Anyone with a Tefal Actifry - help please ..

i love my actifry get one you will love it, the best money i have spent since joining :0) i use frylight in mine and always works out x

I cook mixed veg in it parsnip, carrots, baby sweetcorn, turnip,sweet pot, mushrooms, onion, I even add mushrooms 5 mins before it's done. Of course syn free chips. Chicken with veg is nice too x

I used to parboil my veg then cook it in the oven with oil or Fry Light, taking it out every 10 mins to shake it. Now I just stick it straight in the Actifry, no parboiling or shaking: just set the timer and leave it, and the chips really do taste like "proper" chips, not just chip-shaped potatoes. They are very expensive though, I think you have to be sure you will actually use it (I use mine for most meals now!).

I know you don't need it, but in what way does it make it easier? What do you actually cook in yours?

Mainly chips, roast potatoes and roast vegetables. I've just started cooking low syn sausages in there too and they come out amazing :)

There are so many recipes you can use the Actifry for, just have a look on You Tube for some examples :)

Just to confirm SW-style chips v Actifry I have the following observations.

No need to par-boil
No need to pre-heat the oven
No need to turn half way through.

I have now cooked scampi, sausage, fish fingers, chicken (cut into chunks or strips, and even bacon!

Bacon, sausage, frozen chips, fish fingers, chicken nuggets - anything with a coating do NOT require any added oil(s).

Anything delicate, can be cooked with the paddle removed. For those unaware, the paddle rotates and passes food through the oilfor even cooking, though it can damage delicate food or larger pieces.

Have also made chilli, and roasted vegetables - all succesfully.

On the negative side, it is damn expensive but I use it 4-5 times per week at least and justify the cost. Having tried SW-style chips and roast potatoes - there is no comparison and imho worth the cost for those two alone!

Also, sadly there are one or two quality control issues with the unit and very poor customer service from Tefal (I extended the warranty because of this).

Steve

I made SW chips with just fry light last night using alcholidays method of shaking the chips in a colander and spraying with fry light I also sprayed some more fry light in there half way through as well :)

I would deffo buy one again I use mine at least 3 times a week

xx

Might sound a dull question but I had an acti-fryer for Xmas. I read someone put frozen chips with fry-light in their fryer - Are these free on EE as well or do you have to cut your own from potatoes. Are frozen chips just potatoes already cut???

Might sound a dull question but I had an acti-fryer for Xmas. I read someone put frozen chips with fry-light in their fryer - Are these free on EE as well or do you have to cut your own from potatoes. Are frozen chips just potatoes already cut???

I have used frozen chips in mine some of them are just frozen chip shaped spud but you are best to check. It works really well with frozen chips and doesnt take as long as fresh potato either. I used olive oil with mine before now though so may have to try again with fry light

xx

Yes i would firstly say if you must do frozen chips not to add oil. I believe they are already "blanched" and therefore contain a degree of oil/fat.

Has anyone had the nerve to try cooking chips without oil at all? - I actually did it with roast potatoes, i.e. truly "dry-roasted" them but added synned gravy to them. They seemed fine.

One thing I found when using fry light is to coat the chips before putting them in the Actifry. I use a colander, just give them a shake around as you're spraying them.

Another top tip is to do this with oil/spray/olive oil etc in a freezer bag or similar and add Paprika.

This ensures Paprika-flavoured fries (other spices can be tried) but they are coated to the fries and not blown all over the actifry and potentially blocking the vents!

These are another wee delicacy lol.

Has anyone cooked butternut squash in theirs?
xx

I did roasted butternut squash, sweet potato and carrot in Fry Light then used them in a soup. It had a lovely roasted flavour. It also makes the nicest roasted aubergine.

Oo Thanks Tinsel I wanted a roast flavour but was unsure if it would go mushy
xx

I thought so too, but it was fine (not that it really mattered as it was going in soup anyway). Might depend on the firmness of the squash to start with though: if in doubt, you could always try removing the paddle.

Stupid question alert - when making veg in the Actifry do you use frylight or anything or just whack it in? Sorry to be so thick! :D

I use Fry Light or save a HEB for olive oil, but apparently you can do veg dry as well. Olive oil is nicest for ships though, they're yummy.

Back