Arachnophobia

While my kids were growing up, I had a beauty in the kitchen. I had wallpaper and one of the corners started to peel and curl up. I was going to sort it when I realised that there was a spider living there who was catching flies as they came in through the kitchen window. She was brilliant and earned her stay of demolition - unfortunately she bit the dust when she tried to catch a wasp! The kids (even my lovely youngest daughter who was, and still is scared of spiders) were sad when she went x

:sign0007:Hi Anne - I hope our light hearted little forray into the world of spiders hasn't offended you. Different people have different views on and experiences with spiders. This little thread was, I believe, inspired by Taz who works on the trains and found spiders abseiling SAS style towards her in her cab. The story she told was SO TAZ - and SO FUNNY. I know Taz very well and have stayed in a guest house in Cornwall with her when in the middle of the night I was awoken with an emergency phone call. Having dressed, come downstairs and entered her room I spent the next hour trying to coax Speedy, the tinyest spider ever, out from under the skirting board. I have been part of and indeed sorted out many such incidents but they do have their comedy element, both in the reaction to such a small creature and the "heroics" employed in its persuit, sometimes far more dangerous than the perceived danger from Speedy.

Please don't be offended by our humour - we are all aware of the serious side of phobia and we all realise too that Taz, a black belt in karate, is no push over and faces life with much courage and determination - a lion and mouse situation really. Please don't think we are being disrespectful or lacking in understanding x

Last edited:
Anne :welcome: to minis and please don't think we have pictures of big spiders on all our threads x

I guessed what the photo was going to be Jim & I haven't actually been able to look at it! I'm just a tad terrified of the critters!!!! :O

Some people are Cinta but as you say, it was quite obvious and I think it was quite OK to put the picture on. I actually like the critters, despite being bitten once by a nasty little black spider I found with a red underside - and that after 40 odd years of picking up spiders (in my hand) for other people without problem. The one that bit me had been harassed by a group of children so I came to sort it out and it hung onto my thumb and wouldn't shake off. I still pick them up but use the glass and paper method now.

I hate slugs and would freak at touching one but I still meet them in the garden and can do nothing about that at all x

lol, Gem, that must of been a shock! My husband picked on up to take out for me & he got bitten!

Although I knew I wouldn't be able to look at it, I'm sure lots of others find them no problem.
When I'm in the garden they don't worry me so much, it's just indoors.

It was a shock - I was at youth club and the kids were saying "Are you going to die?" I was walking around with my thumb in a cup of really hot water to take any toxins out and I said "Well, I haven't dropped down dead yet - so I guess I'll live". Unknown to me my son had gone to a friend's to ring a medical friend as he had seen the red belly on the spider. The friend said to get me to A&E so I went. Several hours later we were still sat in A&E and it was 2am. We were all so tired that it seemed more dangerous to wait and then drive home much later than to make the decision that if I was going to keel over I would've done so by now - so we went home.

The hard lump on my thumb was there until I bit it off (and obviously spat it out) a few months later - people teased me that it would be full of eggs and I would give birth to hundreds of spiders from my thumb - It wasn't and I didn't x

Back