced apples and fruits for 20p. so thats me sorted for a few days now.

The Thai fishcakes are now 3 syns each...

I dont think SW can make up there mind, they have gone from free to 1 syn to 3 syns and now in the new syn book they are 1 syn again.... I have got 6 in the freezer and i only have 1 on a plate and only have it with a salad for a nice lunch, never have the sauce ......... So i class it as 1 syn a cake..... Its not like im living off them and eating them every day and more than 1 at a time :)
xx

I love Aldi!
Fruit and veg, household cleaning items, snacky bits for kids packed lunch, all soooooo much cheaper than Tesco and the quality is great.

I find the meat good too - the free range chickens are £4.99, compared with £8 at least in Tesco! I buy the lean mince which is £2.50 or £1.99 for 500g, it's very good quality and I syn it at 2 syns per 100g. I bought a pack of 6 chicken thighs for 1.99 too which I think is good value. Oh and as previously said, the bacon is currently 99p a pack!!

Free range eggs are 1.99 for 15, compared to £3.60 in Tesco for 12!!!

Shopping in Aldi is a regular thing for me now and I top up in Tesco when I have too.

becciharland said:
I dont think SW can make up there mind, they have gone from free to 1 syn to 3 syns and now in the new syn book they are 1 syn again.... I have got 6 in the freezer and i only have 1 on a plate and only have it with a salad for a nice lunch, never have the sauce ......... So i class it as 1 syn a cake..... Its not like im living off them and eating them every day and more than 1 at a time :)
xx

That's really interesting as I checked the website last week and they were showing as 3 syns each!!!

Like you, having them as a one off won't make the slightest bit of difference. It would be great to know there true value lol!

Back