Anyone bought a Sofa from Argos???? Help Please!!

geordie_lass21

Silver Member
I have now got to the ripe old age of 33 and venturing out to buy our first sofa! (I say it like that as I have lived in my own place since the age if 20 and always have had second hand - mums old one and then we bought our house 8 years ago the previous owners left the sofa)! We couldnt believe our luck as it was better than the previous one!

We now are moving and for the same reason the previous people left the sofa (they couldnt get it out of the house) we are doing the same!

I realised I have expensive tastes, I want something modern, ideally leather but when I look at the sofa showrooms nothing really takes my fancy other than the ones with an expensive price tag.

Then I came across the go-create range which lets you first choose the style and then pick the material and they are a fraction of the cost.

I know you get what you pay for but really are the likes of scs, dfs, harveys or csl any better!

This is the one I like - Buy Go Create Umbria Premium Leather Large Sofa - Black at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Fabric sofas and leather sofas.

Has anyone got any experience of buying from Argos for sofa's. (I did google reviews but they were 2 years old and this go-create range might be better than the off the shelf ones).

I do like this range but by the time you add the material and buy two they cost quite a bit more than our budget!

Not recent information but my cousin got her first sofa's for her first house from argos... they didn't last long, she said she wished she'd just got the expensive sofa in the first place!!! Most places do four years interest free credit, so you don't pay anymore than what the goods cost, you don't have to take the full 4 years either, or if you do you can pay off early with no penalty. x

Thanks, I know Argos are renowned for the fact they are so cheap but the modern style I found elsewhere seems so much more pricey!

We are going to check out Harveys today so might see what deals they have but in all honesty none really appeal from the site. I think after putting up with what we have had there is just so much choice and i want it to be perfect.

The problem is that the style I want elsewhere seems to be closer to £1200 for a 3 seater and not much less for the 2 seater (when our budget was £1500 for both)! LOL

My husband thinks I have delusions of grandeur lol

surely there's a sofa sale on somewhere, there always is.. or wait until the bank holiday.. they usually do them then..

you could try the manufacturers directly.. there's one by us that sells direct to the public..

and weren't argos the ones that got those cheap chinese leather sofas where the chemicals they used were burning peoples skin when they sweated on them in the summer?

geordie_lass21 said:
Thanks, I know Argos are renowned for the fact they are so cheap but the modern style I found elsewhere seems so much more pricey!

We are going to check out Harveys today so might see what deals they have but in all honesty none really appeal from the site. I think after putting up with what we have had there is just so much choice and i want it to be perfect.

The problem is that the style I want elsewhere seems to be closer to £1200 for a 3 seater and not much less for the 2 seater (when our budget was £1500 for both)! LOL

My husband thinks I have delusions of grandeur lol

Dfs & SCS offer monthly payment plans, some only £10 per month and interest free. There are 2 things I always feel we should spend decent money on
1) a sofa
2) a bed

We spend do much time on them, so the comfyness is really important.

I did visit an Argos superstore last year that had some sofa's on display, i Iike a sofa that you sink into, the ones I tried were really hard and very upright, couldn't relax on them at all.

If u live anywhere near farnborough in hants Bentalls have a sale this week in their warehouse there. Its all stuff that bentalls have taken as returns ( usually cos its not the colour the customer thought it was - never anything wrong with them) get some great bargains ( we got a £1000 mattress and £2000 sofa and chair for about £300 a few years ago) ny hubby works there and says they have lots of goid bargains this time round

Some charity shops sell furniture. Last year I saw a fantastic leather sofa in a charity shop in the Midlands which was less than £100 - slightly worn but very good quality.

I wouldn't buy a sofa from anywhere (like most Argos branches) where you can't sit in it first.

Do you have to buy a sofa immediately? If not, what I would do is find something I really liked regardless of cost, and then find out when that shop is next having a sale.

Or check out eBay - you can arrange the results of your search by distance from you so you can pick things up easily.

I bought a sofa a few years ago from a welsh factory shop, if you google for sofasofa you'll find the page. Unless you can get to their showroom you have to hope it's going to be OK (which is what I did!!) but they said if we didn't like it they would come back and collect it. Definately check out some of the "online" companies as well though, they can be cheaper for pretty much the same sofa that the "high street" stores charge a massive mark up for.

My brother had a very comfy lovely sofa from argos that lasted years, our sofa is from furniture village and is as comfy as a bed!!! i love it!!

Thanks for all the replies. I think you are right about not being able to test the sofa out. That was my concern and because Argos seems to have a bit of a reputation for cheapness I wanted to know if anyone had any good experiences.

I have checked out a number of shops and sen one not too bad price. I do need to get one ready for when we move as otherwise we will be sitting on the floor in the new house (as the one we have wouldnt be able to come through the door unless we removed the window frame / patio doors and then over the kitchen island).

But I do think we can wait to the easter/ royal wedding as i expect that could be a good time for sales for furniture.

I have never heard of Bentalls but that sounds a great bargain. Shame I live miles away. I have checked out sofasofa, that is nowhere near where i live but i did see they have a guarantee which sounds promising. I will also check out furniture village as hadnt come across that one.

Charity Shops and Ebay are great but I really want a new one this time (and if we can get it on interest free credit all the better) :)

Thanks everyone for your help and advice :)

I am a complete sofa snob and agree with what's been posted above about the two things worth investing in are your sofa and bed. We got our three seater, two seater (which actually fits four :confused:) and a foot stool from Reids which at the time was about £1000 for the lot. This was about three years ago though! I think my mum got one from Argos recently (or Tescos on line not sure) but sent it back cos the colour wasn't quite as advertised. I do believe if your spending what is still quite a lot of money you should be able to try before you buy. My mum got hers from Ikea in the end. They're quite reasonable and comfy.

We bought our bed from Argos and had to replace it less than a year later. I do think you get what you pay for. We bought two fantastic sofas three years ago and they did cost around £1100 but they still look amazing, are so comfy and will last for years. I do understand your want to get them asap as I did when I bought my first home but it is so worth the wait and the expense. We paid for ours over 18 months so interest free is definately the way to go.

Back