are own brands, smart price, tesco value just as good? & what items to buy

debtin

Gold Member
just wondered if the lower branded goods are of the same quality and any more or less fattening? dont get me wrong i do buy or used to buy smart price biscuits etc but just wondered how the veg etc was - follow ee as was just wondering if the syns value were typically higher or not - thanks

I always buy the cheaper veg. I don't believe there is much difference other than its packaged differently! Tastes the same.

As for packet/tinned foods I think its a personal choice. They tend to have around the same ingredients give or take a few grams. But its worth checking the salt/sugar as I've found sometimes they increase this for better taste! Sneeky lol

Hope this helps :)

I'm struggling with all the fruit and veg on EE. I find that sometimes the cheaper brands can be a much poorer quality with regards to fresh produce and doesn't last as long.
I'm very fussy when it comes to fruit and veg, more fruit. I don't like it if it's too old, bruised or battered.
I prefer tesco produce to asda, find it lasts longer.

Suesp8o said:
I'm struggling with all the fruit and veg on EE. I find that sometimes the cheaper brands can be a much poorer quality with regards to fresh produce and doesn't last as long.
I'm very fussy when it comes to fruit and veg, more fruit. I don't like it if it's too old, bruised or battered.
I prefer tesco produce to asda, find it lasts longer.

I do agree Tesco's really does do better quality veg and fruit that lasts longer too.

However I do buy the value stuff like carrots, onions, broccoli, peppers and find that the same as the higher prices veg.

The only higher priced veg/fruit I buy would be strawberries and marris piper potatos as they cook so much better!!! I always keep fruit and veg in fridge too, it seems to last a lot longer. Failing that frozen veg is good too and lasts longer :)

Frozen veg is probably 'fresher' than fresh which may have travelled a long way and already be several days old. Often the cheaper veg is the same as the other except it may not look as pretty! I buy Tesco Market value apples and they're the same except some are odd sizes/ bit wonky looking. A wonky pepper tastes the same!

I buy Tesco Market Value fruit and veg too. They wouldn't win any prizes in a beauty contest but taste just as good :)

I am more than happy to buy cheapo tins of toms, spuds & kidney beans for chucking in a curry, chilli etc.

Back