Apples and the S symbol

IMetThePieman

I got my new pack today and I'm disappointed that some of my favourite fruits are no longer speed foods. My thinking is that they are all fruits that are quite sweet (bananas, kiwis and grapes etc) so must be higher in natural sugars. Does this mean that certain types of apple, like Pink Lady, might be less speedy than others? My theory might be completely wrong, of course!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

I don't remember the exact wording, but my consultant said that the fruit not classed as speed food is because they're higher in calories, but just as filling as the fruit lower in calories (something like "energy density").

Personally, I'd just trust the plan and wouldn't question different types of apples, or you may end up doing it with everything and not exactly following the plan. It just depends how much this bothers you. For example, I'll still be classing a banana towards my third of what was previously superfree. If it was good enough for years before (and I've lost every week since starting the plan), it's good enough now. So if you feel safer not counting it as a third of your plate as superfree/speed, that's fine too! :)

I think this highlights why SW have changed the wording. My old book was the 2013 one (was there a new one last year?) and bananas, grapes, mangos, persimmons were not Speed fruits then - Superfree, yes, but not Speed. (Speed foods had an S or SS in a circle next to them in those days).

What the change does is encourage us to pick the Speed foods to get the best loss, but bananas etc are still Free Foods are are still good for your health so can still be a part of your diet, but perhaps not on any days when you might choose to follow the short-term EESP booster plan.

I'm with Matt here. Don't try to overthink the plan. if an apple is Speed then have whatever apple you fancy and try not to get hung up about the different types. For the purposes of SW, an apple is an apple is an apple.

Good luck.

I got my new pack today and I'm disappointed that some of my favourite fruits are no longer speed foods. My thinking is that they are all fruits that are quite sweet (bananas, kiwis and grapes etc) so must be higher in natural sugars. Does this mean that certain types of apple, like Pink Lady, might be less speedy than others? My theory might be completely wrong, of course!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

Apples do have an S beside them, whereas bananas,kiwis and grapes don't have it. Hope this helps

I remember being told about 10 years ago by a personal trainer that eating an apple for breakfast is the best way to keep your blood sugars balanced for the rest of the day because of the Pectin on the skin (which obviously applies to apples of all varieties). So for that reason alone, apples of any kind are wonderful for weight loss. And just as a personal anecdote I feel like i have a much easier time controlling my appetite when i've started the day with an apple :)

Back