Green Day Anyone have a potato rosti recipe?

I-will-be-yummy

I'm on a green day but sick of SW chips n jackets ATM! Would love to make some potato rosti tonight but need a recipe :) xxx

week 1: -0.5lbs ... :'(

From Anthony Telfords the Basics directly - I've only ever made the full fat version pre-SW

Hash brown potato
Serves 4

500 g (about 2 large) potatoes
2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper, to taste
Method:
1. scrub the potatoes—they do not need to be
peeled—then coarsely grate. squeeze the grated potato
slightly to remove some of its water (this makes for a
crispier end result).
2. heat a 30-cm frying pan, preferably nonstick, over
medium–high heat. add the oil and butter.
3. When hot, add the potatoes and push down with a
spatula to spread evenly in the bottom of the pan.
sprinkle the top with salt and pepper. cook until the
bottom is browned and crispy, about 10 minutes. Do not
try to flip until it is browned, or the potatoes might
stick.
4. flip the hash brown, cut into sections if
necessary, and cook another 10 minutes, or until
browned and crispy on the other side.
5. serve immediately, or cool and simply reheat in the
microwave or preferably in a hot oven (210°c) for
5 minutes.

I think if your pan is good enough you can probably get away with oil OR butter, but I think you'll need at least one kind for it to work.

I squeeze the potato "juice" out by grating the potato into a clean teatowel and then wringing

there are loads of recipes if you google baked rosti or baked latkes - some with fancy additions like onions and eggs...

I make a 'potato pie' takes 10 mins in a microwave! Peel some potatoes, slice them thinly like scallops, layer them in a bowl and season every few layers. When you fill the bowl spray a bit of frylight put some cling film over it and prick a few holes into it. Put it into the microwave for 10 minutes. Remove cling film and put a fork or knife through to check if the potatoes are soft, if not stick it back in the microwave for a few more mins until cooked and soft! You could melt some cheese on top too. I love having this with veg, quorn sausages and lots of gravy!

Herby Baby New Potatoes:

Wash some baby potatoes and place in a bowl, add some seasoning and herbs and mix. Spray some butter frylight and cook in the microwave for around 10 mins. If you want you could add some butter or low fat spread and melt over the potatoes once cooked. (2-3 syns) Tastes gorgeous!

Back