Artificial Sweetner

GymClassHero

Silver Member
Hello!

Ive been looking for recipes for buns and cakes because ive bought some polenta today from holland and barrat but have no idea what to do with it! Lol

Anyhow, whilst looking for some recipes ive noticed that artificial sweetner is feature A LOT in the baking recipes, sometimes up to 1/2 a mug for a small cake.

I know its free, but is it not bad for you in other ways (i.e. teeth, blood sugar etc) to consume artificial sweetner in such exessive amounts?

I've also noticed its near the top of the list of ingredients in most very low fat yogurts and things such as WW desserts, this concerns me as well.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Hi -if you do a search on aspartme on Google you'll find lots of info. Likewise there have been lengthy debates here in the past. At the end of the say everyone has to make their own decision on what is best for their body.

For the polenta there is a good recipe in the recipe forum for cornbread. It taste great with chilli and rice, or as something to take to work for lunch.

there are lots of articles about this, mainly about aspartame. I know it's banned in some countries and I have a friend who avoids it because of this.
Personally, I don't worry but I do see where you are coming from especially in baking as they do use a lot of it in the recipes.

It all depends how you feel about artificial things tbh, I do agree that with baking, it's best to use the real thing and eat less - low fat cake just doesn't do it for me but that's because of taste than anything else.

So, if you look, you will certainly find things written against artificial sweeteners, it up to you whether or not you avoid it hun.

Back