All about water

*AnnaMaria*

Silver Member
Why is water so important (other than the obvious dehydration with no carbs hydrating business)?

Can decaf coffee and diet pop be considered or does it have to be pure water?

Why?

I hate water!

I'm right there with you! I rarely manage my water for the day, though if tea counted it would be a different story!

I like fizzy water but a couple of glasses, not the river we're supposed to drink!

(Not any help I know but just wanted to share the pain!)

But but but but...... how does it make you lose the weight?!

If a person is dehydrated their body compensates by retaining excess water as a protective measure. This can be responsible for some excess weight.

Also a dehydrated person's metabolism is significantly lower than a normally hydrated person. The higher your metabolism, the quicker you use up your energy sources, fat, protein, carbs.

Wow thank you both!

I also struggle to drink enough water but never struggle with tea, coffee etc...
A friend of mine has a child with special needs and was put on an Atkins type diet to help with her epilepsy, the doctors told her to ensure that her child drinks plenty of water as the low carb diet can result in kidney stones through the build up of fat deposits. I think thats how she described it.

Hmm, I thought Kidney stones were due to excess salt. I'll have to google that one.

That was an interesting read there Jim. I've been chucking water down me like its going out of fashion since I posted this thread. I haven't weighed myself, but I definitely feel lighter!

A friend of my Dad's had kidney stones and I can recall his screams when he was passing one once, shudder.... It was awful, ever since then I've always tried to use as little salt as possible.

Hi everyone! :sign0144:
I've been on Atkins for 3 weeks now. Ketosis started day 2- from that day on I am sooo thirsty as hell. I like drinking water and I have my 3.5 to 4 litres per day. Before low-carb, I had massive oedems and water in my legs and fingers. I also drank a lot of water then because without it, I got headache in the office.
Since I'm on Atkins, the water in my legs and hands has vanished! Though I drink a lot more than before.
For me, drinking enough pure water is THE thing. Even if it might be hard for some people to drink enough- it helps a lot!

Hi Mellow and welcome, there is a newbie thread around here, why don't you post a hello there love. That's good news on the water loss isn't it?

Jes, Jim- it definitely is.
But in my case, I haven't really lost weight (only the water), and now I gained +1kg

Jes, Jim- it definitely is.
But in my case, I haven't really lost weight (only the water), and now I gained +1kg

Ooh dear, I didn't see that bit! Hmm, maybe you should start posting your daily menus in the "What are we eating today" thread, then we can see where this might have come from?

as LM says, I missed that as well.

Back