Amount of carbs in bars

boardwitless

Silver Member
Have just noticed that the peanut bar has only 13g of carbs while the toffee and orange have nearly double that

- does that make a difference and has anyone noticed that weight loss is better if they stick to the peanut bars?

Also, I don't have the other bars here to read the labels - are the other soft bars high while the cranberry is lower?
Thanks

The peanut and cranberry are lower in carbs and calories . I love the cranberry so this week got 5 of them and 2 chocolate bars. I can't tell you if it's effecting my weight loss but I'm making the most of what I enjoy as we don't exactly get much on CD. I wouldn't worry about it too much xxx

i believe the softer bars contain more polyols (sugar alcohols). they get subtracted from the carb content as they have minimal impact on blood sugar levels. i dont have any to hand but if you check on ingredients or nutritional values it may list them under carb content. if you take this off total carbs it may bring them down...

dont quote me lol but i have a feeling the softer ones may have these fake 'sugars' in!

xxx

i believe the softer bars contain more polyols (sugar alcohols). they get subtracted from the carb content as they have minimal impact on blood sugar levels. i dont have any to hand but if you check on ingredients or nutritional values it may list them under carb content. if you take this off total carbs it may bring them down...

dont quote me lol but i have a feeling the softer ones may have these fake 'sugars' in!

xxx

LOL, look - I'm quoting you... :D

I think you're right. As a former 'Atkins' girl' who participated on low carb forums, the whole polyol (sugar alcohol) thing came up quite a bit.

To cut a long story short, a few people's bodies seem to treat these artificial sugars as carb (which is why those people later go on to suspect that they're sensitive to bars) although on a low calorie diet, this is less significant than it is on a low carb Atkins-ie type diet.

Personally, I think the CD bars get a bad rep purely because people start eating them in week 3 - which just happens to coincide with the point where weight loss on this diet (and pretty much every diet) slows down. People blame the bars instead though - and so throw the baby out with the bathwater and stop eating them when in fact, it wouldn't have made any difference at all.

IMHO, I think you could only categorically decide that having the bars slows your weight loss if you were to have one every day for a month. Trouble is, most of us are in such a hurry to lose weight, we're not prepared to take the chance that it might be the bars and so we cut them out.

Personally, I've never found that having a bar every day significantly affects my rate of loss.

i have a bar everyday and have done since week 2 and i still had a great weightloss on week 3

I had bars all through SS from the third week, and I'm happy with my weight loss! :) KD told me that the peanut and cranberry bars had less carbs than shakes, so that's encouraging for anyone who likes them! (I like the cranberry.)

Bars are a godsend for anyone with a sweet tooth who actually wants to chomp on something! :D (I cut mine up into tiny pieces and keep them in the freezer - each piece a chewy baby sweetie! :eek:)

I've eaten a bar everyday since week 3...
In my third week I lost 6 pounds so think you can still have a good weightloss with them. (I only lost 2 pounds the week after though, but I think this is just a normal slow down week. Hoping for a little more this week, but not ready to give up on the bars yet - I love them too much!)

I eat the bars and my weight loss has not slowed down since doing so - averaging 6/7lbs a week - so I say go for it - it's nice to chew something!!
Also the bars are good as like most people I cut them up and 'nibble' throughout the evening, or I find I can still take 'chocolate' to the cinema etc. (remeber to drink lots of water with them though, I find the bunged me up to start - sorry to be graphic!!!)

Back