Arrowroot - allowed or tolerated?

robinhood

Gold Member
I can't remember which. It would only be a teaspoonful or less a couple of times a week (as I'd like my custard a bit thicker now!)

Does anyone know?

I haven't the foggiest - and even having googled it, I'm none the wiser!

Cornflour (Maizena) is tolerated at 1 tablespoon a day...

Otherwise I have used "agar agar" as a thickener - a little awkward to gauge...

This might help to explain -

Cornflour and arrowroot are both thickening agents.

However they differ slightly in both appearance and usage.

Cornflour, or more accurately, Cornstarch, is a fine white powder that is made from grinding the heart of the corn kernel.
It has a cloudy, opaque appearance when mixed in water. It can be used to thicken soups, make pastry cream, prepare roux and also serve as a light substitute for flour (but used in conjuction with flour) in some cakes and pastries.

Arrowroot is an easily digested starch extracted from the roots of the arrowroot plant, Maranta arundinacea

Arrowroot has a more specialized usage because unlike cornflour, it does not turn the liquid opaque and does not cause any discoloration (clear). It is also flavour neutral and has no taste. Therefore, its more suited to be used in products where the color and taste is an issue (jellies, puddings, cakes, curries etc.)

It has the same amount of carbs as cornflour, so I suppose that's my question answered (although I'd only use a teaspoonful for the amount of custard I make). It's good because it doesn't need cooked as long as cornflour (no 'floury' taste to be got rid of).

If you have some fruit flavourings, you could make jelly with it or the agar-agar, Jo :p.

Very interesting indeed, Laura... Je me coucherai moins bête ce soir! (Is there an equivalent in English?).

So much for my "O" level in Food & Nutrition huh?! I'd heard of it, but had no idea what it was or how it was used! Interesting re jellies but given my limited experience of agar agar, it seems a difficult thing to dose...

Very interesting indeed, Laura... Je me coucherai moins bête ce soir! (Is there an equivalent in English?).

So much for my "O" level in Food & Nutrition huh?! I'd heard of it, but had no idea what it was or how it was used! Interesting re jellies but given my limited experience of agar agar, it seems a difficult thing to dose...

I have no idea, my English sayings (and slang) knowledge is seriously out of date. I wish my kids would use English with me (then I'd know)!

Maybe I'll try some orange jelly (using oranges so you'd have to use flavouring if you do try) for the kids as a reward for going back to school and giving my ears a rest (3 days to go and counting every minute)....The school holidays are 10 days too long, everything was fine until about week ago!

(Sorry, personal gripe :eek:).

Only 10 days too long? The son of a friend has been off since mid-June... incredible! Then they get these crazy timetables... I remember having dinner one night with my godson who could hardly keep awake over his dinner yet still had homework to do! 8am to 6pm that day he'd been at school!

Yup, that will be when they get to lycée. My eldest starts secondary (am dreading the 7.15 school bus). Added to the fact that the middle one will be in CE1 which means more homework (CP = 5 minutes reading homework, CE1 at least 1/2 hour). Oh and 3 different schools. Fun! Plus the sports runs and other activities. That's why I like the holidays, but they've been together just a wee bit too long now.

For Thursday and Friday, I am doing nothing that involves noise while they aren't here:D.

Do yours do a four day week? Another weird French thing! OK I know it used to be Saturday mornings too, but that was even more inconvenient for parents!

While the UK system might have other shortcomings, I think the shorter holidays, shorter school days, and longer weeks are the way forward...

Poor you, three kids, three schools... mind you, in our day, we had to head off on shanks' pony!

Do yours do a four day week? Yes, the eldest will have 4 1/2 day week, with the Wednesday afternoon optional (sports/activities)

Another weird French thing! OK I know it used to be Saturday mornings too, but that was even more inconvenient for parents!
(Not as inconvenient as the 'soutien scolaire' which has replaced the 1/2 days on either Wed or Sat. Each school is different, but it's difficult to schedule in ours and not child/parent-friendly hours)

While the UK system might have other shortcomings, I think the shorter holidays, shorter school days, and longer weeks are the way forward...

(Shorter days would be nice, especially when homework follows). Longer holidays at Christmas (they're always hyper and tired afterwards) and shorter in summer. The other holidays are fine!

Poor you, three kids, three schools... mind you, in our day, we had to head off on shanks' pony!

It's not the getting them there (buses for the older 2) just when there's appointments - I'm sure I'll be missing a few...

My officemate sometimes has to bring her daughter in! Paying childcare throughout these lengthy holidays works out a pricey business so, at times, in she comes!

Back