Any oat-y cake or muffin recipes?

Caz

Repeat Offender
My dad's diabetic and my mum's rubbish at making cakes so the only time he gets them is if I make them. As it's the summer holidays for me (teacher) I'm thinking of making a couple of batches. He really likes oaty type things but I'm struggling to think of recipes. The sugar in a recipe doesn't really matter, I've made enough now to know how to tweak a normal recipe to make it diabetic friendly so wondering if anyone has any kind of recipe that involves oats in some form of cake or muffin type thing?

Hi Caroline. I have a lovely recipe for oaty cookies. The recipe below makes 4 large cookies (98 calories each) or 6 smaller ones (65 calories each).

65g apple sauce
30g porridge oats
30g instant skimmed milk powder
1 tbsp flour (I use wholemeal for extra chewiness, but you can use white)
1 tbsp Splenda (or other sweetener)
1 fresh date, pitted and chopped
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking powder

Oven Gas mark 4, 350f, 180c

Spray a non stick cookie sheet with frylight.

Put all the dry ingredients plus the chopped date into a bowl and stir. Add the apple sauce and mix everything together well.

Split mixture into 4 or 6 depending on the size of the cookies you want and dollop onto the tray, spreading the mixture out to flatten them out.

Bake for 15-20 minutes until the edges are golden brown. I find 15 minutes is usually enough, so keep an eye on them!

I have a lovely recipe for blueberry muffins somewhere too. If I can find it, I'll pop back on and give you that one as well. There is a really good site for sugar-free and low-fat cakes - I'll see if I can find the link and pm you (not sure we are allowed to cite here) :D

Thanks for the recipe. My Dad's not really a cookie type person but I might make these sometime. I ended up just kind of doing my own recipe and made him some banana and oat muffins that turned out quite well. Going to attempt blueberry today :)

Back