Anyone else suffering with Hypothyroidism??

Been doing slimming world for a few months now and lost a little weight but very slowly.
I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid a while back and since starting medication for this I've really struggled and I've put on weight, even though I've followed EE to a tee!
Anyone else have the same problem? I'm in need of some help/inspiration because I'm close to giving in right now!

Was thinking about trying Red/Green days? Does this help?

T.I.A

Xxx

Been doing slimming world for a few months now and lost a little weight but very slowly.
I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid a while back and since starting medication for this I've really struggled and I've put on weight, even though I've followed EE to a tee!
Anyone else have the same problem? I'm in need of some help/inspiration because I'm close to giving in right now!

T.I.A

Xxx

I have under active thyroid on 175mg thyroxine a day. I'm currently 38 weeks pregnant so plan bit relaxed but before I'd lose 0.5-1lb a week? Red days are great for fast losses I found personally but I like carbs too much to have too many red days. X

Hi I was diagnosed over 16 yrs ago with under active thryroid! I have always struggled massively with my weight. Mine is quite an extreme case and I'm on quite a high dose of thyroxine (300mg daily). I have been on sw following ee for 10 weeks now and have lost 1st 10lbs so far. I am so happy with my progress as this is the most successful I've been on a diet but still loads to go! I find I struggle a lot more with weight loss when my thyroid is unbalanced (needs a higher dose). Other sypmtoms of this r sluggish digestive system. Feeling tired and low mood. If any of this rings true just ask doc for a blood test to check for you. It can take a while (many months) for docs to find the exact level of thyroine perfect for you. Other than that the only thing that helps (and has helped in past) is exercise (to help boost metabolism) and reducing (not eliminating) complex carbs like pasta and bread, as I find these slow up my digestion a bit more. In that respect possibly including some red days may help? I may try that in couple of weeks but for now I'm having a push on speed/superspeed foods by having at least one large bowl of speed soup per day and including at least 4 other superspeed foods per day! Do u take ur thyroxine at same time each day? Good luck, please keep me posted on how u get on. K

I'm on a starter dose of 50mcg, it's due to be increased soon, I understand that it can take a long time to get the levels right. From my initial levels my GP thinks that my dosage should be around 150-175mcg but said that the dose can only be increased every 3 months after a blood test...
It's all a bit new to me and I'm still tying to get my head around it all. It's so disheartens when you follow the plan exactly as it should be done and you maintain/gain :(
I'm going to attempt to start exercising (when I find the time!) it's difficult with 2 children and especially when you're feeling tired/exhausted all the time!

Thanks for all your advice :)

Xxx

Don't worry u will get there! It is harder with under active thyroid but def possible! I also have 2 kids (3 and 9months!) And HATE exercise! I made every excuse in book not to! But I started the couch to 5k program and I have no excuses! It starts of easily, and I can take kids in pram and on scooter to park with me to do it! Def worth looking at it! Good luck, its a hard but don't give up on sw it can only be helping where ur at!

Ooo I've never heard of that! I'll look it up, thank you :)
I have 5 year old daughter and a 7 month old son, I do walk my girl to school and back (with the buggy too!) surely that's some form of exercise/body magic lol
I have ordered the 30 day shred, it's only 20-30 minutes a day so I thought I might be able to get into it when my son had his morning nap!
I've stuck to plan all week, weigh-in is in a few days, I'd be happy with just 1lb! Fingers crossed for me :)
You've done so well! :)

Ooo I've never heard of that! I'll look it up, thank you :)
I have 5 year old daughter and a 7 month old son, I do walk my girl to school and back (with the buggy too!) surely that's some form of exercise/body magic lol
I have ordered the 30 day shred, it's only 20-30 minutes a day so I thought I might be able to get into it when my son had his morning nap!
I've stuck to plan all week, weigh-in is in a few days, I'd be happy with just 1lb! Fingers crossed for me :)
You've done so well! :)

I found Pilates for dummies good for weight loss and its 20 mins standing and 15 mat. Also think riding bike is good x

I've been taking 75mcg Thyroxine for a few years now and my weight has crept up and up. I have only just joined and 1st week went ok but not sure if it's going to continue or not. Are you at group? I would ask your Consultant for advice if so. If not, then it well could be a process of elimination, try a week of Green, week of Red or a mixture. You could try a week of Success Express and see if you have any results this way. Also as Kaz says it could be the carbs if you have a lot, although it shouldn't matter according to SW, a lady at group last week was complaining of a poor result eating carbs.
From reading the posts on this site some people just seem to lose slowly despite following the plan. I hope you find the one that works for you - don't give up! :)

I'm hypothyroid too. I'm using extra easy atm and losing so it's possible. I was put on 100mcg straight away in Oct and not changed since. I'm having my next blood test on weds so will see what they say, the last blood test said I was on the correct dose but I'm still having some of the symptoms. I did SW last year before I was diagnosed and lost hardly anything, having more luck with it this time though :)

I'm on 125mg, and have lost 3 and half stone in a year it is possible but the dose has to be right. I have also found that walking has helped me lose weight faster. Good luck

I gained 3lb at weigh in! Stuck to plan all week! Didn't go over any syns! So gutted! I just don't know what's going on :( bl*ody thyroid!

Ah it's one of those weeks I gained 2.5 for no reasons. My body has been through a lot lately so think and hope its just fluid. Just keep going this week, maybe write it down and it will show for both of us next week x

T.I.A

Xxx

How have you been getting on? X

I'm joining class on Monday and also suffer with an Under Active Thyroid, have been on thyroxine for just over 3 years now and the dose still isn't right.....just been increased to 125mg last month so I'm hoping to feel not so sluggish and tired very soon :)

Anyway aiming to lose 4-5 stone altogether but one stone at a time will do :)

I aim to be the Biggest Loser....I don't want to be the Fat Friend anymore :)

Slogged my guts out this week and stuck to plan for a measly 0.5lb loss! I know "a loss is a loss" and "it's better than a gain" but AGAIN I'm so disheartened by all this thyroid business! I dream of the day that my levels are back to normal and I'll be able to lose weight properly!

So upset tonight :(

Slogged my guts out this week and stuck to plan for a measly 0.5lb loss! I know "a loss is a loss" and "it's better than a gain" but AGAIN I'm so disheartened by all this thyroid business! I dream of the day that my levels are back to normal and I'll be able to lose weight properly!

Oh Charlie, I hear you. I don't have an underactive thyroid (well not diagnosed as such....) but I am Type 1 diabetic which also makes losing weight harder (and often comes hand in hand with hypothyroidism, hence me questioning it a bit lately again)

Look at my losses (and gains!) below to see how frustrated I was/am too but am slowly getting there, I am having to take it in mini steps I am afraid! I am doing a week of red days this week to see if that helps things, and cutting back on eating so much fruit.....we will see on Monday!

Oh Charlie, I'm sorry. I know just how you feel at times I could just stand and scream cause I feel like my body is failing somehow!! And I hate it when people look at you as if you have grown an extra head when you try to explain that you do have something wrong that contributed to some of the weight gain!! It's so frustrating and just wants to say I know what you're going through and well done for every half pound case it's still half you've chucked away :) x

Back