any help would be so amazing (RTM)

Emzy22

Heya all, i posted this in te RTM section but didn't get any response and i'm really starting to worry about what to do now, i hope everyones doing ok? I was wondering if any of you lovelys could help me, or give me some suggestions? So i've done week 1 of RTM, but today found out that due to cuts they're making in my work place i've been let go:sigh:, massively stressful times, but i didn't turn to food (yippeee) which i think shows the amazing power of what being on this diet can help you sort out. Anyways, because of all that and not being sure when i will be earning money again i deff can't afford to do the rest of my RTM=s. I've managed to buy enough packs for just under 5 weeks off a friend (based on 3 packs per day which is what i'm on at the moment) whose been yoyoing on and off this diet for quite a number of years so that's not a problem, but what i am worried about is knowing what food and quanties of those foods to introduce each week, and what weeks i have to cut out a pack? I've called my LLC, but to be honest she wasn't very nice about it, and basically said that i would probably end up putting all the weight back on because i'm not finishing RTM with her. I could've cried right there and then on the phone, i know how important RTM is, but thought she might be able to offer me some advice after seening her everyweek through my journey, but instead i just got a brush off really. Can anyone out there on the RTM plan or anyone whose finished it and is on maintence help me out at all?
Sorry for the long explanation in the message, take care allxxxx

Oh Emzy - what a nightmare for you. So sorry to hear about your job.
Please read my maintenance thread. Each week I detail the types of foods I am eating and the number of packs. I can tell you the changes i made to their reintroduction to food as well - simply because it worked better for me.
I decided to go low carb after completing LL and as such I did not reintroduce fruit, grains, bread, starchy vegetables or sugar (especially those hiding in processed foods) at all. This meant that my RTM journey was a little different, but I still had the required number of packs each day.If you do decide to add carbs back into your diet - be really careful. I am deadly serious about this. You need to use myfitnesspal to count your numbers every day. This will allow you to increase your carb count by about 10 grams/day each week. Don't reintroduce carbs any quicker than that. Once you reach a level where you are maintaining easily - STOP.
Your carb level might be only 70 grams or less. it might seem low but eating more will allow you to put on. You might be less resistant and be able to eat more. But most of us who have been overweight have a problem with carbs which is life long. I keep my carbs to less than 70 grams - but more often, less than 50 grams.
Also remember that eating carbs will increase your cravings. So keep a close eye on those too.
Exercise - but keep it simple. walking or light gym work. You don't want to stimulate your appetite too much.

You can do this alone (although you are not alone because you have us!). Your LLC is right - most people put on weight if they go it alone. But most people fail to understand the importance of counting their carbs and not eating the types of foods they used to.

Basically carbs are all important. Please don't worry about calories too much. Having fewer carbs automatically means you eat a little less due to a smaller appetite. Also don't worry about fat in your diet as long as it comes from natural sources. Avoid margarine and processed oils.

So in essence you basic diet should consist of (in this order) - meat,non-starchy vegetables, full fat dairy products, nuts. If you wish you can add in small quantities - pulses, starchy veg, whole grains. But be very careful and monitor them carefully. Don't eat sugar or any processed grains.

I hope that is clear.

Obviously i am no expert and this is my opinion. I am not trying to give nutritional advice - but this is what i eat and hopefully it will work for you too.

Oh and I use this rule when i go to the supermarket.

If it is less than 1 gram of carbs per 100 grams of product - I eat it freely. eg meat, most cheese, fats
If it is less than 5 grams of carbs per 100 grams I will eat it but I stick to the correct portion size and count the carb grams carefully - eg some processed meats, some dairy products
If it is between 5-10 gams of carbs per 100 grams, I eat it only on weekends and weigh and measure the portion size. eg nuts, wine
More than 10 grams of carbs per 100 grams - I don't eat it...

Each meal (four per day) is less than 20 grams of carbs and around 30 grams of protein. This is enough to prevent cravings. Most carbs come from vegetables.

Great advice nzmegs. I'm starting RTM at the end of this week. While on Total I've done a lot of research into nutrition, particulary in relation to my PCOS. Overwhelmingly the advice is for me to strictly limit carbs, avoid sugar and avoid processed foods. I'm going to do RTM, but NOT introduce those foods back into my diet and have plans very similar to what you do now. Im going to have to experiment with the carb level and find my own tipping point. It's good to hear that it's working for you. I hope nzmegs advice is useful to you too emzy.

Heya, im just on my phone do will reply to this properly tomorrow on the computer but I just wanted to say thank you so so much, I ha a few tears of happiness when I read your post at just how amazing and thoughtful and lively you are for taking your time to right back and help me out so so much, I genuinely feel so much more optimistic and like I can do this now, I owe you so much and really just can't say how thankful I am for your help and support. All your advice and pointers are just perfect and tomorrow I'm going to sit down work out meal plans and things following what you've said, I think I might start a diary on here asleep just so I make sure I keep on track with it all, and I deff agree on the low carb aspect for the long term, carbs definitely for me in the weight situation I was in before, so keeping them at a minimal and still enjoying a normal healthy lifestyle seems like the best idea, thank you again so much and I will reply more fully tomorrow but couldn't go to sleep without letting you know how greatful I am, you're my guardian angel! Xxxxxx

Emzy, if you need any info from the RTM books I'm happy to scan and email you some.

Wait, I have the OLD rtm books, not the new ones.... Sorry

Don't forget, you phase the packs out I think, so some weeks will be 2 or 1 pack per day... So you may have enough packs to finish RTM

if you have to come off its worth taking a look at the dukan diet book basically it is carb free (atkins with no fat) i managed my weight two yrs ago when i came off a simular plan, its worth a look as the doctor explains how our bodies will try to get back the carbs we have lost and if we are aware of it we can work against it(obv a watered done explanation) hope this helps x

Ive looked into Slim and save that seems cheap.

Emzy, if you need any info from the RTM books I'm happy to scan and email you some.

If you could that would be amazing, even if there are the old books, i don't mind doing that. As you all may have been able to tell from my lack of being on here, i've gone slightly downhill, what with the sudden stopping of councillor and group support and just being pretty confused about what i should be doing. I've had a massive talk with myself today about how i need to start making sure i look after myself properly if i want to stay healthy. I've put on a few lbs already because i've just not even been on the packs i made sure i had, argh! i don't know why i do this to myself after all the work done in LLT you'd have thought it'd of learnt a thing or two!
Blowden, thank you loads for the book advice, i'm going to get onto amazon and look it up straight away! I have looked at slim and save and if i run out of packs i will most deff buy some on there. I am thinking of putting myself back on total for 2 weeks (just to refocus, loose the few lbs i've gained and also to give me time to map out to the exact letter my RTM plan), so will be starting RTM myself in June, just need to make sure i work everything out before then so i don't blip! Thank you again everyone for all your amazing help, i really just can't say how much it means to me, you're stars!xxxx

Ok, no probs. I'll start scanning some pages. Look, don't worry about the extra pounds too much - its probably water. When you come off ketosis, you replace the water in you muscles that you lost in week 1. But be careful, any weight gained from now on probably won't be water. You need to get back into ketosis, so you may have a couple of hard days, then it'll be easier after that.... I really recommend the book by gillian riley called "eating less, say good bye to over eating". It helped me out a lot.... Good luck!

Back