Any Under Active Thyroid People On Slimfast?

CoCo

I am getting really confused:confused: I have read that people with under active thyroid's should avoid soy or soya products, so decided not to try Slimfast again as it has soy in it.
So I had a quick look at some stuff in the cupboards, and quite a few things have soya in.
So I'm not avoiding it at all really.
Is there anyone else doing Slimfast that has an under active thyroid and does it affect you? I really want to give SF another go, I have gained 5 pounds over the past couple of weeks:( but am worried about tbis soy business.

My friend has an underactive thyroid and she too tried Slimfast a few years ago. She didn't get on well with it at all. She has just joined me at Slimming World and she has lost 7lb in her first 2 weeks.

A sensible eating plan would be best for you if you have foods you need to avoid

Thanks for your reply. I have tried SW, WW, and didn't get on at all well. I gained weight on SW, how the heck that happened I don't know.
I like SF because there's no calorie or point counting or weighing, I lost better on SF and stopped because I got bad wind:eek: and stomach cramps, but can't remember if that was Tesco's own or SF:confused:

I have been looking on the net, and it says I shoudn't have broccoli or cabbage or tea and coffe and alcohol as I have under acive thyroid.
It's driving me mad, I think I'll stop looking otherwise I probably won't be able to eat anything,lol!!
The brown bread I eat has soya flour in it, I never knew that and I have it for breakfast toasted everyday.

I know this is a really, really old thread but I found it while googling and thought I'd reply to it incase anyone else is having a similar dilemma...

People taking thyroxine should avoid soy products, as soy inhibits the body's ability to absorb thyroxine - it's not to do with the underactive thyroid per say, rather it's to do with getting the most from your medication.

At the very least, you should make sure you take your medication a good few hours before consuming soy -- and dairy, caffeine, etc, which can also cause problems.

Linkie :)

Back