anyon struggling t lose weight with an underactive thyroid??

Tracie Green

Silver Member
Hi all,

im really strugging, im doing everything i should be, under 10 syns a day, 3 days a week of half hour cardio, walking 2.5 miles everyother day, and te weight s sooooo slow to come off.... befoe i was diagnosed with underactive thyroid i could lose weight so quickly! im enetering week 3 tomoro and i dont think ive lost anything... anyone else having the same strugle...?:sigh:

Hi, Tracie

I also have an underactive thyroid but managing to loose weight on SW. Its a steady 1 and 2 lbs a week and the occasional 3lbs. Im 46 and not doing any excersice. This topic has been discussed before if you use the search for "SW and underactive thyroid" you will get more help.

it may just be what food you're eating..
I don't do well on pasta and rice..
I have a borderline underactive thyroid, just this side of normal..
I eat a chicken dinner every night with loads of veg and a few 'taters..
I also don't have many syns, 2-5 a day..
you just need to find what works for you and stick to it..

Hi Tracie,

Another underactive thyroid here and i have lost over 4 stone. You must keep going and dont give up. Dont let the fat win.
It is early days in your weight lose journey so you must keep your chin up and dont get down hearted. Looking at your starting weight you dont have too much to lose and i believe that the nearer you are to target the harder it is. So keep going you will get there. x x

Tracie, I don't have a diagnosed underactive thyroid, but I believe my metabolism is equivalent to that of a tortoise and it takes me so long to get weight off, that I understand exactly how you feel.

Some time ago I went with some girls from work to SW and it took me 6 months to get 10 lbs off, while they were dropping 3/4 lbs every week ( while eating pizza and boozing at weekends).

I could have cried many times, but I was silly as instead of being happy with the weight I had lost, I gave up and put it all back on.

So here I am again, back at square one and filled with dread that I am going to be the one who wont lose weight even though I have given up so much!

We just have to keep going I think. :)

ahh thanx for the replies people x im glad im not the only one!! i used to lose it so easily, untl i had my son which is what caused my underactive thyroid, i actually had a blood tes today to see if my levels needed topping up so we shall see x wow 4 stone wackyjacobeany!! thats fantastic and a mighty inspiration!!! thankyou!! did you find that anything worked in particular for u?> did u have tod loads of exercise or did you do it just through sw?? tanx for your replies nx

Hi Tracie Green!

I've been diagnosed too with an underactive thyroid. I'm one of the youngest people I know who has it! Since I've been put on medication and trying SW, it has been coming off. Not very well as I wasn't putting 100% into it.

It is very do-able though. As suggested, possibly your dosage needs to be altered. Mine has been a few times and due another blood test tomorrow.

Good Luck! x

hi evie, so how old are you? im 27. thats encouraging! had my results today and dosage is fine, will just have to keep plodding along and maybe up my exercise even more x

I'm 25 now (nearly 26) but I was diagnosed when I was 22. Had alot of the symptoms and it runs through my family as well.

Another possibility if you're not seeing results is doing a food diary and double checking you're not missing anything? :eek:

doing that.... i think my metabolism is just sloweer now so cant expect it to just fall off x

Mine comes of about a pound a week at best and that's sticking to it 100%. If I deviate from it slightly I can forget a loss that week. It's soooo hard you have my every sympathy. We didn't overeat to put this weight on and now we have to diet twice as hard to lose it - doesn't seem fair does it. Good luck!

Yeh that is the problem with the underactive thyroid. However, if you are on the right dosage, your metabolism should balance out. See how you get on with the results from your last blood test.

:eek:)

Back