• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Are we allowed?

How about the extra lean mince I bought! It is extra lean but fat is 4.5gq???

Arghhh this is the meat I have been using in my meat loafs !!!! I never saw the fat content, I just rread the "extra lean" and thought it was fine...

i vaguely remember in the Dukan book that around 4g fat per 100g is acceptable for lean meat?

Mirjam

Never Ever Give Up!
5% fat contents in meat is the maximum you're allowed on Dukan.

Thank you!

This may be a stupid question but if you used 12% mince and drained all the fat including mopping it up dry would it still be 12% or would that lower the fat content?

The reason I ask is because my husband picked up three large packs of the 12% mince yesterday!

perhaps if you slowly cook the mince on a low heat then when cooked thru plop in a sieve until no more fat/juice runs off, then clean the frying pan before putting mince back in pan..?

i do this even with extra lean mince.

belt and braces an' all that....

Curvy, what do you do when cooking meatloaf?

Thank you Curvy. It does seem if you drain the fat it would make it very lean. I also drain the 5% mince but I will try to be much more thorough with the 12%.

Alessandra, When I make meatloaf, I mix all the ingredients in a bowl and then kind of pack it in once mixed well and the turn the bowl over on a baking tray covered in foil. It keeps the shape of the bowl like a large ball and after it cooks the fat forms on the outside and I cut this away when it is finished cooking.

I find If I cook it in a loaf pan for example and there is no where the fat can go it is reabsorbed in the meat. I know there are special pans made for meatloaf that allows the fat to drip to the bottom but I haven't seen one here in the UK so find this method works well.

I got one of those cheap silicon loaf forms and I just made a few holes in the bottom with a knitting needle, necessity being the mother of invention and all that! Then I pop it on a rack with a tin underneath to contain the drippings!

This may be a stupid question but if you used 12% mince and drained all the fat including mopping it up dry would it still be 12% or would that lower the fat content?
I do this too and have often wondered how effective it really is. I can't afford to buy extra lean mince every time.

What I do is I start frying the mince and as soon as fat is produced I drain it off and fill the frying pan up with water to soak/rinse the mince and skim off even more fat. I fry some more until a little more fat is produced and repeat the process about 4 or 5 times until the mince seems really lean.

I hope that makes sense!

It seems to work for me and I get 2x as much mince for my money.

Maintainer

** Chief WITCH **
What you're all explaining re fat for mince is perfect. Just avoid the really low cost mince which is 20% fat usually.

For meat though, try to avoid the cheaper cuts per the advice in the book or you'll have a lot of work to do with your knife before cooking it!