Atkina foods - help needed!

Nikki<3

Gold Member
Hi guys and gals,

So I'm off my first Atkins food shop today and just need some advice....

What sausages does everyone buy?
What cream is best to buy?
Can I have tinned tomatoes? I can see these in recipes but can't see them in my book.
Peperami.... Is this referring to the ones in the green packets?

And finally I was looking for an acceptable curry recipe on induction, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: forgot to ask.... What about lemon juice? Is this from a lemon or can I just use the pancake day style lemon?

Last edited:
Hi There,

I am not an expert BUT I don't buy sausages at all. You could buy minced pork and make your own from "allowed" ingredience. A lot of sausages contain bulkers from flour / starch / wheat.

Tinned tomatoes are okay - but again check the carb content. Sainsburys basics chopped tomatoes are 0.6 whereas a more expensive brand is nearly 6g. Check that they don't contain any sugar.

Heavy cream is double cream. You can use single or whipping but remember you need to up your fats.

Your lemon juice allowance can come from "Jif" or a bottle. Just again, make sure there is no sugar added.

My first atkins shop was a 3 hour bonanza of checking labels - you need to check,check, check .. I was so surprized at the amount of hidden sugar and carbs in a lot of foods I would have thought were okay.

I have half a pepperami as a snack - but I try not to indulge too much, I think they should be a treat or part of a meal rather than a daily thing. Pork rinds (I just eat 4 or 5 - probably 1/10th of a bag) are good if you need to snack.

Hope this helps ... I am coming to the end of week one and it is an absolute mind field! You have to totally change the way you think and prepare food .. but it's worth it, I promise :)

Hi Hun,

welcome!! i buy The Black Farmer sausages (i get them from Tesco) and they are only 1g carb per sausage! xxx

Thanks both of you :)

Is there any particular brand of cream I should buy, I've read not to buy elmlea?

Also when I'm checking carbs I see for example Peperami says carb 0.6 of which sugars trace. Which number do I take note of?

I'm taking OH with me later. We have just got off a cruise in Southampton and are currently at services. I couldn't find anything low carb so I opted for babybel, Peperami an water (OH is say with a giant Yorkie!)

Xx

hey hun,

go for any brand apart from the Elmlea because this is like half fat. So for example i buy Tesco own full fat double cream . . . delish!!

i take note of Carbs as well as the of which sugars. I think it is the total carbs and not just the sugars. Bare in mind the guidline is 20g carbs a day, made up of 15g veggies and 5g other foods.

Good option!! babybells are yummy!!! good luck hun!! xxx

and btw sooooo jealous that you've just got off a cruise!! lucky! hope you had a lovely time. xxx

Fab thanks hun :) ill have a look for a good cream them. Think I'll do a creamy curry with a side of spinach and cauli rice. I'll hopefully have a better day tomorrow with carb portions.

Super excited about the shopping lol oh an exciting afternoon hehe

Xx

haha i was excited when i did my first Atkins shop last week! soooo much yummy food :)! enjoy...xxx

Ahh sausages.

Gluten free sausages have very low carbs and also continental sausages don't tend to use bulkers the way British sausages do.

If you're going to Tesco, Sainsburys or Aldi look out for the Continental Selection Bratwurst (pic below) as they're only 1g carb for a huuuuge 90g sausage.

112100.jpg

-Pudding- said:
Ahh sausages.

Gluten free sausages have very low carbs and also continental sausages don't tend to use bulkers the way British sausages do.

If you're going to Tesco, Sainsburys or Aldi look out for the Continental Selection Bratwurst (pic below) as they're only 1g carb for a huuuuge 90g sausage.

Mmmm I love a bratwurst! Drooling now....

Thanks for the sausage tips! It's something I have been missing (on day 6 .. hilarious, not as if ive had to live without sausages for life :) )

Marks and spenders do big fat sausages which are 93% pork, they are less than a carb each and good price too - two packs are £3.50

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Ooh, I'll definitely try those sausages from M&S.

I usually have Speedy Sausages from Tesco. They're little mini sausages and the pack comes in two sections. Each one contains 100g and the label says they're (if I remember correctly) 0.9g carbs per 100g. So pretty low, and a decent portion. And they're already part cooked, so they're quick.

reluctant_whale said:
Tinned tomatoes are okay - but again check the carb content. Sainsburys basics chopped tomatoes are 0.6 whereas a more expensive brand is nearly 6g. Check that they don't contain any sugar.

Sorry RW, but I'm not sure that's right :( I think a tin of the basics would work out to 12g carb per tin. See:
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sain.../sainsburys_basics_chopped_tomatoes_400g.html

That's the other thing to watch - nutritional info can be sneaky, giving you carb counts per 100g or for quantities that are smaller than you're planning to use. :sigh:

Yes always check the labels and look at total carbs.

There is a sticky with low carb brands for sausages and other items - take a look and feel free to add your own findings:D

Sorry!! I was wrong ref tinned tomatoes - I was thinking of the little spoonful I have as "ketchup" rather than a full whack - sorry guys!

Ah, that makes sense! :D I figured it was a typo of sorts, cos it's true that those 'basics' ones have 2g less per tin (as compared to say Napolina canned tomatoes) - and every little helps, right? :)

As for sausages, I keep trying and trying to find a low carb type that I actually like. The trouble is, I just don't particularly like the texture of most lower carb sausages - too coarse by half or flavoured much too strongly with herbs.

I tried Jamie Oliver's Cheeky Chipolatas the other day and they were rank - I don't know what herbs were in them but it reminded me of the smell that used to come from my primary school's cleaning cupboard - yak! :sign0137:

Just thought I'd update with a wee tip! I ordered a meat box from a local organic, free-range farm that's being delivered today. Like many farms who sell direct, this one makes their sausages and bacon on the premises.

Anyhoo I phoned them up when ordering to ask what was in the sausages as I was low carbing and they offered to make me some specially with absolutely zero fillers; just 100% gloucester old spot pork and some herbs.

So if you order meat boxes, it may well be worth phoning up the farm/producer to ask if they leave all bulkers out of your bangers!

Back