Annoyed with SW mag

SarahJane<3

Well maybe its my fault....

Has anyone else tried the duck pancakes recipe?

Hoisin sauce - nice
Duck stirfry - nice

Pancakes..... no, just no ewwww they were omlettes with chunks of flour in so disappointed, sense should have prevailed when i read 8 eggs to 30g flour

If your suggesting duck omlettes SW, fine, but at least call them that!

As you can tell i dont really like omlette ;)

Hmm, that doesn't sound that nice. I think I'd just have the duck stirfry with the sauce and forget about the "pancakes"!

If your pancakes were lacklustre, you may need to look at what has been used and change things up a bit.

Technically, oriental pancakes used for duck are simply flour and water.

The recipe SW have suggested I was surprised at.

Egg and flour recipes have a really eggy taste.
To be honest, you are not going to have the oriental pancake taste which is low in Syns but you could make crêpes style pancakes.
Instead of going with egg and flour, use one egg, three tablespoons of fat free yoghurt and a small spoonful of flour. The mix will be a thick mix so you can add water to make a more liquid batter.

Save yourself the Syns and get something more satisfying in the process. It IS possible to still enjoy duck, pancakes and chopped salad in pancakes :)

Hmm... now I was looking forward to the pancakes, but I obviously hadn't read the recipe!! I'd rather just get the normal pancakes from the chinese supermarket than attempt to make eggy things, I hate eggs :(

It's SW-speak!! "Pancakes" are really thin omelettes. "Quiches" are really frittatas. "Cheesecakes" are really jelly and yogurt.

OK once you get the hang of it, but annoying if you are expecting something which resembles the real thing.

Tehehe i think your right there Anna!! SW speak!

Thanks for the suggestions, i think that i can have the frozen ones from the Chinese supermarket for 1 syn each so ill definitely go for that next time :D

That recipie sounds better than SWs pheonix but i think id end up with more syns in them than just using the frozen ones

Was also a bit taken aback with the price of my duck breast so i might even do chicken and shred it next time ;)

If you use a dessertspoonful, it's 2 Syns, tops and that's for the entire batch so you could technically pig out and have as many as you like :p

Chicken works, you could do it with lemon and shred it or you could also use lamb, ginger and spring onions maybe with a few black beans and stick those in a pancake :D

Yes... SW speak... like the 1/2 syn cake that sounded like the absolute best thing on the planet until I found out it was mostly egg :( it makes me wish I liked eggs! So many more options if I did lol ;)

Hahaha i gues its a case of if it sounds to good to be true sometimes....

I.E if it sounds too good to be low syn its probably made of eggs cottage cheese jelly or yogurt ;P

I love it really!!

Don't get me wrong - if the recipe works and people like it, then fine. Loads of people like the "quiches" which is great.

And I often make a jelly with some yogurt in it, maybe with some beaten egg white if I have the time. It's really nice. But a cheesecake it ain't!

Wow sorry to pull up a thread from weeks ago but I made the pancakes on the weekend for the duck dish and thought they were GORGEOUS!
Now the recipe says to get 8 from them and I got 11, but I whisked until smooth and they cooked great. Made them hours before dinner, and there wasn't a complaint to be heard from my non-SW following guests. Also used the hoisin sauce as an extra, didnt fry the duck in it. I'll defo be making them again :p

Im glad they worked out well for you, im almost tempted to try again but not quite hehe

I have now got some frozen pancakes from the Chinese supermarket and happy to spend a couple of syns on one or two, ive done it with shredded chicken as the duck breasts were sooo expensive, the chicken is nice though its one of my favourites right now i sometimes take leftovers to make up at work... yum!

Yes... SW speak... like the 1/2 syn cake that sounded like the absolute best thing on the planet until I found out it was mostly egg :( it makes me wish I liked eggs! So many more options if I did lol ;)

I'd honestly feel less guilty just having a lovely chocolate cake and synning it rather than the "alternative desserts". I think that because Slimming World sometimes stresses the importance of not counting calories, people sometimes forget food has calories in it, and it doesn't help towards changing eating habits. Just my personal opinion :)

I'd honestly feel less guilty just having a lovely chocolate cake and synning it rather than the "alternative desserts". I think that because Slimming World sometimes stresses the importance of not counting calories, people sometimes forget food has calories in it, and it doesn't help towards changing eating habits. Just my personal opinion :)

I completely agree Matt... I'd much rather have a piece of chocolate cake than the 'scan bran' versions... it's a great idea, and some people love them, but it's just not for me!
I'm a 'full fat cheese' kind of girl too... the low fat stuff just doesn't cut it lol

I love duck pancakes but haven't tried this recipie,they don't sound that great to be honest.I think I would probably leave out the pancake idea and just have the duck with some rice and vegetables. It's like the fakeaway kebabs,they taste really nice but it's not kebab it's like slices of meatloaf with pitta and salad.

Last edited:
I haven't tried the 1/2 syn cake as it just sounds too eggy. I imagine it would be like the "cake in a mug" - just egg. I don't mind eggs, but to call it a cake means that I'm having to stretch my imagination far too much and it just doesn't work for me!

Also, the SW "quiche"- what is all that about? Isn't it just like a frittata or something? To me, it reminds me of my Spanish omelette recipe. It always seems to get rave reviews, but I'm confused because it's just egg and that's it. I'm not a fat of pastry but I do miss those days where I would have a whole quiche to myself! And I just don't think SW version would cut it- no matter how much healthier it was!

Back